• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Help, Something Strange

ferrarif50

Question

Hi all, i got a strange issue here. the problem is;

I wanted to take the van out today and it started fine, no issues. but after about 3 - 4 minutes when i was driving it out from the garage all the dashboard lights and buzzer came up and mirrors retracted itself! :sad-smiley-058: switched off immediately and tried to start again, cannot start it since there's no power. even the door lights or interior lights won't work. acting like the battery is disconnected.

is this sounds like a alternator issue or what do you guys think? the van is a Hiace supercustom.

Thanks!

10 answers to this question

Hi all, i got a strange issue here. the problem is;

I wanted to take the van out today and it started fine, no issues. but after about 3 - 4 minutes when i was driving it out from the garage all the dashboard lights and buzzer came up and mirrors retracted itself! :sad-smiley-058: switched off immediately and tried to start again, cannot start it since there's no power. even the door lights or interior lights won't work. acting like the battery is disconnected.

is this sounds like a alternator issue or what do you guys think? the van is a Hiace supercustom.

Thanks!

Probably not an alternator issue since its used for charging the battery and the battery should still have some power left and able to operate what you mentioned. This sounds like a blown fuse, but probably one of the main fuses usually located in the engine compartment (I am sorry I don't know where its located in an Hiace). This was probably caused by a short circuit so you'll have to figure out the cause and fix it as well, else it will just happen again!

Probably not an alternator issue since its used for charging the battery and the battery should still have some power left and able to operate what you mentioned. This sounds like a blown fuse, but probably one of the main fuses usually located in the engine compartment (I am sorry I don't know where its located in an Hiace). This was probably caused by a short circuit so you'll have to figure out the cause and fix it as well, else it will just happen again!

Thanks, one of the main fuse is blown! need to check for the short

Have you checked the battery terminals? Could be a simple loose connection at the terminals as well.

Yes, terminals are fine

But i was thinking what caused the all dashboard lights and buzzer to come up and mirrors retracted itself?

Edited by ferrarif50

Your van is infected with Stuxnet. But srsly, a short can wreak all kinds of havoc with electronics. A crapped out alternator wouldn't cause this kind of behaviour, it will just illuminate the abnormal battery charge and maybe the check engine indicator. Start by checking for a loose (+)ve wire somewhere touching the body.

Although the battery terminals are tight it could be that these may need to be cleaned up with sand paper.

But if this is ruled out for sure, it could be that the alternator is overcharging, which could have resulted in the power surge.. Have you noticed if the lights are brighter than usual ?

Thanks, one of the main fuse is blown! need to check for the short Yes, terminals are fine But i was thinking what caused the all dashboard lights and buzzer to come up and mirrors retracted itself?

hmmm.. interesting, don`t have a clue why things would get turned on randomly because of an electrical short.

Could it be a CAN bus module gone haywire due to a short somewhere?? Dont know whether these van`s has got any sort of CAN bus control modules.

hmmm.. interesting, don`t have a clue why things would get turned on randomly because of an electrical short.

Could it be that this itself is a indicator that something is wrong with the electrical system ? We have all the warning signs, check engine, battery, break, oil etcc... but there is no indicator saying electrical malfunction.

Same thing happened to me as well and it was the battery terminals.... so its looks like a universal thing.