• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nishan.dj

Question

Hello everyone...

I searched the forum about fixing AC to a 4DR5 J44 Jeep & could find many posts but I could not find any information regarding the electrical matters coming with the AC unit.

If I fix a dual AC unit to my jeep, won't it be a problem if I switch on the AC with headlights on?

Because as far as I can understand, the batteries will be charging from the alternator and the AC + Headlights [and all] will use more power than the speed of charging both batteries. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If it's so, Do I have to replace the alternator as well if I fix dual AC to the jeep?

I have no idea about this matter and I really appreciate if anyone who knows anything can post a reply on this matter..

Thanks...

11 answers to this question

mmm hope this will give you an additiona idea.

http://www.autolanka...5-jeep-ac-unit/

Good Day !!!

Thanks mahesh,

I went through the above post. It explains that the 4DR5 Engine is capable of handling that kind of power requirement but not the electrical stuff. So what would you think? Is the original alternator enough to power the batteries as it consumes more power to AC, Lights and other items when all of them are in operation like driving at night with AC on. ?

Hello everyone...

I searched the forum about fixing AC to a 4DR5 J44 Jeep & could find many posts but I could not find any information regarding the electrical matters coming with the AC unit.

If I fix a dual AC unit to my jeep, won't it be a problem if I switch on the AC with headlights on?

Because as far as I can understand, the batteries will be charging from the alternator and the AC + Headlights [and all] will use more power than the speed of charging both batteries. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If it's so, Do I have to replace the alternator as well if I fix dual AC to the jeep?

I have no idea about this matter and I really appreciate if anyone who knows anything can post a reply on this matter..

Thanks...

'Nishan.dj',

Yes definitely there will be a more draw of amperes from your system. For two A/C fans and A/C compressor clutch coil.

Do not worry fix the duel A/C. Alternator will give you enough current for your draw of current for all your Equipment.

if you have an problem please do drop in at my place I will check your charging system and advice you accordingly.

Free of charge as I do not do any more Auto electrical systems, but have all equipment to test and the know how.

Please inform what is the amperage of your Alternator. your system is 24 volts DC.

Do you have the brake vacuum exhaust-er unit fixed to your alternator back side. With oil pipes attached.

Do not hesitate. Go ahead with your plans. Fix a duel A/C unit and enjoy driving with your family.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 2

'Nishan.dj', Yes definitely there will be a more draw of amperes from your system. For two A/C fans and A/C compressor clutch coil. Do not worry fix the duel A/C. Alternator will give you enough current for your draw of current for all your Equipment. if you have an problem please do drop in at my place I will check your charging system and advice you accordingly. Free of charge as I do not do any more Auto electrical systems, but have all equipment to test and the know how. Please inform what is the amperage of your Alternator. your system is 24 volts DC. Do you have the brake vacuum exhaust-er unit fixed to your alternator back side. With oil pipes attached. Do not hesitate. Go ahead with your plans. Fix a duel A/C unit and enjoy driving with your family. Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hi Sylvi,

Thanks so much for the reply. Here is the details,

The amperage of the alternator is 25. (I don't know whether it is the original 4DR5 alternator)

It is a 24V DC System.

It has a brake vacuum exhaust-er unit fixed to the alternator back side and oil pipes attached.

I highly appreciate the help that you are able to do for me and I will surely visit. Kindly PM me where your workshop is or any other contact details that I can contact you. Again thanks a lot for sharing your valuable knowledge with all of us.

Edited by Nishan.dj

Hi Sylvi,

Thanks so much for the reply. Here is the details,

The amperage of the alternator is 25. (I don't know whether it is the original 4DR5 alternator)

It is a 24V DC System.

It has a brake vacuum exhaust-er unit fixed to the alternator back side and oil pipes attached.

I highly appreciate the help that you are able to do for me and I will surely visit. Kindly PM me where your workshop is or any other contact details that I can contact you. Again thanks a lot for sharing your valuable knowledge with all of us.

'Nishan.dj

My address is on the post name, contact numbers are 2573690/0712222420. [email protected] (or) [email protected]

Did you get a 24 volts A/C UNIT if not you have to rewind the clutch coil of the compressor to 24 volts. Fans can go in series.

First of all get the compressor and the double ac units mounted. before you do any thing.

Please inform what is the unit you got for fitting a original 24 volts. or 12 volts.

Because it can be 12 or 24 volts the person who fix the unit has to do it carefully.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

'Nishan.dj

My address is on the post name, contact numbers are 2573690/0712222420. [email protected] (or) [email protected]

Did you get a 24 volts A/C UNIT if not you have to rewind the clutch coil of the compressor to 24 volts. Fans can go in series.

First of all get the compressor and the double ac units mounted. before you do any thing.

Please inform what is the unit you got for fitting a original 24 volts. or 12 volts.

Because it can be 12 or 24 volts the person who fix the unit has to do it carefully.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks Sylvi,

Happy to know that the alternator can provide the sufficient amperage. I have a 24V compressor which I think can be used. Haven't bought any other equipments yet. I still am not aware what would be the best which is to find a set of dual AC unit that comes in 24V [reconditioned] or buy each and every equipment separately (If the compressor I have is in good condition and can use for dual AC system, I hope it would be ok to use it.). Could you give me a suggestion? Also kindly mention which vehicles AC units are better and can be used for 4DR5 jeep.. Thanks a lot.

Edited by Nishan.dj

'Nishan.dj', Yes definitely there will be a more draw of amperes from your system. For two A/C fans and A/C compressor clutch coil. Do not worry fix the duel A/C. Alternator will give you enough current for your draw of current for all your Equipment. if you have an problem please do drop in at my place I will check your charging system and advice you accordingly. Free of charge as I do not do any more Auto electrical systems, but have all equipment to test and the know how. Please inform what is the amperage of your Alternator. your system is 24 volts DC. Do you have the brake vacuum exhaust-er unit fixed to your alternator back side. With oil pipes attached. Do not hesitate. Go ahead with your plans. Fix a duel A/C unit and enjoy driving with your family. Sylvi Wijesinghe.

"To help motoring community" indeed :)

Thanks Sylvi,

Happy to know that the alternator can provide the sufficient amperage. I have a 24V compressor which I think can be used. Haven't bought any other equipments yet. I still am not aware what would be the best which is to find a set of dual AC unit that comes in 24V [reconditioned] or buy each and every equipment separately (If the compressor I have is in good condition and can use for dual AC system, I hope it would be ok to use it.). Could you give me a suggestion? Also kindly mention which vehicles AC units are better and can be used for 4DR5 jeep.. Thanks a lot.

'Nishan.dj',

You have got the 24 volts DC compressor that is very good.

If not you have convert normal 12 volts DC compressor the clutch coil to 24 volts, you have gone over the first hurdle.

Next is to get a passenger compartment 2 units plenty of 12 volts used ones are available at Delkanda. try to get 24 volts units.

Most units are from Toyota and Nissan vans some used ones are 24 volts DC.

IF you cannot get 24 volts it is OK you can have 12 volts two units. Get a center tap from the Battery to power the fans.

Better if you buy the new units they will cost around Rupees 20000.00. or more.

I bought only one unit new to fix under the meter panel that cost me Rupees 8000.00. New from Colombo 02 A/C shop.

They had the hood type also, that was12 volts they quoted Rupees 15000.00.

My engine cannot handle big compressor due to low engine capacity.

I have fitted a big fan on the hood of the vehicle so that rear seat passengers will be comfortable.

Keep the forum update of your A/C fitting project.

I like members like you take a challenge to do something new for a vehicle.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

'Nishan.dj',

You have got the 24 volts DC compressor that is very good.

If not you have convert normal 12 volts DC compressor the clutch coil to 24 volts, you have gone over the first hurdle.

Next is to get a passenger compartment 2 units plenty of 12 volts used ones are available at Delkanda. try to get 24 volts units.

Most units are from Toyota and Nissan vans some used ones are 24 volts DC.

IF you cannot get 24 volts it is OK you can have 12 volts two units. Get a center tap from the Battery to power the fans.

Better if you buy the new units they will cost around Rupees 20000.00. or more.

I bought only one unit new to fix under the meter panel that cost me Rupees 8000.00. New from Colombo 02 A/C shop.

They had the hood type also, that was12 volts they quoted Rupees 15000.00.

My engine cannot handle big compressor due to low engine capacity.

I have fitted a big fan on the hood of the vehicle so that rear seat passengers will be comfortable.

Keep the forum update of your A/C fitting project.

I like members like you take a challenge to do something new for a vehicle.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hello Sylvi,

Thank you very much for the reply. Actually When I bought the jeep I got a unit that can fit under the meter which I checked recently and the blower is working fine. However the previous owner had removed it from the jeep and has not maintained the AC unit well. The compressor with it was no use and therefore I had to buy a reconditioned 24V compressor recently. I think I can use the unit that comes under the meter (that I have now) and switch which comes with it for the front. I have to buy a hood type to fix for the rear seat passengers which I think of buying a reconditioned one [cost effective] from delkanda though I don't know exactly where to look for. (Have to walk here and there... if you know kindly post.)

As I know, Parallel flow condensers are the better ones to use which is more efficient (correct me if I am wrong pls) and have no idea about buying hood type evaporator unit (which brand? which type?). Also Is it possible to join two evaporators and provide as a single line to the compressor if it can handle it? (Basically hood type won't be using as much as the the under the meter one is using).

I think its better to buy a brand new dual AC condenser.

I think this gentleman [Mr. Rohan Perera. Contact number 2303910. Mobile: 0777 393608. at C.R.P. Engineering (Pvt) Ltd] is still working as Sylvi has posted this valuable contact information and will be able to do a great job. :)

Its been always exiting with the knowledge I can gain by understanding the concepts of those equipment and I highly appreciate the members of this forum for sharing their experience and knowledge with us like Sylvi. Its really kind of them and helpful.

Edited by Nishan.dj