• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hard To Put It To First Gear

FreakSL

Question

21 answers to this question

Hey guys

recently i foud to engage it to first gear while driving in low speed, but after i really slow dwn or stop its not hard at all,

anyone has the same problem ? any solution ?

'FreakSL',

What is your car, normally for what reason you want to use 1st gear on a moving vehicle. if you have full synchronized gear box.

1st Gear you can shift at 20 kilometers.If you release the clutch at that speed your engine will speed up and car will act as you step on your brakes.

Shifting down gears can be used if brakes fail.

Now days drivers do not use gears to slow down the speed of the vehicle they depend on brakes.

Drivers use low gears to come down on hills instead of using brakes. Some vehicles have exhaust brake.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Correct. you need to reach atleast 5kmph - 10kmph if you need to shift to 1st gear while moving. otherwice you will feel very hard to shift.

but the problem is once i slow down and can't put it to first and it's hard to pick up on 2nd car feels less power

Ok, that's not exactly 'slow' for most vehicles to be put into first. So as Peri mentioned, its built that way. Get your car tuned first & have a mechanic check the clutch as well. Your probably burning more fuel driving the way it is.

• Like 1

Posted Today, 03:47 PM

around 5-10kmph , its hard to pick up on 2nd and start jerking sometime , also the clutch bites very high, think i need an adjustment to the clucth ?

Sounds like youre having an issue in your clutch for me. better to meet your mechanic.

Heloo !!

I recently baught a FB15 manual, and i feel that its hard to shift firts to second and from third to second, when engine warms up(once it runs few kilometrs). Im not used to driving manuals and this is my first vehicle. so im new to vehicles.

Is it some thing to do with clutch adjustment Or ?

thnx in advance !

Heloo !!

I recently baught a FB15 manual, and i feel that its hard to shift firts to second and from third to second, when engine warms up(once it runs few kilometrs). Im not used to driving manuals and this is my first vehicle. so im new to vehicles.

Is it some thing to do with clutch adjustment Or ?

thnx in advance !

Welcome to the forum!

Is this a recent development? First check if your transmission oil (gear oil) is okay and is topped up properly. If the oil level has gone down, check if your gear box oil seals are okay. If you haven't done a transmission oil change since you bought the car, I can suggest that you do that first and see if the problem still persists.

friends i did change the transmission oil, but still the problem persists. Its not like totally unchangeable but still,, u feel the difference.

I noticed that changing from 3 to 2 at speeds around 20km/h is totally effort less..

thank you :)

After MV-5 explained i realized,,

if there is clutch disengaging problem, then at the very last moment of gear shifting , it will produce a "crrrrrrk" sound.

Every now and then when i do put into reverse gear it makes "crrk" sound and wont engage the gear properly (gear shifter stops halfway). It engages soon after i put into first and then back again to reverse.

Is it the synchronize cone issue Or clutch disengagement issue?? If both is it possible for me to replace parts separately?

I will need not to replace the whole gear box right? :(

After MV-5 explained i realized,,

Every now and then when i do put into reverse gear it makes "crrk" sound and wont engage the gear properly (gear shifter stops halfway). It engages soon after i put into first and then back again to reverse.

Is it the synchronize cone issue Or clutch disengagement issue?? If both is it possible for me to replace parts separately?

I will need not to replace the whole gear box right? :(

if i understood correctly , when you wanted to shift to reverse gear, it will not engage in first attempt. then instead of following your workaround (shift to first and back again to reverse) try to do the following steps.

assume that now you have shifted it to reverse but gear has not engaged properly. then start to release the clutch very slowly(this might move your car if gear is engaged, be careful).

if gear is not engaged properly it will make a "crrrk" noise, push the clutch fully as quick as possible. and try to shift the gear (to reverse, directly you should try to move the stick to R position, without moving upward ).

if gear engaged, then there is a higher probability that problem is there in the "Clutch" or clutch related mechanism like slave , master pumps etc..

• Like 1

its hard to pick up on 2nd and start jerking

I know of an incident in a AE91 Corolla hatchback , where some incompetent makabaas had taken apart the gear box for some repair and had assembled it back. Then the owner ( a friend of mine) had found that it shudders in second gear and struggles to pick up. The problem had been that when assembling the gear box back together the makabaas had made some mistake and when the gear lever seemingly moves into second in fact inside the box the gear wheels were moving into fourth gear and that explained the shuddering and struggle to pickup!!

I've never .. ever has put in to 1st gear when the vehicle is on move even around 5kmph. may be i've put in to 1st gear around 0.5-1 Kmph in traffic jams. I always had the feeling I shouldn't even try to put in to 1st gear when vehicle is moving :sad-smiley-058:

it might be cuz of shoet gear box ratio... i used downshifting to slow down near corners it is easier to get acceleration out of the corner, im a bit of a speed maniac.. LOL still underage to get my DL though.. :/