• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Gps Query

knightowl

I recently settled down in Anurdhapura,Sri Lanka. As I am an enthusiastic cyclist i brought my road bike with me [took 13kg of my baggage allowance]. In England I used 'Endomondo' a cycling app with GPS [in Iphone] which accurately tell you the speed, time duration, calories burnt, map of your journey as well as the ability to compete with your friends all over the world. It automatically uploads data to the internet. A wonderful way of keeping track of your performance.

Here is the problem. The phone does not engage with the satellites. Its always on 'searching for satellites' mode. When I switch on the Google Maps the 'positioning dot' keeps switching between somewhere near 'Ritigala' and Anurdhapura airport. Nowhere near where I am!

Is it because there are not enough satellites in the area, so the phone simply cannot calculate where it is? Any remedies [other than sending a satellite to the orbit]?

Expert hep is much appreciated.

Good Lord, you enjoy cycling in Sri Lanka? You are quite right, you need expert help. The GPS will help the authorities locate your remains I suppose, because the bus will have dragged bits all over the place.

heh heh... love the humor :) :)

but on a serious note...cycling in SL is not a bad thing at all. I do it myself quite often. Fellow member "Milindu" has a gang of friends who do somewhat serious trips.

You just gotta select a good route and have some common sense knowing local conditions :)

As for OP's question

frankly i have little clue about gps apps on phones. i cant get my e5 work even in colombo.

Is there a possibility of your app not working outside the uk?

I recently settled down in Anurdhapura,Sri Lanka. As I am an enthusiastic cyclist i brought my road bike with me [took 13kg of my baggage allowance]. In England I used 'Endomondo' a cycling app with GPS [in Iphone] which accurately tell you the speed, time duration, calories burnt, map of your journey as well as the ability to compete with your friends all over the world. It automatically uploads data to the internet. A wonderful way of keeping track of your performance.

Here is the problem. The phone does not engage with the satellites. Its always on 'searching for satellites' mode. When I switch on the Google Maps the 'positioning dot' keeps switching between somewhere near 'Ritigala' and Anurdhapura airport. Nowhere near where I am!

Is it because there are not enough satellites in the area, so the phone simply cannot calculate where it is? Any remedies [other than sending a satellite to the orbit]?

I dunno about the particular area, but I can tell you I have had lock until Habarana, and we turned off the other way towards Trino rather than Anuradhapura.

Android has a free app called GPS Status which shows you how many satellites you can see, and how many are connected. Maybe look for something similar will help you troubleshoot?

Also, are you near a high security area?

Endomondo is a global app. Works pretty much everywhere provided there is good satellite cover. I also tried Cyclestreet. same result.

Yes, I am near high security area, but it shouldn't be a problem because I put the phone in my pocket. Even when I come back it is still searching for satellites.

Cycling in Anuradhapura is fantastic. Most roads are carpeted and not much traffic. [believe me, much better than English roads] All the vehicles respect the cyclists giving adequate space. Probably due to two reasons.

1. When you look professional [ good bike, helmets, gloves, quality lycra]

2.. Most of the professional bikers in this area belongs to armed forces.

Cycling is the new Golf in developed countries. Do a search, you are missing it.

AFAIK iphone uses Assisted GPS (A-GPS). That is, to get the current location quickly as possible it need some assistance from your carrier. By obtaining information about the GPS satellites from a server and using approximate location data learned through other means, an A-GPS receiver can provide a location very quickly.

In your scenario , you might have gone out of your carrier's coverage area since it is Anuradhapura. :)

I was in Anuradhapura area around 3 y untill last month. My phone (nokia with ovi map) lock fine with sat. following few things might help u.

when initiating (trying for sat lock )

go in to open space (no trees , buildings in very near proximity ( ie within circle of 10 - 15m ).

keep phone in prone position (screen towards ground) on static object.

avoid power saving modes.

within min s you can get sat lock. After that keep phone any where you want, usually it will maintain its lock.

Hi,

iPhone points location using a method called "Cell Tower Triangulation".

This is not the real GPS as you expect from an actual GPS device like GARMIN.

Check the apple.com, they never say it's a fully fledged GPS device but:

"iPhone pinpoints your location quickly and accurately using a combination of GPS, Wi-Fi, and cellular towers. "

Source [http://www.apple.com/iphone/built-in-apps/maps-compass.html]

Cheers!

Sky

Hi,

iPhone points location using a method called "Cell Tower Triangulation".

This is not the real GPS as you expect from an actual GPS device like GARMIN.

Check the apple.com, they never say it's a fully fledged GPS device but:

"iPhone pinpoints your location quickly and accurately using a combination of GPS, Wi-Fi, and cellular towers. "

Source [http://www.apple.com...ps-compass.html]

Cheers!

Sky

Hello Sky

Cell tower triangulation may be a method of localizing iphone uses. But it is not the only method it use. I have used iphones without a sim card @ my office but with a Wifi network. They give me accurate location with no delay.

Thanks

[in your scenario , you might have gone out of your carrier's coverage area since it is Anuradhapura. :) ]

What did you mean by the carrier? in my case Mobitel?

I figured it is something to do with satellites because even on google maps it fails to indicate my location accurately. Where as in UK it pin point where I am within a margin of 2 meters. When i used Endomomndo in England it even shows wether i am riding on left or right side of the road.

I am a bit unhappy because I have lost out to my friends in various parts of the world [our little competitions and challenges on miles and speed] especially to a house wife in Seattle :(

We were doing 30 miles a day with an average speed of 18mph. I was leading by a fraction. I thought of buying a Garmin but afraid the problem will persist.

What's the phone that you are using ? Does it have a gps receiver that works without the "a-gps" support ? Mobitel might not have a-gps support so if ur phone does not have a proper gps receiver u r out of luck :(

Does it work on other areas of SL ?

I have a SonyEr. android and it locked on easily in Habarana/polonnaruwa and showed it in google maps without a fuss.

If it s an android by any chance try using gps status app.

I was in Anuradhapura area around 3 y untill last month. My phone (nokia with ovi map) lock fine with sat. following few things might help u.

when initiating (trying for sat lock )

go in to open space (no trees , buildings in very near proximity ( ie within circle of 10 - 15m ).

keep phone in prone position (screen towards ground) on static object.

avoid power saving modes.

within min s you can get sat lock. After that keep phone any where you want, usually it will maintain its lock.

How do you use OVI Maps? The OVI Maps and Google Maps are not working for Sri Lanka (last I checked before 3 months). Isn't it?

[in your scenario , you might have gone out of your carrier's coverage area since it is Anuradhapura. :) ]

What did you mean by the carrier? in my case Mobitel?

I figured it is something to do with satellites because even on google maps it fails to indicate my location accurately. Where as in UK it pin point where I am within a margin of 2 meters. When i used Endomomndo in England it even shows wether i am riding on left or right side of the road.

I am a bit unhappy because I have lost out to my friends in various parts of the world [our little competitions and challenges on miles and speed] especially to a house wife in Seattle :(

We were doing 30 miles a day with an average speed of 18mph. I was leading by a fraction. I thought of buying a Garmin but afraid the problem will persist.

So your wife is in Seattle and you are here in Anuradhapura cycling for about 2 hours a day and you want to compete with each other via setalite assisted global positioning systems, pretty hi tec I must say....

Since you are using a i-phone was it unlocked locally ? and has it worked well in other parts of Sri Lanka ?

So your wife is in Seattle and you are here in Anuradhapura cycling for about 2 hours a day and you want to compete with each other via setalite assisted global positioning systems, pretty hi tec I must say....

He didn't say it was HIS wife, dude ;)

Don't know abt ovi maps but google maps works pretty fine. It even can show routes when you give start and end points !!!

Yeap. I tried Google Maps on Nokia C5-00 yesterday and worked very well. Most of the time it connected 4-6 sats.

OP: I think you should try Google Maps for your IPhone. Just visit m.google.com/maps in your phone browser.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for delay in replying.

Its an Iphone 3gs.

I already have google in it.

Was unlocked in Sri Lanka so runs on an old software version. Cant update the software because it will be locked again. . However it locks on to sats within seconds in England, even inside the house.

Changing to an Android probably is a good idea but all my gadgets are apple. Kind of hooked to them.

My only wife is in England. Thinking of finding an extra one in Rajarata ; )

Have you checked with another phone? Like a buddies phone? to check GPS lock? it might be that your GPS receiver has developed an issue.

If you're sharing with google maps, I found this app called "My Tracks" on Android that seems to do what you want (except the calories part). Maybe look for an iOS version of that?