• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ti Carina At212

chamilka

Question

Can anyone please tell me the idle speed readings of the rpm gauge in a 1500 CC Ti Carina car , when AC is on and AC is off.

In my one, in cold starts with or without AC rpm is 1000 but when get heated it goes down to 800 or 750 sometimes, which makes it so difficult to drive smoothly (it is a manual gear vehicle).

As far as I know when AC is turned on the idling speed should go up. Please let me know if anyone have ever experience this problem

Thank you

Edited by chamilka

16 answers to this question

Can anyone please tell me the idle speed readings of the rpm gauge in a 1500 CC Ti Carina car , when AC is on and AC is off.

In my one, in cold starts with or without AC rpm is 1000 but when get heated it goes down to 800 or 750 sometimes, which makes it so difficult to drive smoothly (it is a manual gear vehicle).

As far as I know when AC is turned on the idling speed should go up. Please let me know if anyone have ever experience this problem

Thank you

The idle speed and the operation of the system appears to be correct. When the AC is turned on if the system is working properly you should not see the idle speed go up. But if the system is NOT working properly you will see the idle speed go down and the car try to stall.

What you need is to basically check and clean your fuel injection system, inspect the spark plugs and just generally reset the idle system after that. This is sometimes referred to as a tune up in SL.

Thank you

i use to have a carina ti old shell auto gear one when it reach proper temperature it's idle at 650 without ac is on and when ac is on it's idle speed is at 750

i think 800 or 750 is normal in manual gear car even in my civic vi-rs when ac on it's idle at 850 any ways as don said do a full tune up and see.

Edited by nexus

Dear all,

Thank you for all your suggestions. But this is not about a tune up, a tune up is done recently and still the problem is there. I have another car Nissan FB14 when AC turns on can immediatly feel that engine speeds up to handle the excess load from the AC compressor (Unfortunately it does not have a rpm gauge to give exact figures). But in my Ti- Carina one, rpm goes down with the AC on and stalls sometimes when I try to balance with the clutch.

I have seen in many cars that rpm meter goes up immediatly the AC is On and I think that is how it shoud be. As I feel there has to be some sensor to idle up the engine when the AC is on and in my one it might be not working.

Thanks

I have a Ti Carina 212 (Auto) and I had a similar problem. At cold start, everything works fine because my idle rpm is somewhere between 1000-1200rpm, but when the engine is at normal running tempreture and the AC is on, Idle speed goes below 700rpm and the car starts to vibrate. I figured that this is due to my AC idle-up mechanism not working well. Found out that the Idle adjuster is inside the throttle body. when I opened it up, it was rusted and blocked. Cleaned it up and also the throttle body with a carb cleaner, replaced the plugs as well and everything works just fine :)

Dear all,

Thank you for all your suggestions. But this is not about a tune up, a tune up is done recently and still the problem is there. I have another car Nissan FB14 when AC turns on can immediatly feel that engine speeds up to handle the excess load from the AC compressor (Unfortunately it does not have a rpm gauge to give exact figures). But in my Ti- Carina one, rpm goes down with the AC on and stalls sometimes when I try to balance with the clutch.

I have seen in many cars that rpm meter goes up immediatly the AC is On and I think that is how it shoud be. As I feel there has to be some sensor to idle up the engine when the AC is on and in my one it might be not working.

Thanks

Ok, now I understand. I think I actually mentioned it in my previous post as well, that the rpm should remain constant when the AC is turned on (in some cars you might notice it go slightly up as well). In your car the idle control mechanism (sometimes referred to as idle up) does not seem to be working.

Since your car is EFI there will be a special electronically controlled idle control mechanism attached to your throttle body. The problem is probably one of two. Either there is an electronic problem with the air conditioning controller which sends a signal to the ECU to increase the idle speed to compensate for the compressor. Or there is an issue with the idle speed controller on the throttle body. Those are the most obvious problems and probably the first two to be eliminated.

My suggestion is to go to a workshop armed with an electronic diagnostic system and get your vehicle tested and hopefully that might give you a clue as to what has gone wrong. If that is inconclusive you'll probably need to have a mechanic competent with EFI systems take a look and some air conditioning places might be able to investigate this problem as well.

In my car I had the same problem and it turned out to be that the idle throttle controller had gone bust!

I have a Ti Carina 212 (Auto) and I had a similar problem. At cold start, everything works fine because my idle rpm is somewhere between 1000-1200rpm, but when the engine is at normal running tempreture and the AC is on, Idle speed goes below 700rpm and the car starts to vibrate. I figured that this is due to my AC idle-up mechanism not working well. Found out that the Idle adjuster is inside the throttle body. when I opened it up, it was rusted and blocked. Cleaned it up and also the throttle body with a carb cleaner, replaced the plugs as well and everything works just fine :)

FixZit,

This is exactly what I wanted to know. I knew that there is a problem with the idle up but even the authorised service centre for toyota mentioned there is no problem, which I knew as completely wrong. Thank you very much. now I can ask them to clean the throttle body also it seems I may be able to do it my self.

Thanks

FixZit,

This is exactly what I wanted to know. I knew that there is a problem with the idle up but even the authorised service centre for toyota mentioned there is no problem, which I knew as completely wrong. Thank you very much. now I can ask them to clean the throttle body also it seems I may be able to do it my self.

Thanks

there is a another possibility i use to have problem like yours when ac on rpm drops car vibrate and some time stops after some time doing lots of repairs we figured out problem is in cars ecu keep that in mind too fella.

there is a another possibility i use to have problem like yours when ac on rpm drops car vibrate and some time stops after some time doing lots of repairs we figured out problem is in cars ecu keep that in mind too fella.

One more thing about this car, when I turn the steering wheel RPM goes up and down accrodingly, which should be correct because of power steering. When power steeing pump needs more power RMP increase. So could this be a different problem than idle adjuster? I wonder you could remember the situation in your vehicle.

Thanks

One more thing about this car, when I turn the steering wheel RPM goes up and down accrodingly, which should be correct because of power steering. When power steeing pump needs more power RMP increase. So could this be a different problem than idle adjuster? I wonder you could remember the situation in your vehicle.

Thanks

in my car when I turn the steering wheel rpm increase like normal only problem it's have is when ac on cars rpm drops and car vibrate and some times it's going to stop.

you are talking about idle adjuster in throttle body right as my mechanic said ecu will send signal to adjust idle control speed in my problem ecu don't send any signal to adjust idle control speed when ac on.

in my car when I turn the steering wheel rpm increase like normal only problem it's have is when ac on cars rpm drops and car vibrate and some times it's going to stop.

you are talking about idle adjuster in throttle body right as my mechanic said ecu will send signal to adjust idle control speed in my problem ecu don't send any signal to adjust idle control speed when ac on.

Thank you Nexus,

So, have you fixed the problem in ECU, I mean is it possible to repair or need to replace ECU? I think if the car is diagnosed with a computer system then the problems will be recongized.

Thank you very much, I will consider about this as well.

I think its best to replace the ECU than trying to repair it. If I remember right Nexus also replaced the ECU with a one from a 110.

Also if you have climate control AC do you need to source out a ECU from a car with climate control?

Thank you Nexus,

So, have you fixed the problem in ECU, I mean is it possible to repair or need to replace ECU? I think if the car is diagnosed with a computer system then the problems will be recongized.

Thank you very much, I will consider about this as well.

yes i have fix it i don't think it's possible to repair the ecu because you cannot find necessary parts to repair it you need to replace ECU but finding carina ECU is very difficult specially with climate control ac in top of that i only came across only one manual ECU as Reckless said i have replace my ECU with ae110 one because i couldn't find any carina ECU with climate control ac so i replace it with ae110 ECU and it work perfectly.

Also if you have climate control AC do you need to source out a ECU from a car with climate control?

yes there is connector in ecu comes for climate control AC.

yes i have fix it i don't think it's possible to repair the ecu because you cannot find necessary parts to repair it you need to replace ECU but finding carina ECU is very difficult specially with climate control ac in top of that i only came across only one manual ECU as Reckless said i have replace my ECU with ae110 one because i couldn't find any carina ECU with climate control ac so i replace it with ae110 ECU and it work perfectly.

yes there is connector in ecu comes for climate control AC.

My car does not have climate control AC so I don't have to worry about that... I will try to find one. Thank you.

My car does not have climate control AC so I don't have to worry about that... I will try to find one. Thank you.

as Reckless said first diagnosed the problem and identify if the problem is with the ECU or other part good luck fella.