• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Building Electric Circuits - Good Place To Buy Stuff ??

dushanf

Question

Hi everyone,

When I was schooling a long time ago I used to build circuits as a hobby. Few days ago it got my interest again and thought of polishing up my memory on building circuits. But now I'm in colombo and I don't know where to buy items such as transistors, capacitors, soldering irons, ics etc..

can anyone suggest me a good place (all under one roof) to buy these items?

Apologies that its not a topic that falls under vehicles off the shelf.

Thanks a lot..

Dush

17 answers to this question

You could try,

1. Vicram Plaza No 51 1st Cross Street pettah. (lot of shops with lot of items.)

2. Asia electronics, 1St cross street pettah. (mostly crowded all time.)

3. Unitec, 1St cross Street ( lot of items related to embedded systems, if you work with MCU, MPU)(again mostly crowded and unless you are Muslim, you wont get much attention)

4. Sena electronics, 1st Cross Street.

5. Digital electronics in Vicram plaza (Ariyapala Aiya’s kade) reliable source for good parts and friendly service and I think only Sinhala kade in vicram plaza.

6. YMBA Borella, Senith electronics. (Expensive)

7. there is kade, (which I don’t remember name) at kurusa junction near Moratuwa.

(No offence to any one and this is my experience working with hobby electronics over 20 years.)

:)

Hi everyone,

When I was schooling a long time ago I used to build circuits as a hobby. Few days ago it got my interest again and thought of polishing up my memory on building circuits. But now I'm in colombo and I don't know where to buy items such as transistors, capacitors, soldering irons, ics etc..

can anyone suggest me a good place (all under one roof) to buy these items?

Apologies that its not a topic that falls under vehicles off the shelf.

Thanks a lot..

Dush

'dushanf',

You can buy all electronic items from 1st cross street colombo 11 (Pettah) all what you have mentioned above.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

You could try,

1. Vicram Plaza No 51 1st Cross Street pettah. (lot of shops with lot of items.)

2. Asia electronics, 1St cross street pettah. (mostly crowded all time.)

3. Unitec, 1St cross Street ( lot of items related to embedded systems, if you work with MCU, MPU)(again mostly crowded and unless you are Muslim, you wont get much attention)

4. Sena electronics, 1st Cross Street.

5. Digital electronics in Vicram plaza (Ariyapala Aiya’s kade) reliable source for good parts and friendly service and I think only Sinhala kade in vicram plaza.

6. YMBA Borella, Senith electronics. (Expensive)

7. there is kade, (which I don’t remember name) at kurusa junction near Moratuwa.

(No offence to any one and this is my experience working with hobby electronics over 20 years.)

:)

Thanks a lot for your quick reply with lots of valuable information. I appreciate it a lot. Thanks again and have a great week....

Also try silvertones at vauxhall street, kumarasinghe radio was also popular back in the days but dont know if its still exist.

'Reckless',

Yes they are still at Peoples park near old gas works station Pettah bus stand. I remember the used to have radio kits.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'Reckless',

Yes they are still at Peoples park near old gas works station Pettah bus stand. I remember the used to have radio kits.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

yeah I remember I had their booklets and advertisements about their radio kits and components good to know that they are still around. and electronics is a very good hobby you can learn and build lots of cool stuff and its even usefull for cars.

I remember Zenith; and the circuit books they used to publish. Simple radios, flashing lights, counters, etc. We would build these at the electronics club after school. It was fun!

Members,

You can go to web and Log into hobby electronics circuits there plenty of sites on the web.

http://www.bowdenshobbycircuits.info/

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Also try silvertones at vauxhall street, kumarasinghe radio was also popular back in the days but dont know if its still exist.

silvertones in my opinion is not for hobby guys....because they are more into high quality stuff with professionalism in mind.