• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Engine Oil On A 1996 Sunny

mistaken_ID

guys i was running on lanka sae 40 oil all these days and thought switching the brand. my odometer is 130k done and is it a wise decision to switch to sae 30? laughs service has only toyota oil with sae 30. and all the other semi synthetics are sae 40. the main reason behind the oil vescosity change is i read that low vescosity would help on fuel economy.

guys i was running on lanka sae 40 oil all these days and thought switching the brand. my odometer is 130k done and is it a wise decision to switch to sae 30? laughs service has only toyota oil with sae 30. and all the other semi synthetics are sae 40. the main reason behind the oil vescosity change is i read that low vescosity would help on fuel economy.

At your mileage (I am going to guess the vehicle was imported re-con so it's unlikely to be 100% genuine) I think its a lot safer to run with SAE40 oil. The main issue as the vehicle gets older is oil pressure as systems like self adjusting tappets rely on it and as they wear down they become sensitive to the thickness of the oil. You might also experience slight oil burn.

Thinner oil does help fuel economy as they require less effort to pump around but you have to still work within the tolerances of the engine. Not all engines were built to run SAE30 and as engines get older people try to prolong their life by using slightly thicker oil hence the reason why SAE40 is the most commonly used oil in SL.

Always stick to the manufacturer recommended oil grades and don't switch to thinner oil based on service station guy recommendations. They will try to sell you whatever they have.