• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Car Owned

The Annoying Guy

The P11 I would say is one of the best Jap cars around for those who enjoy driving, this side of the WRX and EVOs and the Skylines. If you look at its history, look no further than the BTCC track records. I would call it the Goldilocks Car... ;) Not too fast, not too slow... jusssst right. Well balanced, very polite road manners but a beast if pushed beyond 5000rpm.

Was driving the E36 and the P11 back to back for almost a year and the P11 always came on top.

Same in my case as well.... HP11

The new (2001) VW bug 1.8T for me,

Bought instead of a vitz, it's a great small hatch for daily use, but it was very hard finding a well looked after one, considering most of them were tortured.

It has almost no turbo lag so great for short distances

Specially love the active spoiler.

Edited by Sithira Randula

Technically the answer got to be my current 2000 Subaru Legacy Twin Turbo Manual.

But if the question relates to cars used as daily runners then out of the list that includes 1996 Nissan Pulsar FN15, 2001 Honda City VTEC, 1993 Toyota Town Ace, 1997 Nissan Cefiro A32 Excimo G, 2008 Toyota Axio X and the Legacy, Cefiro tops them all for overall competence. Surely it doesn't handle as good as Legacy nor is as fast nor is as new as Axio but is surely the overall winner.

Best in terms of performance is my Civic FD2.

But the car that i wont put a price on is my 1985 Ford Laser. All other cars will come and go , but this baby is going to stay.

She`s got the body work restored and a new paint job recently: :)

sdc13333.jpg

Wow man good stuff. Lots of nice memories in the car right :wink :wink? I remember one of the first things you did after getting the car was to get the AC working :P

Wow man good stuff. Lots of nice memories in the car right :wink :wink? I remember one of the first things you did after getting the car was to get the AC working :P

Whoa, it`s good ol` isurujosh who has finally got a joy ride..!! good stuff machan..

Yea, fabulous memories indeed.. <_< Actually, I was to get the AC fixed, but never did for 6 years.. she`s got AC now. :)

Whoa, it`s good ol` isurujosh who has finally got a joy ride..!! good stuff machan..

Yea, fabulous memories indeed.. <_< Actually, I was to get the AC fixed, but never did for 6 years.. she`s got AC now. :)

really, i thought you got it fixed back then it self, considering your usage :P

im curious to know which car u owned out of the few of them in town. at one time there were about 4 cars racing in the 8-10 class

Sorry, this thread seem to have fallen off the radar.

It was a KJ reg car, had it only for about a year, got it since the B4 was out of action for a few weeks, so instead of renting a car I just bought one. Although I re sold it at a profit it was rather difficult to part with, just wish I had built a house with room for 3 cars...

It was not put on the track as far as I know, Do you know how to upload pics ?, I seem to be struggling...

W220 S320 CDI . The comfort is top class. People may complain about its unreliability because there are just too many electronic functions and airmatic suspension, but if treated right and pampered well, this baby is unmatchable.

I am a car enthusiest and i do not have one "best Car". i have bought and sold cars from so many different manifactures and i have few best cars that i have owned or driven. reliablity wise i love toyotas.

1992 Toyota Camry (400,000+ Miles)

1998 Toyota Avalon ( abused and still running: towed a 18 foot boat, towed a Ford expedition etc)

79 Toyota Hilux

Most Practical yet powerful and handles well

2006 Subaru Legacy GT (AWD, 4 doors, Mid-size, Powerful)

Quitest, Luxuriest and most comfortable (i never owned it but driven it alot)

06 Lexus LS430

Luxury Performance

All the M3s (oned an older M3 but driven new a new one)

Tough one.... All things considered I'll have to say my good old LN106 Hilux.

Bought brand new 18 years ago, something over 450,000 KM on the clock (Odo was broken for a year, fixed now) rebuilt once, 200k ago.... Used for everything; work commuting, helping friends move house, crawling up muddy trails in central SL, hauling fenceposts for the farm and even hauling ass over the straight roads of the north central province (It tops out at 140-ish, doesn't like it very much though!)

Nothing else has come close as far as sheer durability and all round usefulness is concerned. You really have to use one over a long period of time to properly appreciate it.

Its surprisingly amusing to drive as well.... in a vintage, all four leaf springs kinda way.

I don't think i'll ever want to get rid of it honestly, this one's a keeper.

Edited by Supra_Natural

• 3 weeks later...

has to be my liteace noah. for me its an institution.

it taught me how to drive, taught me how cars work and how to look after them, taken me and my loved ones to all corners in sri lanka, towed other vehicles out of trouble, hauled parts when they were broken, carried supplies for people in need, ferried sick and dying to medical care, carried pretty much everything i own, embarrassed newer fitter vehicles, showed me and my numerous girlfriends over the years a good time in the back ;) traveled across undrivable terrain for important projects, made a brilliant makeshift pub and a hotbox, its been slept in, painted on, driven through floods, riots, nearly everything you can imagine.

best of all, when something goes wrong I can fix it for 3.50. Don't have to think twice about leaving it on the side of the road in any part of town, it keeps up with all kinds of traffic, returns a very reasonable amount of kms per litre no matter how i drive it, will carry 7 people in comfort over almost any terrain thanks to 4wd and soft suspension and various other late 90's gizmos like dual zone climate control and power this and that.

Honestly, I don't think I can ever replace it even if I tried.

Edited by JadeyBlitzen
  • Like 3

• 11 years later...
On 1/30/2012 at 9:09 AM, Scooter said:

Looking back thru all the year and thru all the tears...4 me its gotta be my 850cc 1966 Mini-Moke!!!! (1968 to 1970) Yah! And to my amazement that car FRK207D still appears to be registered in the UK but now it's red and not green. Bought it off a Kings Road, Chelsea photographer who had used it to wheel Dolly birds around. I think he'd seen too many episodes of Prisoner. Memories, I tell you.......

Hi Scooter, I hope you are OK and still accessing this forum. I am the current owner (since late 2012) of FRK207D although I bought her as a pile of rust and dust with the VIN, Commission Number, Body plate and Reg doc, she is now nearing completion with a new body shell etc. Am researching here provenance. The person who found her in a field in 2004 decided to register her with DVLA as the V5 was obviously missing but the original rear plate was still there. I still have it. The reg is from Chelsea which makes sense but said person made an error in declaring 1st registration in 2005. I am looking for proof that FRK was 1st registered in 1966 (built in 1964 and destined originally for Devon in 1965 - one of the Devonshire Fire Brigade Mokes, but presumably not taken by them, then transferred to Chelsea Austin dealer). Anyway, I was wondering if you might have any old photos of FRK back in the day. I would really appreciate a scan as would help with the correction of V5. Many thanks in advance

IMG_4426 2.jpeg

IMG_4441.jpg

15 hours ago, JanZ64 said:

Hi Scooter, I hope you are OK and still accessing this forum. I am the current owner (since late 2012) of FRK207D although I bought her as a pile of rust and dust with the VIN, Commission Number, Body plate and Reg doc, she is now nearing completion with a new body shell etc. Am researching here provenance. The person who found her in a field in 2004 decided to register her with DVLA as the V5 was obviously missing but the original rear plate was still there. I still have it. The reg is from Chelsea which makes sense but said person made an error in declaring 1st registration in 2005. I am looking for proof that FRK was 1st registered in 1966 (built in 1964 and destined originally for Devon in 1965 - one of the Devonshire Fire Brigade Mokes, but presumably not taken by them, then transferred to Chelsea Austin dealer). Anyway, I was wondering if you might have any old photos of FRK back in the day. I would really appreciate a scan as would help with the correction of V5. Many thanks in advance

OMG !!! If this is legit it is nothing short of amazing !!!

Sadly we haven't seen @Scooter on the forums since 2014 :( but we would love to see how the Moke progresses..

• 4 weeks later...

Hi and thanks for commenting. Yes, it is legit - 😄..... English Mokes are quite few and far between and quite amazing finds crop up every now and then. Problem now with many Moke owners is age and memory 😂. I have been trying to contact Scooter for a while and it seems I managed to find him back in 2012 via this forum. I just downloaded an old .pst file after having found that he joined the Mokeclub forum in 2012 and we had exchanged some messages there as well about FRK. He promised to send some pictures but they never materialised. Imagine my surprise when I found I registered as JanZ Moke on this forum already around September 2012. I tried to log on but got a message that the profile was Banned.
I will keep you posted on Moke progress.
I hope Scooter is alright but a person who owned a Moke in 1968 could well be on the way or past 80 now...... DVLA records weren't well maintained before 1979 so hard to find information. My registration document shows 1st registration in UK in 2005. I know that isn't correct but getting them to acknowledge it is difficult without some proof or pictures.

On 6/19/2023 at 4:07 AM, iRage said:

OMG !!! If this is legit it is nothing short of amazing !!!

Sadly we haven't seen @Scooter on the forums since 2014 :( but we would love to see how the Moke progresses..

Hi iRage, I went back into the annals of fora or is it forums and and uncovered some old communication from Scooter's wife. I wrote to her and she got back to me the next day - very kind. Sadly, Scooter passed away suddenly in 2020. I'm going to stay in touch with his wife and keep her posted on progress with 'Mokie' as I now know FRK was called in 1968.
Naturally, I will keep posting progress on this forum as well. Seems like a fun site. I have never been to Sri Lanka but my grandparents have, back in the early 70's en route to Bangkok where I spent my youth. We have several Sri Lanka members in our club (Mini Moke Club - www.mokeclub.org) - so I may decide to make a 2 center holiday to include Colombo and hopefully see some of the Mokers and other car fans. Scooter posted on our forum as well and sent brilliant videos from British Pathé about Mokes. I will share in due course.

• Like 1