• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Srilanka Police

Straga

i can tell you from experience that our idiotic egotistical cops do not require "probable" cause to search.

Once i was forced to open and show a gift wrapped chocolate box just because the cop wanted to use his the power of his uniform.

There was absolutely no reason for them to pull us over and search all our personal belongings. the choc box was in my wifeys handbag and weighed less than 250g's.

I protested and and they called in their "jeep" to take me to the cop shed apparently not letting them perform their duties.

I do know there are a few decent cops but you can safely say 99% of the cops you meet on the road are absolute bunch of morons.

'Ripper',

You are perfectly correct.

I have refused number of times and end up at cop station. But the OIC listen to my story and let me go

I don't stop at that next morning I complain by fax to DIG number of times I have given statements at DIG's Office.

Srilanka Police today is dancing to the tune of Politicians and big time racketeers.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

i wouldn't bother complaining to cops about other cops.

once a cop pulled me over for "speeding". bugger had no speed gun on him and i wasn't speeding at the time. tops 50kmh and the cop was on the opposite side of the road. This was over the mattakkuliya bridge.

When i told the guys that he can't pull me over for speeding without a speed gun...bugger went all aggro on me. blasted me in filth and threaten to shoot me and drop me over the bridge.

I took down his badge number and wrote to the police commission.

I did get a call from them and then they wrote to me giving a date to be present in Peliyagoda cop shed when an "inquiry" will be held against the said cop by a snr cop in a cop shed :D

Imagine walking into a cop shed to attend to a disciplinary inquiry against a fellow cop? I did go to the cop shed but walked out after being treated very rudely even before i ever met the snr cop.

Unless you know somebody who is "connected" its rather pointless trying to fight this injustice...unfortunately.

from this topic what i tend to learn is that you and your friends are minors in possession of cig.

you want to smoke, drive and all being a minor.

how you treated was bad perhaps but you had a lot of guilt yourself, didn't you?

Bribe is illegal... but if they didn't bribe these cops, most probably they have to get a one day leave for court, call a lawyer bugger and pay him Rs1000, and finally pay rs3500 or 5000 for fine. if the government has more accurate system for this kind of situations. then people don't need to bribe these bloody cops....

So what youre saying is that if it saves you some money and hassle, bribe away. This is exactly my point, cops victimise you because they know that you'll rather bribe than do what is right 'cos it saves you time and money. It perpetuates the corruption. If more stood up and did the right thing, eventually, one day, the 'idiotic cops' as Ripper calls them will not expect bribes and will stop this nonsense of harassing kids like straga who get their kicks from playing with empty cigarette boxes.

Plus what fine is there for a cigarette box??? They would've gone to the police station with the empty box, hopefully the OIC would've shaken his head in disgust at his moron police officers who have wasted his time bringing back civilians who haven't committed any crime. More likely the police officers would've just let them go cos there's no crime, only an illegal search.

Edited by ShintaroX

from this topic what i tend to learn is that you and your friends are minors in possession of cig.

you want to smoke, drive and all being a minor.

how you treated was bad perhaps but you had a lot of guilt yourself, didn't you?

Well what you 'tend to learn' is wrong, they didn't have any cigarettes, they had an empty cigarette box, perhaps as a stylish accessory and they weren't driving, they were in a three wheeler.

and about few cops beign 'decent', yes infact mostly we have a friends car when we go out, but he doesnt have a license only a learners permit.. and almost all times when we get stopped even late in the night the cops let us off.. Just recently it seems like the cops are becoming assholes...

Cops are assholes cos they stop your friend who is driving without a license? I'm beginning to feel sick.

That guy has balls for taking some action instead of siting back and complaining about it...

Edmund Burke said all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Do not allow evil to triumph. Do not do sit by and do nothing.

• Like 1

Well what you 'tend to learn' is wrong, they didn't have any cigarettes, they had an empty cigarette box, perhaps as a stylish accessory and they weren't driving, they were in a three wheeler.

yes empty. and hell yeah! what a stylish accessory :P

abt driving - read his other posts

That guy has balls for taking some action instead of siting back and complaining about it...

Edmund Burke said all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Do not allow evil to triumph. Do not do sit by and do nothing.

machang i have no idea about the chap in concern on that news article but i'm willing to bet he is somebody who has connections! that's the only way you can fight the system and not get screwed in the process. I have tried myself and have learnt a bitter lesson. This is even after having access to certain higher ups within the police dept as well.

The average joe will get screwed in seconds.

As most of you guys have seen and heard...cops can easily plant something on your and screw you up and nothing can save you.

Edited by Ripper

So what youre saying is that if it saves you some money and hassle, bribe away. This is exactly my point, cops victimise you because they know that you'll rather bribe than do what is right 'cos it saves you time and money. It perpetuates the corruption. If more stood up and did the right thing, eventually, one day, the 'idiotic cops' as Ripper calls them will not expect bribes and will stop this nonsense of harassing kids like straga who get their kicks from playing with empty cigarette boxes.

Couldn't agree more.

He is. There was an article with a little more detail somewhere.

just read it up on gossiplanka site...no idea about credibility there but those cops have really gone over the limit. getting the guys take his pants off, stealing a phone, felling up the girl, calling up the guy and asking for the girl etc.... I really hope those cops get some jail time

just read it up on gossiplanka site...no idea about credibility there but those cops have really gone over the limit. getting the guys take his pants off, stealing a phone, felling up the girl, calling up the guy and asking for the girl etc.... I really hope those cops get some jail time

Don't expect a good punishment to those guys as this is Sri Lanka..The law here is only applicable to those who don't have any political connections...

Silghtly OT but has anyone noticed the free flowing alcohol & smokes the underage fellows enjoy at dance clubs around Colombo? No ID check etc... And all the police can see is the fellow on the tuk carrying some smokes. Hell, I've been refused a beer more than once in other parts of the world 'cos I forgot to bring my ID

Silghtly OT but has anyone noticed the free flowing alcohol & smokes the underage fellows enjoy at dance clubs around Colombo? No ID check etc... And all the police can see is the fellow on the tuk carrying some smokes. Hell, I've been refused a beer more than once in other parts of the world 'cos I forgot to bring my ID

Yes, noticed. Its even more annoying coz they are taking up space inside clubs and making it difficult for us to get in. But like people already said, all you need are connections. And its a damn small world in Colombo.

Cops are assholes cos they stop your friend who is driving without a license? I'm beginning to feel sick.

No no thats not what i meant. While it may be 'wrong' to do these things, cops seemed to be a lot more lenient around 2 months back, atleast in my experience. Now they are readily stopping, talking bullshit and expecting bribes. Anyway like pericles said its sorta turning into a pity party so i stopped replying but i did have to clarify this. We were wrong beign underage etc, but what really got me what just feeling up my pockets without any reason at all and that is why i was more annoyed. This seemed like a gross invasion of my privacy without a probable cause ( we were not drinking or smelling funny im sure)...

machang i have no idea about the chap in concern on that news article but i'm willing to bet he is somebody who has connections! that's the only way you can fight the system and not get screwed in the process. I have tried myself and have learnt a bitter lesson. This is even after having access to certain higher ups within the police dept as well.

The average joe will get screwed in seconds.

As most of you guys have seen and heard...cops can easily plant something on your and screw you up and nothing can save you.

That is generally true - however I've witnessed an incident where the system worked. One of my pals was at the butt-end of an ugly incident involving an OIC in police station on Kandy road where the officer was drunk while on duty and used a gun to threaten my pal. He's a very humble guy without connections but since he too was on duty when this happened, a complaint was made to NPC with our HR involved but my pal had to face all the inquiries by himself and the officer went on to issue a formal apology and pay damages to my friend to save his job. Then the OIC and my friend became bossom buddies (:P) and it was a massive boon to us when the said OIC was at a police station in Colombo, Galle Road! So .. it works from time to time.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But with the emergency law being lifted, isn't it only a traffic cop that can stop a moving vehicle? If so a traffic cop has no authority to check the belongings of an individual, but only discipline traffic offenses. But i guess in this country it doesn't really matter what the law states

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong. But with the emergency law being lifted, isn't it only a traffic cop that can stop a moving vehicle? If so a traffic cop has no authority to check the belongings of an individual, but only discipline traffic offenses. But i guess in this country it doesn't really matter what the law states

'rangerover',

Srilanka no emergency law at percent. But still there are very few check points.

If you are stopped at a check point the request from the law officers, where do you come and what is your destination.

This is a democratic country I don't think they can Question that Question.

I have complained this Question to DIG, he contacted me and told me say any thing you like.

Some officers are drunk smelling of liquor. I have some interest in Hambanthota I travel once a month there, due to new EO1 not much of problems with Police only at Galle to Hambanthota the police men wants us to get down and show our documents to them.

I never get down I get them to come and examine the documents of my vehicle.

This is srilanka we are first class citizens of a (third class) developing country.

Cannot expect the curtsey from a first class country Police in our country.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

What kind of idiot carries an empty cigaret packet ? :action-smiley-060:

I'm assuming it was retained to transport singles / loose cigarettes that you find sold at tea shops at some future date. Of course empty cigarette packs are also great for transporting other cigar type objects that aren't filled with tobacco but I'm sure 'Straga' and his friends are fine law abiding citizens who wouldn't dream of transporting illicit narcotics in this fashion... :D

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 3

I'm assuming it was retained to transport singles / loose cigarettes that you find sold at tea shops at some future date. Of course empty cigarette packs are also great for transporting other cigar type objects that aren't filled with tobacco but I'm sure 'Straga' and his friends are fine law abiding citizens who wouldn't dream of transporting illicit narcotics in this fashion... :D

'Kavvz,

Your post is totally correct.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

While we are on this topic I have to say this last week has been pretty ridiculous with the police looking to tickets anyone and everyone for no valid reason. Two days ago I got pulled over. I was left there for ten mins until the cop tried to reach another one who spotted me to figure out what the reason was. ouldnt think of anything I did wrong and the guy was keeping me there until his budy had time to reach him. In the end I got pretty pissed ad asked he was trying to come up with a b.s. charge and unless he knows what I did wrong, I was going to leave. (note me bieng pulled over, along with a bunch of other vehicles was causing traffice to build up).

Then last night I got pulled over, asked if I did anything wrong, to which he said no. I asked him if he had a pain in the a** to be pulling people over just because he felt like it and left.

Now I do understand that they might like the idea of doing random checks for drunks buut the fact of the matter is that jumping into the middle of the road and stopping a car just for the fun of it is dangerous both to the driver and the police officer.

As for OP. If your friend paid 1500 as a bribe because a police officer aught him with an empty pack of smokes. Maybe he deserved to lose his money. That's just retarded. When I was a kid we used to take empty packs and make toy buildings and ccars and stuff.