• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mitsubishi L200 - Reverse Gear Gets Stuck!

isam

Thanks for reading my post. We got a Mitsubishi L200 Double Cab which runs with a 4D56 non turbo engine, and a manual transmission gearbox. The odometer says its done 500 000+ kms, but I think in reality its done a lot more, since we bought it second hand. It has been the workhorse of our family for years.

The problem we experienced is when the reverse gear is engaged, and the clutch is released, the vehicle suddenly stops as if we press the break very hard. It does not stop the engine, but the vehicle abruptly seize to move as if we are pressing the break paddle hard. When I tried it myself what I felt is that something gets stuck in the gearbox, clogging up everything. I did not dare to fully release the clutch because I was afraid it might ruin the whole gearbox. The gear leaver position does not change, and pressing or pulling on the gear leaver had no effect.

We replaced the clutch and pressure plate, and replaced the gear-oil about 3000km ago.

We started to experience the problem last week and its been happening more and more often by the day. Does this mean that we'd have to go for a new gearbox? or is this repairable?

Gee... that's one weird explanation of the problem. But I guess its as weird as the problem itself... :wacko2:

Thanks for reading my post. We got a Mitsubishi L200 Double Cab which runs with a 4D56 non turbo engine, and a manual transmission gearbox. The odometer says its done 500 000+ kms, but I think in reality its done a lot more, since we bought it second hand. It has been the workhorse of our family for years.

The problem we experienced is when the reverse gear is engaged, and the clutch is released, the vehicle suddenly stops as if we press the break very hard. It does not stop the engine, but the vehicle abruptly seize to move as if we are pressing the break paddle hard. When I tried it myself what I felt is that something gets stuck in the gearbox, clogging up everything. I did not dare to fully release the clutch because I was afraid it might ruin the whole gearbox. The gear leaver position does not change, and pressing or pulling on the gear leaver had no effect.

We replaced the clutch and pressure plate, and replaced the gear-oil about 3000km ago.

We started to experience the problem last week and its been happening more and more often by the day. Does this mean that we'd have to go for a new gearbox? or is this repairable?

Gee... that's one weird explanation of the problem. But I guess its as weird as the problem itself... :wacko2:

Sometimes you get grinding gear issues due to faulty clutch or pressure plates but your issue seems to be more down to the gear box itself. I think the best thing to do is to have the gearbox removed and inspected as at early stages it might be easily repaired, but having said that a replacement gearbox is probably not too expensive. If yours a 4WD version and I wonder if the same gearbox is used in the pajero

'isam',

I too suspect as The Don says, it is in the gear box. May be reverse gear wheel get engaged with some other gear wheel that locks your gearbox.

This problem is a very unusual thing, inside the gear box. as your one is a manual transmission gearbox, it is easily rectified by a good mechanic.

Before any other problem happens immediately get your gear box removed and examine the gear engaging system and do the necessary repair.

I don't think it is not necessary to touch your Clutch mechanism side because you can engage forward gears without any problem.

You need not go for a new gear box.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

the problem could be in one of two locations.

1- Gearbox - As Don said it could be something like a worn out bearing or cog that jams up when in operation (in reverse). A competent mechanic should be able to identify this when by the feel of it in a test-drive or upon taking the gearbox apart. Being a manual box, replacement of individual parts will be a lot easier.

2- Brakes - There's an off chance that maybe a brake shoe or something inside the drum has come loose and gets jammed inside the drum when rotated in the opposite direction to movement. To check for this would be to simply park the pickup on an incline facing uphill and release the brake while in neutral. If you still have the problem its def not the transmission.

isam,

there are different opinions for your problem. if you want to verify the gear box you can before do any thing try as under.

Get a Mechanic to remove the propeller drive shaft on the gear box side and start the engine then engage normal way.

First to front drive then to reverse drive.

Do not accelerate the engine. Still engine try to stop when you release the clutch peddle it is definitely on the gear box.

Comingto brake issue related to your problem.

If brake on one way that means when you drive forward if there is no problem according to your post.

You raise one rear wheel start your engine and engage your reverse gear try to release the clutch if engine stops.

Then raise the other side lover the raised side try as early if engine stops it is not on brakes.

When you raise one wheel and engage a gear rear raised wheel should turn.

Or else you can raise both rear wheels put differential on logs so rear wheels will not touch the ground. you can start engine shift your front gears and try to see the wheels are turning.

Try reverse gear again again. if engine try to stop this also shows that the problem is not on the brakes.

At last you can turn the wheels by hand and to clock and ant-clock rotation to find any friction both wheels raised from the ground this will give you enough evidence that it is not on the brake mechanism.

Above is my experience some members will give a different opinion.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Mr. Wijesinghe your experience seems invaluable. But wouldn't it be easier to just let it the vehicle free-wheel in reverse rather than go hunting for logs and jacking up the vehicle from two sides? Same result diagnosis in the end. I just wanted to clarify this as you have greater experience than most of us.

Thanks!

Don, Dhanu, Sylvi, Watchman, terrabytetango many thanks for the replies and suggestions. Please keep them coming.

When my dad lost his temper, he had gunned the vehicle in full throttle in reverse. :speechless-smiley-023: What he told me was that he felt a kind of grinding (with a grinding sound) and the reverse had worked. According to him after that the problem has gone away :speechless-smiley-004:. But I think its temporary. I convinced him to take the vehicle to the mechanics. Following your suggestions, I asked the mechanic to check the breaks before touching the drive-train. There were no obvious problems with the breaks, but the mechanic said that he had come across a similar problem with another cab; and the culprit was the rear differential :glare:. Could it be?

I'm kind of glad if it s not the gearbox, with the hope that the diff is a less of trouble than the gearbox... or is it... :unsure:

'isam',

I don't think problem you are referring to the gear slip is due to the differential.

Differential normally give a play, when you change gears there will be a noise when pinion engage with the crown wheel when you release the clutch.

You can test that when the vehicle is stationary go under, try to turn the drive shaft, if the play is excessive the noise comes

If the racers or crown wheel and pinion are wasted on the diff you will have a high pitch noise.

Above is my experience with differentials.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Don, Dhanu, Sylvi, Watchman, terrabytetango many thanks for the replies and suggestions. Please keep them coming. When my dad lost his temper, he had gunned the vehicle in full throttle in reverse. :speechless-smiley-023: What he told me was that he felt a kind of grinding (with a grinding sound) and the reverse had worked. According to him after that the problem has gone away :speechless-smiley-004:. But I think its temporary. I convinced him to take the vehicle to the mechanics. Following your suggestions, I asked the mechanic to check the breaks before touching the drive-train. There were no obvious problems with the breaks, but the mechanic said that he had come across a similar problem with another cab; and the culprit was the rear differential :glare:. Could it be? I'm kind of glad if it s not the gearbox, with the hope that the diff is a less of trouble than the gearbox... or is it... :unsure:

Well it could be the read differential though I am curious as to why it only happens in reverse, as it probably should happen in the first gear too. I wonder if it's the 4WD transfer box or infact an issue with the gear level which stops the gear engaging properly.