• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying A Isuzu Gemini

thenuwara

Question

23 answers to this question

Isuzu Gemini although very popular sometime back is no longer in production. Sourcing parts will be difficult/ expensive.

However I must say it was a excellent car at that time when you compare performance/economy/handling (this is compared to Japs Toyota/ Nissan/ mitsubishi)

I suggest Nissan FB13 (Doctor sunny) or Lancer CB8 this might be within your budget if you are keen on a diesel.

Actually I don't have experience on cars and not keen on petrol or diesel cars. I don't know whether to buy a diesel or petrol car as first car. I got the news about the car from one of my friend thatz why i ask you all. MY Maximum is 1M and can't go more than that. Im not into Indian cars too. Pls help me to buy a good economical car within my budget. Thnx for all your comments.

Edited by thenuwara

If your budget is 1 million tops and if you are new to cars, I strongly suggest going for a petrol instead of a diesel.

Why? Older diesels will have ample maintenance work for you to do, including engine overhauls, which don't come cheap. So your total cost of ownership will be high, although your fuel costs will be lower.

Consider a well maintained Doctor Sunny (FB13) petrol car. Very reliable and good on fuel.

• Like 1

You can get a pretty good condition Gemini for your budget. We had a JT600 and boy was it a joy to drive. The engine never gave any big issues so never had to go looking for parts. but at around 200,000 the engine was slightly under compression and we did an overhaul.

As I remember it gave around 11-13kmpl which was quite good compared to how much kick that engine has. Once I went overseas the car wasnt being used much so it was sold. I do agree with the others that soe body parts might be hard to find since its out of production.

And they sell between 500,000-650,000 as I know. So you wont be speding as much as you thought you would. :)

FB13 is good car but, I don't think that they are going below 1Mn .. If so then the next option would be a FB12 (Trad Sunny). Nissan cars are very economical specially FB12.....

really all nissan cars are very economical? i know nissan sunny fb12 and fb13 are economical but same range toyotas are more economical than them.

The Gemini was a great car...were seen as bullet-proof mechanically and very easy to work on and modify...word on the Oz street now is that rust is a major problem...have a look here for some great "buying/inspection tips"

:

http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/tech/viewtopic.php?t=1033

A good site to register on for info if you do buy a gem.

Im searching for buying a car with my budget maximum 1M. Could you all pls tell me how is isuzu gemini sedan which is a diesel car. this is going to be my first car. Also can ypu all suggest me what are the best cars within my budget.

'thenuwara',

About Isuzu Gemini was discussed in this forum some time back. Out of first two cars which was imported by CWE one car was bought and used by a planter friend of mine.

He used same for total 200000, Kilometers without any problem.If you can get one of them it is a good vehicle to use.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Actually I don't have experience on cars and not keen on petrol or diesel cars. I don't know whether to buy a diesel or petrol car as first car. I got the news about the car from one of my friend thatz why i ask you all. MY Maximum is 1M and can't go more than that. Im not into Indian cars too. Pls help me to buy a good economical car within my budget. Thnx for all your comments.

How about a Protone Wira ? It's new, Cheap and good looking !

http://www.autolanka.com/Buy.asp?FormName=Search&FormAction=search&ad_type_id=&ad_category_id=&search=Proton

I dont have an idea about proton Wira. Could you pls tell us how the fuel consumption and availability of parts and which range it is now on market ?

Sorry, I haven't used one personally. But AL members will help you with these facts. I have recommended this by purely comparing your budget.

Wira is based on one of the old Lancers (CB8 I believe). Many Lancer parts fit in. In addition to that, there are people who stock Wira spares, so u wouldn't find it too difficult to source spares. Prices aren't too bad either.

Fuel efficiency would be around 8-9km/litre on average for a reasonably maintained 1.5/1.6 auto tranny car.

You might be able to pick up a H-series one for about a million. Try bargaining.

Edited by Crosswind

Wira is based on one of the old Lancers (CB8 I believe). Many Lancer parts fit in. In addition to that, there are people who stock Wira spares, so u wouldn't find it too difficult to source spares. Prices aren't too bad either.

Fuel efficiency would be around 8-9km/litre on average for a reasonably maintained 1.5/1.6 auto tranny car.

You might be able to pick up a H-series one for about a million. Try bargaining.

It's based on the 1993-1995 Mitsubishi Mirage and uses the 4G13 and the 4G15 Mitsubishi engines assembled by Proton. The interior and exterior plastics is certainly not Japanese quality but the engines, running gear and handling are all very good, as is in the original Mirage. I must warn you I am slightly biased since I own one of these Mirages.

Edited by The Don