• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My Experience When Importing Car From Japan

flashmark

Hi All,

Recently I've import a car from japan through one the agent in here.I think better I share my experience with you.

Before importing my car, I thought it is easy .I believe what importers said.They told lot of benifits about that. You can select your own vehicle, it can be shipping within two weeks,cleared within two days.... finally all the things will complete within 2-3 weeks time...etc.

But what happened to me actually?

First I tried to import a car from UK.But it wasn't success (because the agent was missing after some days.Luckily I didn't give him money)

Then I looked for another importer who importing car from Japan. I called several importers they said to me different prices different duty rates, different shipping time ....etc. As most people doing, I selected a importer who gave me best offer. I visited to see him several time to Polgahawela. He asked me to deposit LC amount and under value amount to his account. Luckily before doing that I checked his bank account because of my friends advises. It was a savings account and only Rs 1000 was there. No need to say what I did.I asked him for my advanced back. He told me he will give my advance back after sold car which is reserved for me. He gave me my money back after 4-5 weeks after 10-12 phone calls.

Then I selected another importer he said to me 'you can import a car under your name (LC)'.

I gave him money to bid for my car. I told him my budget I can go maximum. Each day I called him and discussed about car which need to bid.All the time I asked CIF(bidding price + insurance + shipping + handling ..etc) . One day I forgot to called him and that day he bid for a car without my approval and he won it. Yes car price(bidding price) was within my budget range but shipping cost was too high.He asked me to open LC for that. I realized that it go beyond estimated price (1 lakh) my budget. I told him this wasn't within my budget i don't want this.He didn't agree with me and told now you have to buy that. I had no option finally I agree to buy that car.

Then I opened a LC and luckily I got good yen rate.I booked that rate expecting shipping docs come onetime(As importer promised).But it didn't happen. He didn't give me a tracking no at least to track from DHL. I lost my money. Actually not luck finally. Finally ship came to harbor. It yard out harbor for more than a week(don't know the reason)Shipping time was more than a month not two weeks as he told.

Clarence

After another one week delay, he sent me a duty sheet. It was more than 70-80 thousands higher than he promised.Rupee devaluation was one reason (Rs 35,000)but the main reason was his or his clearing agent careless work. He said he trying to reduce that duty. He spent one week for that but nothing changed.Then he asked for money immediately to clear my car. But actually no hurry.Wasted another 2-3 days for clearance.

Finally he cleared it and then said to me some damages in my car and need to repair.It took another one week and spent money for that.Lot of appointments.

Whole import process took more than two months for me. You should have to spend money and time more than you think when you importing car. Don't trust importers words.Please share views/exp about this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

Recently I've import a car from japan through one the agent in here.I think better I share my experience with you.

Before importing my car, I thought it is easy .I believe what importers said.They told lot of benifits about that. You can select your own vehicle, it can be shipping within two weeks,cleared within two days.... finally all the things will complete within 2-3 weeks time...etc.

But what happened to me actually?

First I tried to import a car from UK.But it wasn't success (because the agent was missing after some days.Luckily I didn't give him money)

Then I looked for another importer who importing car from Japan. I called several importers they said to me different prices different duty rates, different shipping time ....etc. As most people doing, I selected a importer who gave me best offer. I visited to see him several time to Polgahawela. He asked me to deposit LC amount and under value amount to his account. Luckily before doing that I checked his bank account because of my friends advises. It was a savings account and only Rs 1000 was there. No need to say what I did.I asked him for my advanced back. He told me he will give my advance back after sold car which is reserved for me. He gave me my money back after 4-5 weeks after 10-12 phone calls.

Then I selected another importer he said to me 'you can import a car under your name (LC)'.

I gave him money to bid for my car. I told him my budget I can go maximum. Each day I called him and discussed about car which need to bid.All the time I asked CIF(bidding price + insurance + shipping + handling ..etc) . One day I forgot to called him and that day he bid for a car without my approval and he won it. Yes car price(bidding price) was within my budget range but shipping cost was too high.He asked me to open LC for that. I realized that it go beyond estimated price (1 lakh) my budget. I told him this wasn't within my budget i don't want this.He didn't agree with me and told now you have to buy that. I had no option finally I agree to buy that car.

Then I opened a LC and luckily I got good yen rate.I booked that rate expecting shipping docs come onetime(As importer promised).But it didn't happen. He didn't give me a tracking no at least to track from DHL. I lost my money. Actually not luck finally. Finally ship came to harbor. It yard out harbor for more than a week(don't know the reason)Shipping time was more than a month not two weeks as he told.

Clarence

After another one week delay, he sent me a duty sheet. It was more than 70-80 thousands higher than he promised.Rupee devaluation was one reason (Rs 35,000)but the main reason was his or his clearing agent careless work. He said he trying to reduce that duty. He spent one week for that but nothing changed.Then he asked for money immediately to clear my car. But actually no hurry.Wasted another 2-3 days for clearance.

Finally he cleared it and then said to me some damages in my car and need to repair.It took another one week and spent money for that.Lot of appointments.

Whole import process took more than two months for me. You should have to spend money and time more than you think when you importing car. Don't trust importers words.Please share views/exp about this.

'flashmark'

It is very good of you sharing the experience what you have undergone in importing a car.

All mushroom importers who import for others are same. They play with your money.

They have the experience of a person who comes to them to find out your knowledge of a importing a Vehicle

Moment they know that your Knowledge is nil on a import, they play with your money.

I did Import of Vehicles for others never played with their money. I open a separate file for them and give all relevant documents to them.

Other members who read this thread will be a lesson for them.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

that's why car sales are here for ne. I mean you get to see and test the car before paying a cent. the premium for that is worth is.

anyway there are a few good importers i think. some people have done that but they have had some contact with these importers and got good deals. not heard of any who had got it done through a stranger.

Could've spent the extra dough on a car shopping trip to Japan instead.

'terrabytetango',

Car Shopping trip to japan is not cheap. There lot of formalities time taking to get Visa return travel ticket getting a supplier shipper at that point.

All this will cost you more than 1million rupees Most difficult is the language.

Most of our people there will try to take advantage and show good face play you out for few hundred thousands even if you go there.

For you get the visa you need a sponsor at that end Sinhalese friend will not sponsor you without a fee.

When I went first to japan Visa was less than 250 Rupees To USA was free.

Above is my experience in traveling out of the country.

It is still cheaper to buy a used vehicle or new vehicle in srilanka.

Most importers will have one to three hundred thousand rupees for a vehicle. High end vehicles some times they have 1Million or more.

I know one importer who import vehicles for srilankans with a set up of more than ten computer operators log into live auctions.

In front of the person who is interested in importing the vehicle I too watched the same, that importer has his srilankan contact at that auction..

I found as I understand Japanese they manipulate minimum One hundred thousand rupees at the auction it self. I do not want to disclose the method.

My advice is to buy a vehicle from a reputed importer who will give a written warranty for a period.

I know three months back a importer took back the registered vehicle sold by him in two days and gave another vehicle but that importer did not loose on the deal.

Only buyer has to pay another 800000.00 Rupees extra for the other vehicle due to a newer model.

Importer corrected the problem with 10000.00 Rupees and sold the vehicle to another party with a lease and with a extra profit.

Only after at the end of the lease the user gets his CR he will know it had been registered and done one day transfer in one month.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

go to car sale for unregistered used vehicles or go to agents like Unit#d Mot#rs,A*W,stafford for brand new vehicles. importing is always cumbersome process especially a corrupted country like lanka.

Kmart,

You are correct. The best out of all is A*W.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

IMO best is to get a car which is already imported cos you can personally go and have a look and decide and also you have the option of getting the darn thing checked by a expert or the local agent for that matter who will be happy to give you a full report for a fee which I think is worth the money.

Personal import is ok if you someone personally known to you is shipping the thing, however it involves whole heap of paper work and for common models it is not worth the effort.

• Like 1

I got a car directly from Japan , i used a site called tradec**japan , I was able to save around 7 Lakhs compared to local prices and supplier was very genuine. unlike most of local car dealers,

There are leasing companies provide all the documents and handle entire process without any additional charges , this way you can get rid of the middle man who is not adding any real value

When i was buying a brand new vehicle i got it from agent as Warranty is only activated thru them

Its unfortunate to hear your story, but its good of you to have written about this.

Most cars we see at car sales are done up, and the interiors cleaned up and most likely the millage has been altered. And you still end up paying a premium for this. The premium is mainly the interest cost for holding the car in a showroom sometimes for a few months.

There are so many guys trying to do this business as they don't need to invest on their own. But there are few guys who will handle it well for you. There is a guy on the kotte road, quite professional and has been in the business for years , so he knows his stuff inside out. Think he works on a fixed admin cost.

hi all

i thought i'd share this information with u because i involved in this same procedure for my and myfriend's car which was bought for permit. the first thing is to get a RELIABLE IMPORTER since this is a deal of quite a large sum and he can fool u in a number of ways.

then get a clear word for these components.

give the auction price range of the vehicle you wish to buy.this will be added a 5% auction tax in japan.

then what is the price for insurance and shipping.

then what is the charge of the agent (usually range from 200k-300K yen for an average car)

with this you can calculate the CIF price of the vehicle

CIF (yen)= Auction price+ 5% + Insurance + cargo + importer fee.

this will conclude the price till port.these people know the amount of tax each vehcle carries and if you do some home work,you too can find out.

some people do additional bit too.say the actual CIF of an axio comes to 1700K yen.but they will mention in the documents something around 1450k.this valuve is the minimum valuve of a brand new vehicle given by toyota lanka. so u can go to a lower taxation. but this bit depends on how well you and your importer understands each other.

at last remember these bits too.

01 never let importer bid a vehicle without your presence. you would not know the real aution winning bid. also he might give u a vehicle which he won earlier for very low price or something he bought from elsewhere

02 always go through the auction sheet carefully. google translater will help you to understand.

03 if your budget is 4000k, always look for something around 3800k, because these fellows give false low price image just to tempt buyers.

04 try to go by an LC on your name. if anything happen before vehicle comes you can get an action.dont put your money to someone elses account.

05 always keep an eye on the exchange rate.the importer will give a low a low rate to show its a fare deal.but you can show him what it actually would be.

• Like 1

IMO best is to get a car which is already imported cos you can personally go and have a look and decide and also you have the option of getting the darn thing checked by a expert or the local agent for that matter who will be happy to give you a full report for a fee which I think is worth the money.

Personal import is ok if you someone personally known to you is shipping the thing, however it involves whole heap of paper work and for common models it is not worth the effort.

;kush;,

You have given your opinion of already imported motor vehicle in Srilanka. I appreciate same.

If any body is importing by himself I like to advice to import through a reputed Japanese exporter.

No Srilankan or any other exporter because they all manipulate things when it comes for the cost of vehicle.

There are independent inspectors in japan who will certify the vehicle appointed by the Japanese chamber of commerce to appraise a vehicle for a fee which will have to be a condition on the L/C.

Clearing agent here in Srilanka Colombo Port will put all sorts of charges to the bill, informing that he have to satisfy the officers.

I came across a vehicle few days back that had a carry boy top fitted on a used Double cab and expensive ken-wood setup. .

To get clearance for that the importer had to pay Rupees 150000.00 more to the officers according to the clearing agent.

When A buyer consider all this it is cheaper as you said get (checked by a expert or the local agent for that matter who will be happy to give you a full report for a fee which I think is worth the money.) I totally agree to your point.

Sylvi Wijesingh

Edited by Sylvi

i also self imported vehicle through exporting agent S*--y In*nal, through there bidding system. process was very straight forword , no hassel just 3 weeks vehicle is in colombo port. clearing charges 18000/ = ,

Do bit of research before jump in to.

I still believe (after reading this thread) self importing is the best method rather than go in to so called reputed dealeres.

i also self imported vehicle through exporting agent S*--y In*nal, through there bidding system. process was very straight forword , no hassel just 3 weeks vehicle is in colombo port. clearing charges 18000/ = ,

Do bit of research before jump in to.

I still believe (after reading this thread) self importing is the best method rather than go in to so called reputed dealeres.

'KMG',

As I have told early opinion differ from person to person. You are fortunate to get a good agent in Srilanka to handle your import to your satisfaction.

Clearing charges Rupees 18000.00 is very reasonable, as at the moment rate vary from 20000.00 to 25000.00 Rupees.

How much did you pay for their charges as handling?

Every buyer is not educated and do not have computers to access to Auto lanka to know all what prospective buyers are discussing.

So most of the buyers had to go for vehicle dealers to buy vehicles. if not delears are existing. There are thousends living on this industry.

If I am not mistaken Indian vehicles you cannot buy used in India in srilanka so you have to buy new ones through A*W.

I don't think India allow to export used vehicles out of their country.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Ohhh nooo :( why didn't i see this before....

Unfortunately I feel like I'm also following the same path. Here's what's happening...

I have a friend who import cars and told me it's the best way. So I went with it. He sent me pictures of a car and asked me if he can bid a certain value on that. I said okay. Then he said the car is confirmed and he already paid an advance to the Japanese company to reserve the car until we create the LC. But he said that advance money is very urgent so return it before doing anything else because he can't do business without that money. He also gave me the invoice to the car and said to open an LC for that. So I paid his advance money and went to open the LC. That's when i knew that the rules had been changed that now we have to open LC in twice the amount of the vehicles invoice value (200%). But i only have money for the invoice amount. My friend claims that he didn't know about these new rules. I was planning to get a loan to pay the taxes and clearing fees when the car arrives to port later so I don't have any extra money with me now. Now my friend says that advance is non-refundable and I have to buy the car or his reputation with the Japanese company will be tarnished and he won't be able to continue his business with them. Currently i'm in the process of getting a loan to open the LC but I'm really scared about how much more money will be wasted on this stupid decision of me. 
So my recommendation is.....

Please buy cars from here, maybe importing cars can save you few lacks (But it doesn't seem to be the case for me) but the advantage is too large buying here because you can personally go and check the car and also price is fixed (when importing yen rate is the key) also the STRESS of waiting is not worth it. I'm fed up.

Also i was looking for cars and buying options for some time now, so I actually didn't rush to this decision.

SO please buy from here. Don't be a fool like me. That's my honest opinion.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1