• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vitz Fuel Consumption

naveenmadhawa

Hi

I recently Purchase Vitz 1000cc..Its doing 11-12Km/l (Colombo City)

Some people told me that it works 15km/l in Colombo.

Do i need to do engine tuneup to increase the consumption or give me any other advice?

Do you use Octane 90 or 95?

95 might give less econ.

11 - 12 is normal for a 1000cc vitz in the traffic , had a passo with the same engine and it did gave me the same figures. so i wouldnt worry that much. Drive with care, having a soft foot on the gas might help you do a little bit more above 12 and pump only 90 octane , because its way enuf for that tiny engine.

Edited by cruze5151

naveen madhawa, so many people I know complain of this figure after having bought it expected those 'amazing' fuel consumption figures and if you do a search on this forum, you are definitely not the first to complain of that here on AutoLanka. A tune-up may help a bit, but it'll never give you an extra 4km/l.

Although Maheshw's friend says his does 14-15, his friend is possibly mistaken, lying or trying to save face - the truth is 11-12 is very good, a lady friend of mine gets only 8-9 from hers and on AutoLanka I recall someone complaining of 8-9 too.

• Like 3

Considering how under-powered it is, I would say 11-12 is pretty good, when you considering the fact you really have to tweak the pedal to keep up with traffic. The people who claim 14-15 are probably those who hog the center lane of the Baseline and Kotte road while doing 35-40km/h, and who take forever to pick up speed once they stop in traffic allowing everyone in the other lanes to get in ahead of them. Sorry for the slight rant.. but yeah.

• Like 1

That's a common misconception. Higher octane fuels are used in higher compression engines, that's all. The octane rating has nothing to do with fuel economy.

Big_D,

Good Point... Just need to know why the cars with small 3 pot 1000cc engines are giving instructions to buyers to use 93 octane/ 95 octane petrol? for example, I own a Zen Estilo and A*W instructed me to pump only 95 Octane petrol. Also, the Catalog of the car is having a stamp on it's cover saying "some performance issues observed with 90 Octane Petrol"

What is the meaning of "higher compression engines" though?

Thannks

Kasun

Big_D,

Good Point... Just need to know why the cars with small 3 pot 1000cc engines are giving instructions to buyers to use 93 octane/ 95 octane petrol? for example, I own a Zen Estilo and A*W instructed me to pump only 95 Octane petrol. Also, the Catalog of the car is having a stamp on it's cover saying "some performance issues observed with 90 Octane Petrol"

What is the meaning of "higher compression engines" though?

Thannks

Kasun

2 reasons I see,

1. Those engine categories are very sensitive to Octane percentage

2. Can we find pure 90 (or even 95) petrol in country like Sri Lanka? ;-)

Edited by Uditha88

Fuel requirement varies due to several factors other than the compression ratio.

Most newer models has the capabilities to adjust the ECU mapping to compensate for octane rating. Only in the case it goes out of range you will encounter knocking. There could be a slight reduction in power/ economy but i doubt this will be noticeable in real life situations.

I had used a Lancer EX and Suzuki Swift 1.2 both with compression ratio of 11:1 and both were happy run with 90 octane without any noticeable difference in power/ economy.

My opinion if your car is ok with 90 octane save that extra Rs. 18.00

2 reasons I see,

1. Those engine categories are very sensitive to Octane percentage

2. Can we find pure 90 (or even 95) petrol in country like Sri Lanka? ;-)

Thanks Uditha88...

But I know most of my friends are having Toyota Passo, Vitz with 1000cc engines but they pump 90 octane. I still do not understand why this A*W people keep telling to pump petrol with high octane number. If it is not a problem to Hi-Tech Japanese VVTi engines, can it be a problem for Indian engines such as K - Series engines?

BR

Kasun

• 5 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2018 at 9:40 PM, Auto123456789 said:

Mine one is 2014 model, I get only 11-12km with 95 in Colombo. I don't know if this is the average fuel efficiency in City area. If any one knows they can update the expected figure.

I have a tune up done to get a better fuel efficiency, but the fuel efficiency dropped down to 9-10km after the tune up :). Any one else has got this kind of unusual behavior.