• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

[Newbie Advice] Buying A Used Motorcycle

Watchman

Question

I guess we've discussed a lot relating to things to look out for when buying a car, but I dont recall reading much on motorcylce buying advice. So I thought a new thread could be useful. In this case; for me.

I'm planning on buying a scrambler (200cc or less for now cos that's what the s'pore law says). Being a complete newbie to bikes I've joined a local forum to see what's happening in the local scene. But when it comes to mechanical advice I prefer asking a forum that I trust more cos we all know all forum's have their share of dumb-asses no matter when they joined or how many posts they have.

The local forum has a buying guide, which seems quite comprehensive but still better safe than sorry i guess. So Any general advice you guys have is most welcome. I guess I (and anyone else) can post more specific questions as we go on.

Thanks guys!

WTF! another retarded troll !

My bro wants to learn to ride cross country so until he masters it he gonna fall and ruin the bike dats y i am looking for a bike between dat price so when he finally masters it i can give him the track bike...

I'm curious too either you're one super optimistic SOB or just living under a rock. How much was the last scrambler.trail-bike you saw for sale selling for?

last i i saw xlr 250 for 65k

Edited by dingy

You can get a XL250 for that price, but not English numbers for sure. but they are very hard to kill.

i really dnt wnt english numbers as long as the engines good small small repairs i hv no issue coz he z gonna rec it...i had to sell my r6 coz of him coz he used shift gears without giving the clutch sometimes and later on it got worse whr i ws only able to shift the gear upto the third..so buying him an expensive bike now itself is a crime..i got a thorough bread with me but the problem is it has no number plates or lights so cnt let him ride it on the road.....

What did you bust Rs.10,000 on in the last 2 days?

well its like this i am restoring my dads old lancer + a gsx 400 sold my r6 for 450k looking for a 4dr5 or a lancer celeste for my dad as a gift for his birthday plus he is looking for a bike for my bro so cash for me moves either up or down and looks to me like its moving down for me coz i am stuck with the gsx..and my bro wnt stop annoying me until i find a bike and gv him

Also there is this bike kawasaki kdx wht do guys think of that??

On the Hornet 250 there is no timing chain. Its gear driven so it should not have anything to do with a timing chain.

However will be ripping apart the head with the Mechanic and i have a feeling its the valve shims. Does anyone know a place i can buy valve shims from? or even a place i can get them machined and a cut?

Hey dude I don't know about the local shops but i found this online hope this will help ya http://www.wemoto.com/parts/valve_shim they seems to have all kinds of oem parts for honda hornet 250

Hey dude I don't know about the local shops but i found this online hope this will help ya http://www.wemoto.com/parts/valve_shim they seems to have all kinds of oem parts for honda hornet 250

Kevin,

Wemoto is a trusted place. i have got down the OEM air filter, nuts and bolts for my VTR. they will deliver within five working days. Good luck

well its like this i am restoring my dads old lancer + a gsx 400 sold my r6 for 450k looking for a 4dr5 or a lancer celeste for my dad as a gift for his birthday plus he is looking for a bike for my bro so cash for me moves either up or down and looks to me like its moving down for me coz i am stuck with the gsx..and my bro wnt stop annoying me until i find a bike and gv him

You're probably the only forum member with this many self-inflicted financial/family/legal/technical burdens on his shoulders...I feel for you man.... :( How do you even find the time to goto school..

I think it might be easier to put some of this energy that your putting to find bikes into explain to your bro that you have lots of things on your plate right now. Tell him to put it on the backburner for now and stop being a baby.

I think it might be easier to put some of this energy that your putting to find bikes into explain to your bro that you have lots of things on your plate right now. Tell him to put it on the backburner for now and stop being a baby.

well its like this my dad got me a r1 my bro asks my dad hw come he didnt get one...i am sure if u guys also have brothers u would knw :D so i keep on telling the guy recently there was a dt 200 advertised for 65k i tld him its nt possible but when he showed it to me i called the guy and apparently that bike has no documents at all but he he still wnted it..i explained it to him but since he is still growing he thinks buying bikes is like buying toys.........lol :P

Edited by dingy

You're probably the only forum member with this many self-inflicted financial/family/legal/technical burdens on his shoulders...I feel for you man.... :( How do you even find the time to goto school..

well man its like this...i dnt knw shit about cars so i get my mechanic to do all the car related work but still i hv to moniter the guy just in case...ad restoring/collectin bikes is like a hobby of mine i work on them on saturdays and sundays if i am free.....but looking for a bike for my bro thats the tough part...i got a semi thorough at home but i dnt wnt him to strt ridind dat after wht he did to the r6 dats y i am looking for a cheap bike

well its like this my dad got me a r1 my bro asks my dad hw come he didnt get one...i am sure if u guys also have brothers u would knw :D so i keep on telling the guy recently there was a dt 200 advertised for 65k i tld him its nt possible but when he showed it to me i called the guy and apparently that bike has no documents at all but he he still wnted it..i explained it to him but since he is still growing he thinks buying bikes is like buying toys.........lol :P

a post earlier this R1 was an R6!

Looks like a garandiya going over a kenwood stereo to me.... :D

• Like 1

a post earlier this R1 was an R6!

Looks like a garandiya going over a kenwood stereo to me.... :D

yo i got a r6 and an r....the r1 is what my dad got me and the r6 was one of my uncles when he left the country he just dumped it at my house so since it was lying there my bro use to take it for a spin and ruined the bike thats y i sold it ...i think i hv mentioned it somewhere in this forum so if u want proof y wnt u come take a look at my bikes and tell me hu the garadiya z?????..also upto date no one has ever got a chance to ride my bike(r1)except for my dad coz dats the only bike i own...all the others are my dads

check the 104th post :)

Edited by dingy

yo i got a r6 and an r....the r1 is what my dad got me and the r6 was one of my uncles when he left the country he just dumped it at my house so since it was lying there my bro use to take it for a spin and ruined the bike thats y i sold it ...i think i hv mentioned it somewhere in this forum so if u want proof y wnt u come take a look at my bikes and tell me hu the garadiya z?????..also upto date no one has ever got a chance to ride my bike(r1)except for my dad coz dats the only bike i own...all the others are my dads

check the 104th post :)

I see... you make sense, why dont you share some photos of your R1, R6 and 7 other bikes.. there's a number of bike fans here and we would all love to see them...

• Like 1

okaay but first u gotta tell me hw to upload it to this site whn i copy and paste it its there but when i post it its gone earlier i wanted to post the r1 and the r6 i hv got 1 pic of both of them togethe but i t jst went off it also asks for a url will a face book pic url work???

I guess the images are uploaded on FB? So open the image right click and select "copy image URL" or something meaning that (based on your browser).

Start typing your reply on the AL forum, and click on the "image" button on the bar with the bold / italic / underline buttons. Paste the URL in the pop-up. Post your reply.

i had to sell my r6 coz of him coz he used shift gears without giving the clutch sometimes and later on it got worse whr i ws only able to shift the gear upto the third..so buying him an expensive bike now itself is a crime..i got a thorough bread with me but the problem is it has no number plates or lights so cnt let him ride it on the road.....

da faq I just read! :speechless-smiley-004:

no only few images r there on fb i dnt wnt to put them on fb due to some reasons but i really want to upload the pics in this forum...tell u what i will start a new topic then i can upload

I can smell some technical issues coming soon! ROFL :) May be the AL server is getting roasted!

Edited by Cyclist

http://imageshack.us...3763967026.jpg/

this is the srx i will get the other pics awell asap

thats the pic of the bike the day i went to buy it......if u look at it now its a total mess...does anyone knw from whr i cn get a front disc for this model aswell???

yep dats wht he did and u guys keep on asking y i am going for a such a low budget \ :sad-smiley-017:

http://imageshack.us...2/45323428.jpg/

the r6

Ok : R6 - sold , SRX - in a messy situation!

Great! I mean nice! Now we have 2 non-existing / not in a visible state bikes, thanks ! Proceed with the other 5. :)

Ok : R6 - sold , SRX - in a messy situation!

Great! I mean nice! Now we have 2 non-existing / not in a visible state bikes, thanks ! Proceed with the other 5. :)

wtf is wrong wit u guys??the r6 i sold coz of the tranmission issue srx the paint has faded off the pic i uploaded was taken about 3 months back...

cyclist if u hv a issue y wnt u come and see the bikes for your self if pics arnt enough!coz it seems that u r the only one with an issue frst u tell me that i cn only buy a clapped out bike for that budget and make fun out of it ......i tld y i only want to buy a trailer for that amount and u guys wanted to see the the ics i upload the pics and still u accuse me of fraud! nyc...in the first place i came to this forum to look for a bike and to look for parts for the hawk instead u guys want me to prove to u that i hv the bikes....................if u really want proof come and to my place and take a look at it for yourself!

The hawk http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/04082012327.jpg/

Edited by dingy

wtf is wrong wit u guys??the r6 i sold coz of the tranmission issue srx the paint has faded off the pic i uploaded was taken about 3 months back...

cyclist if u hv a issue y wnt u come and see the bikes for your self if pics arnt enough!coz it seems that u r the only one with an issue frst u tell me that i cn only buy a clapped out bike for that budget and make fun out of it ......i tld y i only want to buy a trailer for that amount and u guys wanted to see the the ics i upload the pics and still u accuse me of fraud! nyc...in the first place i came to this forum to look for a bike and to look for parts for the hawk instead u guys want me to prove to u that i hv the bikes....................if u really want proof come and to my place and take a look at it for yourself!

Now now, dont blow a fuse or something on your head over this mate! :)

I got it, SRX is faded beyond any sensitivity level of a camera! may be this can help you.

http://www.syfy.com/ghosthunters/howto/using_the_thermal_imaging_camera