• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Elite Viva Fuel Consumption

Rajitha Kumarage

Question

I am using a Viva Elite 1000CC MT. Just done 1250 km. I'm usually driving in traffic. (Not heavy traffic). It does only 11-12 per liter. (in 1st 1000km, I never exceed 2500 rpm since the car is brand new). When i ask from Unimo, they say that the rates will increase with the mileage and they also checked the exhaust emission level and it was perfect. And I also notice that it is difficult to drive with 90 oct petrol (There was a little knock in the start). Then I tried with 93 oct (IOC - Extra premium) and it seems better. Please advice me on this.

no idea about kmpl figures but i dont think it should be having any trouble with 90 oct

My uncle has the auto version, that too just went of it's first service and that car runs fine on 90.

He told me he's getting around 11 with ac. He hardly drives in colombo sorta traffic though. But the car has a slush box

Rajitha Kumarage !

For the fuel consumption it may vary on driving pattern & road conditions. 11-12 per\l is reasonable for city riding.one of my friends one is doing the same ( Auto). he too using the 90 octane but didnt had any issue. better to ask from agents again on this.

I am using a Viva Elite 1000CC MT. Just done 1250 km. I'm usually driving in traffic. (Not heavy traffic). It does only 11-12 per liter. (in 1st 1000km, I never exceed 2500 rpm since the car is brand new). When i ask from Unimo, they say that the rates will increase with the mileage and they also checked the exhaust emission level and it was perfect. And I also notice that it is difficult to drive with 90 oct petrol (There was a little knock in the start). Then I tried with 93 oct (IOC - Extra premium) and it seems better. Please advice me on this.

11-12 per liter in Viva Elite 1000CC MT?? Something wrong some where bro.. Can be true for Auto, not for MT.. Another point, do you need to rev 2500 rpm? If you rev to 2500 rpm on 5th gear it will be abt 90 kmph.. :) u want proof? So keep your revs below 2000rpm.

My Sister has a Viva Elite 2011 model Automatic. Milage is 8000 KM. Average Fuel consumption 12 in the city,14 + outstation

Has anyone got more than this ?

me too running viva elite 1000CC (auto). yes average consumption is like 12 in the city. But I went to kandy and it did like 15+. Also pulling power is bit low before the first service. But the pulling power got increased after the first service. One of the guy who at the service center told me that the car will get in to its optimum level after the third service. I stay below 3000rpm all the time till third service. Also I'm running 90oct and I have no issues with it.

Thanks

^_^ well thats the average the car will do considering with A/c and 3 cyl engine. try staying around the 2k rpm on high gear and bit more gentle on the acceleration, it helps. need to do 3 servicies then the engine seats in well. :sad-smiley-067:

Thanks all for the comments. Just after the first 1000 Km, I have driven the car at 145 Km/h for few seconds in the southern highway. The manufacturer has only advised to drive below 95km/h before 1st 1000km (According to the Manual). At the end of the highway, I have opened the engine compartment and notice the the heat is also normal.

Yeah, I guess 10-11 per liter is the norm for a Auto Elite (mine is). Please do not get tempted to rev the engine prior to you 1st service. This is a amazing vehicle, please give some TLC, she will be yours for a long time with good service... TC

• Like 1

Mine is Viva Elite -Standard Auto (6600km done). Since first day I do only full tank and maintain records properly. I travel Ganemulla to Frot and back daily. It does 10.4 km/l - 11.3 km/l with A/C. But out side Colombo fuel economy is higher. My ever best fuel economy with this vehicle is 15.1 km/l (Ganemulla to Kalutara). (Calculations based on used fuel quantity and travelled distance , not based on digits on digital fuel indicator)

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

You mean fuel consumption

Mine is Viva Elite -Standard Auto (6600km done). Since first day I do only full tank and maintain records properly. I travel Ganemulla to Frot and back daily. It does 10.4 km/l - 11.3 km/l with A/C. But out side Colombo fuel consumption is higher. My ever best fuel consumption with this vehicle is 15.1 km/l (Ganemulla to Kalutara). (Calculations based on used fuel quantity and travelled distance , not based on digits on digital fuel indicator)

You mean lower, yes? Your fuel economy would however be higher.

• Like 1

Not sure if any of my other VIVA Elite forum members have noted this, but fuel consumption ratio varies on the weight you add on the gas pedal (accelarator).

On a full tank in November I touched 11 - 13 KM/L doing 40KMPH with A/C in Colombo city roads (forgive me if you just thought I'm a road hog), but I only managed 9 - 9.5 KM/L last month (December), where I stepped on the pedal doing 50 - 60 KMPH within city limits.

Conclusively, being passionate on the fuel pedal will let you save few rupees more.

Anybody else has a different opinion?

@Shane 10, Dude, I think your Viva Elite is with automatic transmission. But below 10km/l means I guess there may be a mistake somewhere.

Usually 1st to 2nd gear get changed automatically easily and soon. But change in to 3rd and 4th gear you have to push the accelerator pedal more and more and wait. But I have experienced when shift to 3rd and 4th gear, you press the accelerator pedal (hear the engine sound and feel the speeding) and when you feel now time is suitable for a gear change , then release the accelerator pedal and press again gently. (Then before vehicle get changed the gear automatically, you may get it changed by yourself.) It is easy to describes as this. At high gears you think your vehicle is a manual transmission one and listen to the engine sound and feel speeding and you press and release accelerator pedal as I said above. Timing you decide normally as when you drive a manual transmission. I have observed this and this method will give you better fuel consumption. I think a lot of people are aware on this by their practice. (If my explaining is technically wrong , any expert please correct this)

Also maintain correct tyre pressure and do air filter cleaning time to time.

Also one more thing experienced with my Viva Elite.

After done full tank, in my Viva Elite it takes 45 km - 53 km to disappear the first digit of digital fuel meter when drive in Colombo. But the day I had my best fuel economy 15.1 km/l , it takes 79km to disappear the first digit of digital fuel meter , while I travel from Ganemulla to Kalutara. There at some areas, I reached 80km/h speed. That means the fuel amount which I use to drive 45 km - 53 in city limits is well enough to drive 79km out side town limits. (See how traffic congestion burns fuel)

In town limits so many gear changes and we drive at low gears. But outside town limits, we can maintain a relatively high speed at low RPM and gear changes also less. So fuel economy is excellent.

• Like 1

We are having two units of Perodua Viva Elite in my family. I also some times observed engine knock with 90 octane petrol and found this with both vehicles. Company asked me to use 95 Octane petrol and check. Yes, when I use 95 Octane petrol then never observed engine knock and got better pickup to. As 95 Octane petrol is costly, I also use 93 Octane (IOC-Extra Primium) now.

@ Sampath - Thank you for the valuble insight. Yeah. my VIVA is an automatic transmission.

I wish to add that during my last calculation, where I ran down to 9KM/L, I did a cardinal sin by running the aircon while being on idle. Actually had no choice, since I had my infant in the car while waiting for my missus :)

Anyway, I'm sure to try out your suggestion on the 3-4 gear change.

Would surely welcome more tips.....

I'm planning on doing a long drive withing the next few weeks, hopefully! I will keep this thread posted on my fuel consumption.

Cheers to all!!!

@Shane 10, Dude, I think your Viva Elite is with automatic transmission. But below 10km/l means I guess there may be a mistake somewhere.

Usually 1st to 2nd gear get changed automatically easily and soon. But change in to 3rd and 4th gear you have to push the accelerator pedal more and more and wait. But I have experienced when shift to 3rd and 4th gear, you press the accelerator pedal (hear the engine sound and feel the speeding) and when you feel now time is suitable for a gear change , then release the accelerator pedal and press again gently. (Then before vehicle get changed the gear automatically, you may get it changed by yourself.) It is easy to describes as this. At high gears you think your vehicle is a manual transmission one and listen to the engine sound and feel speeding and you press and release accelerator pedal as I said above. Timing you decide normally as when you drive a manual transmission. I have observed this and this method will give you better fuel consumption. I think a lot of people are aware on this by their practice. (If my explaining is technically wrong , any expert please correct this)

Also maintain correct tyre pressure and do air filter cleaning time to time.

Also one more thing experienced with my Viva Elite.

After done full tank, in my Viva Elite it takes 45 km - 53 km to disappear the first digit of digital fuel meter when drive in Colombo. But the day I had my best fuel economy 15.1 km/l , it takes 79km to disappear the first digit of digital fuel meter , while I travel from Ganemulla to Kalutara. There at some areas, I reached 80km/h speed. That means the fuel amount which I use to drive 45 km - 53 in city limits is well enough to drive 79km out side town limits. (See how traffic congestion burns fuel)

In town limits so many gear changes and we drive at low gears. But outside town limits, we can maintain a relatively high speed at low RPM and gear changes also less. So fuel economy is excellent.

By the way dude, please note when a vehicle exceed 80kmph the Air resistance become much more powerful and your fuel economy will be badly affected. There is a sweet spot for maximum efficient. Usually it is around 70kmph. Also majority of Sri Lankan cars are under inflated, causing excessive fuel waste. Stick to your manufacturers guide for tyre inflation (the little sticker on driver side door)..

• Like 1

@ varunatech - Interesting point which you have noted about "under-inflated" cars. I was told that Nitrogen inflated tyres perform better over normal air.

VIVA recommended inflation level guide is 29 for all 4 tyres. I just need to ratify if I'm to pump Nitrogen, should I still pump the same VIVA recommended level ?

By the way dude, please note when a vehicle exceed 80kmph the Air resistance become much more powerful and your fuel economy will be badly affected. There is a sweet spot for maximum efficient. Usually it is around 70kmph. Also majority of Sri Lankan cars are under inflated, causing excessive fuel waste. Stick to your manufacturers guide for tyre inflation (the little sticker on driver side door)..

Dude, that is true. Concidering all points every vehicle has its own best speed. Previously I had a Japanese Alto HA11S Manuel with 660CC, it has its own best speed 60km. Once I could achive my ever best fuel economy 20.68km/l. But for Elite I thnk best spead is between 70 – 80 km.