• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

406 Cooling Fan(S)

techlove

Question

My cooling fan does not stop working after ignition is turned off.I couldn't get to a mechanic yet so disconnected the battery for now.

Coolent level is fine,temperature readings are normal,belt and horses are good,no leaks,no messages on display,everything else is in order.

What are the areas I can check before go to a mechanic? Fuse box? Temperature sensor? ,if it is easy to reach?

I always wanted to know how to read the fuse box of this car.Can someone give me the lay out of it?

IT's a D9 with climate control.

5 answers to this question

did you give it some time to switch off? sometimes if the temperature is too high at the point of switching off the engine, ECU and Fan control unit lets fans to run for sometime before switching them off. Usually this is maximum 5 to 10 mins depending on the condition/situation.

however, if they ever run, I would start looking from the three relays (assuming this is the double fan model since you said fans) located in the middle of the fan tube. You can access them by removing the grill, there's a small box with a cup secured by two screws. Inside, you can find three green color relays. check the one in the middle to see whether the relay contact points are stuck.

if the fans goes off after 5-10 minutes from the ignition switch off time, there's some issue in the cooling system as the cooling may not be efficient. it can be due to temperature probes, bad water fan, air trapped inside the system, etc.

had the same problem for a 2000 model 406. (in england)

problem is with the relay. there should be a blue relay near fans. (in a box with 3 relays, 2 green and a blue) u need to remove the shell to access them. remove the blue colour relay, then shake it well and then put it back. better if you replace the relay.

Problem solved.

It was the middle relay.It was a little dirty when removed,so I cleaned the relay and the socket with some contact cleaner fluid,reconnected and everything is good.

Thanx guys !

I am still interested in how to read the fuse box,coz the box cover has no reading lable.Anybody has it?

Problem solved.

It was the middle relay.It was a little dirty when removed,so I cleaned the relay and the socket with some contact cleaner fluid,reconnected and everything is good.

Thanx guys !

I am still interested in how to read the fuse box,coz the box cover has no reading lable.Anybody has it?

Great! Google for the fuse box codes