• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Has Anyone Used Bridgestone Turanza Ar10

Amila G

Hi,

Edges of my both front tires are worn beyond recovery (due to my ignorance :( ) and I need to get new tires.

Currently I have GT radial 185/70 R14 and I'm thinking of going for Bridgestone Turanza AR10 of same size and it costs about 12500 a tire.

I have a CE110 and daily run on both good and bad (with potholes) roads. So I need feedback from you guys about these tires or better alternatives in the same price bracket. Please note I cannot afford anything higher :(

My main concerns are wet and dry handling and a long life (though they look like mutually exclusive).

Also my rear tires GT 185/70 R14 has about half the treads remaining. Looks like they can go for atleast another 20K without any issue. So how much can I get if I trade them in ?

When I shopped for Tyres about a year ago, I found Ohtsu Falken (Japan) to offer the best value for money closely followed by Kumho (Korea/ China). I've found the pair of Falkens I got to be particularly good and I can say the same about Kumho from past experience. But the Tyre market changes all the time so things might not be the same any more.

Bridgestones being Bridgestones attract a premium price tag, but for normal use I think the difference between different Japanese brands are negligible.

When I shopped for Tyres about a year ago, I found Ohtsu Falken (Japan) to offer the best value for money closely followed by Kumho (Korea/ China). I've found the pair of Falkens I got to be particularly good and I can say the same about Kumho from past experience. But the Tyre market changes all the time so things might not be the same any more.

Bridgestones being Bridgestones attract a premium price tag, but for normal use I think the difference between different Japanese brands are negligible.

Thanks for the quick reply. From where did you get them and do you remember the price ?

Based on your tyre size of 185/70 R14 , I wouldn't worry too much on the brand name.

Since you have GT, this should be good enough, even most other cheap tyres are equally good. Technology has advanced significantly and at the end of the day its the same natural rubber latex that goes in to the tyre. Even the thread patterns are overrated by the big tyre cos, as long as it can properly trap the water it serves the purpose.

But where things are different is in the construction of the tyre and the big brands maybe better, but this is not a big issue as the main concern is thread wear. As soon as your tyres wear out we throw it away, but it could easily be rebuilt since the construction is solid... This is done for most truck & bus tyres, but I think Arpico does car tyres as well. ( Not quite sure )

Thanks guys. I found Japanese yokohama a300 for 10,500 each. Is that a good tyre ? also I am thinking of changing the size to 185/65 R14. Since it is closer to the original 165/80 R13 size (circumference wise). I read in some where that using a larger tire will reduce breaking power.

Do I get significant improvements in handling/comfort by moving down to 65 from 70. Reason I am asking is, a friend of mine has a corolla with stock 165 tires with 13" rims and it rides way better than my 185/70 s :)

Edited by Amila G

Sorry for OT,does anyone know where to get semi-slick tyres? I contacted the agents but none of them are willing to import a set.

Did you try any recon parts importers? Or racing crowd? A friend of mine is also looking for a set ;)

Rs 10.5k seems a very good price if they were made in Japan.... There maybe a truth in that since you have not upgraded the brakes but the tyre mass is more but Since you have increased the width from 165 to 185, your braking may have improved not worsened since there is now more surface are for friction.

A lower profile will give you better handling, so bringing it down to 65 is good and you are also retaining the width of 185.

A long as the circumference of the wheel (rim and tyre) remains the same upgrading to a bigger rim size (and reducing the tyre wall size accordingly) should not have a big impact on breaking unless there is a significant difference in weight. The issue is when the wheel circumference increases as then you need more force to stop the wheel (O/L physics on distance from the axis determining the leverage you get explains why :) You get opposite force provided by the traction on the tyre which needs to be counteracted by the breaks to stop)

Has anyone used yokohama aspec a300 s ? Read some reviews and some say it's wet handling is pretty poor. Also turanza ar10 s are too soft and damage really easily. Is this true ?

My GT s are pretty good in durability but pretty hard and kinda slippery when wet. So I need something that handles well, not very had and durable.(also affordable :) )

Who is the Agent for Ohtsu Falken in Sri Lanka?

Did you try any recon parts importers? Or racing crowd? A friend of mine is also looking for a set ;)

I gues its Shehan,saw his post on fb,tried importing a set of A050 & Neova AD8,but each tyre cost around 30k without any tax :sad-smiley-067: I guess the only option would be a get a set when in Malaysia

I gues its Shehan,saw his post on fb,tried importing a set of A050 & Neova AD8,but each tyre cost around 30k without any tax :sad-smiley-067: I guess the only option would be a get a set when in Malaysia

But importing used tires is too difficult as i heard, isn't it?

Have a look at this link http://blog.autoworld.com.my/index.php/2008/05/14/bridgestone-turanza-ar10-test/

I bought 205/60 R15 two tyres couple of days back for 14950 each for my 156. used to have Bridgestone but then I went for 2 michelins last year. Michelins are so expensive now so can't afford :D (23,000 per each for the Jap). However now I feel the AR 10 is much quieter than the Michelin Energy XM1s. Overall Bridgestone AR10 is a good tyre for the price. As per Falken, 205/60 R15 was Rs.15,800 (Jap). Try Kumho as well. One of my friends who used to have an Alfa 156 swears by them.

Have a look at this link http://blog.autoworl...anza-ar10-test/

I bought 205/60 R15 two tyres couple of days back for 14950 each for my 156. used to have Bridgestone but then I went for 2 michelins last year. Michelins are so expensive now so can't afford :D (23,000 per each for the Jap). However now I feel the AR 10 is much quieter than the Michelin Energy XM1s. Overall Bridgestone AR10 is a good tyre for the price. As per Falken, 205/60 R15 was Rs.15,800 (Jap). Try Kumho as well. One of my friends who used to have an Alfa 156 swears by them.

Thanks but I read that they are too soft and damage \ wear out too quickly. So I'm worried about potholes as I do lot of outstation travelling. How's your experience on tread wear ?

Anyway do you know a place that has kumho/falkens around nugegoda. I tried a couple of shops but they don't have those.

Thanks but I read that they are too soft and damage \ wear out too quickly. So I'm worried about potholes as I do lot of outstation travelling. How's your experience on tread wear ?

Anyway do you know a place that has kumho/falkens around nugegoda. I tried a couple of shops but they don't have those.

The previous tyres has been used for approximately 50,000km. Wearing was acceptable with the conditions we run. had about 30% tread remaining when I replaced them.

You can try the Amila Tyre House in Karagampitiya or Danula Tyres in Battaramulla. Both of them had the size I wanted in kumho and falken. Not sure about any other place closer to Nugegoda than this.

There's another tyre called Achilles. With reviews from the friends who use them, the platinum type is fairly good and the cost is also low.

Good Luck with the tyre hunt mate! :)

I bought mine from Samarasinghe Tyre house close to Gansabha Junction in the High level road. My father has always gone there ever since we moved to Nugegoda. Mr Samarasinghe (senior as his son runs the place now) is an amiable gentleman but you will have to know what you are looking for. The Falkens that are fitted to my car is slightly bigger than the ones they replaced (185/65 instead 185/60) but it was done in my absence and I took it up with him when I was back last and he apologised.

I'm planning to replace my front tires within next few days. So far I found bridgestone and price is 22000 a tire. I could find only that brand for the same size (195X55X16). can someone tell me if it's worth it or if I can find another brand for cheaper price.