• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Led Parking Lights.

mensoft

hi, nice work buddy. i too love building circuits.

i am assuming the resister is to save the bulbs when supply goes beyond 12v,

and the cap is to bypass any spikes in the supply so that the bulbs wont flicker.

but, what actually the extra diode is for? to avoid any damage from incorrect polarity? i thought the bulbs itself being diodes can handle it.

Thanks for the comment Bro.

Diod for protect from any reverse voltages :sport-smiley-027:

Capacitor for filter any large spikes that can burn LEDs (This have made for car. not for just 12V)

Resistor to limit the current.

Edited by mensoft

'E L N I N O',

Yes to your post. some circuit builders have this as safty. I do not know the reosen for the diode in front of the circuit.

I am more towrds to electrical not much in electronics. During my time there were metal rectifier and valve rectifier.for AC to DC.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Actually I would think that the capacitor is to let the bulbs "fade out" rather than just flash out. With this as soon as the 12v DC supply shuts out the capacitor would start discharging and the diode will make sure the current flows through the bulbs and not back to the + end of the 12v line. Though that doesnt look like a very high capacity capacitor being used.

Edited by Watchman

Thanks for the comment Bro.

Diod for protect from any reverse voltages :sport-smiley-027:

Capacitor for filter any large spikes that can burn LEDs (This have made for car. not for just 12V)

Resistor to limit the current.

What you should be using to prevent large spikes is a zener diode. Once the capacitor is fully charged (which is wont take even a second) electricity will no longer flow through it :) O/L electronics bro :)

Try connecting a LED and a capacitor in series and try it out. The bulb will glow for a quick moment while the current flows (and charges the capacitor) and then stop glowing once its fully charged.

Members,

Zener Diode to my knowlege gives a regulated voltage it is not necessary for this 4 LED circuit.

MENSOFT circuit is the correct circuit without a zener diode. As this is a simple LED light arrangement 12 volts DC povered.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Actually I would think that the capacitor is to let the bulbs "fade out" rather than just flash out. With this as soon as the 12v DC supply shuts out the capacitor would start discharging and the diode will make sure the current flows through the bulbs and not back to the + end of the 12v line. Though that doesnt look like a very high capacity capacitor being used.

Machan I may be wrong but i don't think the cap used here really accomplishes the 'fade' effect. It is a ceramic chip capacitor and not very high in capacity to begin with. But I do agree that the diode would come in handy if a bigger cap is used and the fading would then be noticeable. My guess is in this scenario the cap just bypasses any ripples that might be visible in the supply due to alternator or any other component. As I remember caps allow AC to pass through, though it blocks DC.

• Like 1

Members,

Zener Diode to my knowlege gives a regulated voltage it is not necessary for this 4 LED circuit.

MENSOFT circuit is the correct circuit without a zener diode. As this is a simple LED light arrangement 12 volts DC povered.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

No a zener diode blocks a current flow upto a certain voltage. Anything beyond that it flows; so in this case had he used a 12v zener, it would prevent anything more than 12 volts across the LED bulb set.

(you maybe right in your thinking but I dont know what you're definition of 'regulated' is. To me, in this context I think of it as "keeping to a set value not letting it go above OR below" :) )

Machan I may be wrong but i don't think the cap used here really accomplishes the 'fade' effect. It is a ceramic chip capacitor and not very high in capacity to begin with. But I do agree that the diode would come in handy if a bigger cap is used and the fading would then be noticeable. My guess is in this scenario the cap just bypasses any ripples that might be visible in the supply due to alternator or any other component. As I remember caps allow AC to pass through, though it blocks DC.

Yep that's what I was thinking too, that capacitor looks awfully small to give a dimming efect.

And yep, agree with you on the DC/AC issues, but the thing is that right now we're talking in the context of a car's electric system which only has a DC.

PS: interesting and fun to recall these things, after so many years; and its quite cool to see how we finally get to apply these things in real life.

• Like 2

What you should be using to prevent large spikes is a zener diode. Once the capacitor is fully charged (which is wont take even a second) electricity will no longer flow through it :) O/L electronics bro :)

Try connecting a LED and a capacitor in series and try it out. The bulb will glow for a quick moment while the current flows (and charges the capacitor) and then stop glowing once its fully charged.

you can make this without any other comportment just to light 4 leds . but to be safe we better use the correct diagram. as i mention this it the correct one i found on the net to use in the car.I made it and using without any issues . so if you want you also can try making these in different ways and up[date us too.

Edited by mensoft

PS: interesting and fun to recall these things, after so many years; and its quite cool to see how we finally get to apply these things in real life.

+1 on that. Reminds me of the old electronics class room. fun days. :)

Edited by Reckless

you can make this without any other comportment just to light 4 leds . but to be safe we better use the correct diagram. as i mention this it the correct one i found on the net to use in the car.I made it and using without any issues . so if you want you also can try making these in different ways and up[date us too.

'mensoft',

As far as I notise your circuit is the best for 12volts DC LED circuil. Because I said early LED can handle 3.8 volts safely.

Z/D is not necessary due to resister is controling the voltagefor the said circuil.

If you can give a web link for this LED system most A/L users will get educated.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'mensoft',

As far as I notise your circuit is the best for 12volts DC LED circuil. Because I said early LED can handle 3.8 volts safely.

Z/D is not necessary due to resister is controling the voltagefor the said circuil.

If you can give a web link for this LED system most A/L users will get educated.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I cant remember the exact site. there are many sites just google.

any way i have given fill diagram.

Edited by mensoft

Great post mensoft! Made me think of how I used to make crazy circuits for my bike, back when I was schooling! :D

Thanks a lot, I'm definitely gonna try this! :)

'Davy',

You can get LED strips ready made white and blue with back side pasting tape it is 12 inches long with 15 lLEDs Rupees 250.00. from any motor spare shops. If you make your own it will not cost that much but the Chinese made strip has a better finish

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• 4 weeks later...

'Davy',

You can get LED strips ready made white and blue with back side pasting tape it is 12 inches long with 15 lLEDs Rupees 250.00. from any motor spare shops. If you make your own it will not cost that much but the Chinese made strip has a better finish

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi,

Ah yes, I'm sure you're talking about the strips that most of the Indian bike owners in SL are fond of. :D I agree with you on the better finish. The transparent plastic over the LEDs makes it water resistant as well. 250 LKR is not bad I guess. Thanks! :)

Davy

Sylvi,

Ah yes, I'm sure you're talking about the strips that most of the Indian bike owners in SL are fond of. :D I agree with you on the better finish. The transparent plastic over the LEDs makes it water resistant as well. 250 LKR is not bad I guess. Thanks! :)

Davy

I use four strips on my vehicle for last 8 months without any trouble. Two strips I have cut them to my required measurements so that I only have six LED bulbs on each. I have pasted them on my two side mirrors.it is very nice in the night. White for side lamps blue for signal indicators.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I use four strips on my vehicle for last 8 months without any trouble. Two strips I have cut them to my required measurements so that I only have six LED bulbs on each. I have pasted them on my two side mirrors.it is very nice in the night. White for side lamps blue for signal indicators.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

You have blue signal indicators??? Uncle, the point of signal indicators is not to "look very nice in the night".. its to indicate when you're making a turn or a lane change. And the standard colour for this is orange, and other motorists WONT know what a flashing blue light is. You're actually posing a great danger to other road users. Just because you like blue doesnt mean you can go against convention on things like this.

You're the kinda selfish a-hole on the road who thinks always driving with 100w bulbs on high beam is ok because it looks nice. Looks like in the 50 years of motoring experience you never developed common sense or good road manners.

• Like 1

You have blue signal indicators??? Uncle, the point of signal indicators is not to "look very nice in the night".. its to indicate when you're making a turn or a lane change. And the standard colour for this is orange, and other motorists WONT know what a flashing blue light is. You're actually posing a great danger to other road users. Just because you like blue doesnt mean you can go against convention on things like this.

You're the kinda selfish a-hole on the road who thinks always driving with 100w bulbs on high beam is ok because it looks nice. Looks like in the 50 years of motoring experience you never developed common sense or good road manners.

im so gald that he's not working at taffic light maintainance unit.....

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

im sorry but, Seriously?

you could have atleast go for red. since Orange strips are hard to find

im sorry but, Seriously?

you could have atleast go for red. since Orange strips are hard to find

'Schiffer',

Your comment is welcome.

I agree to your post. According to some countries front side signal indicators are white. Red is used only for hazard lights in front. As you say Orange or amber is hard to get, can spray orange on to white I must try to spray because I have some more white strips.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'Schiffer',

Your comment is welcome.

I agree to your post. According to some countries front side signal indicators are white. Red is used only for hazard lights in front. As you say Orange or amber is hard to get, can spray orange on to white I must try to spray because I have some more white strips.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Can we see a picture of you blue for signal indicators on side mirrors ?

I have seen some 3 Wheel guys also have fixed additional side mirror . that have blue parking light and change the color to orange when signal .

Can we see a picture of you blue for signal indicators on side mirrors ?

I have seen some 3 Wheel guys also have fixed additional side mirror . that have blue parking light and change the color to orange when signal .

'Mensoft'

Sorry cannot upload due to big file please send your Email I will send same.

Do you stay in Colombo I can send my Vehicle for you to have a look.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi