• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Where To Buy Mountain Bikes From

timmy

I doubt there is a Jap Lumala, but the locally assembled bike is exported to a few countries like India. Its a cheap bike, and good for a occasional user. entry level Shimano index gears, alu frame, disc brakes but its not a professional mountain bike.

The Maradana Rider shop had some amazing bikes, but with a price tag of close to Rs 100k ! But if I do take this mountain biking thing seriously maybe I would invest in one, but not now.

@ Komisiripala: Glad that you ended up with a bike you enjoy riding at a decent price (Anything with Aluminium/ Alloy framed with front suspension will go around 19,500 and 29,500 for anything with discs). Merida is a good brand and they make light bikes.

There are groups that ride Saturday and Sunday mornings and on weekday evenings (road/ city rides). It's not a must to be superfit or to have a good bike.

• 1 month later...

Guys for the bikes sold in Kurunegala, I have been told that they are sold 'As is'? Just wanted to know if it was better to get it from the places in Ja-ela, etc. Went to look at bikes last Saturday @ Sugath's. Currently all Greek to me :)

Guys for the bikes sold in Kurunegala, I have been told that they are sold 'As is'? Just wanted to know if it was better to get it from the places in Ja-ela, etc. Went to look at bikes last Saturday @ Sugath's. Currently all Greek to me :)

if you know what you're buying... "as is" shouldn't be a big issue. provided you're getting a good deal for the hassle of having to finish things up after purchasing.

You might get kick-ass deals with "as-is" bikes under big brand names.

sugath cycle etc will be better bet if your strapped for time and need something in decent shape from day one.

if you know what you're buying... "as is" shouldn't be a big issue. provided you're getting a good deal for the hassle of having to finish things up after purchasing.

You might get kick-ass deals with "as-is" bikes under big brand names.

sugath cycle etc will be better bet if your strapped for time and need something in decent shape from day one.

Machan like I said all Greek at the moment. But for starters like everyone else I guess I want a good bike with all the trimmings i.e. shocks, disk brakes, etc etc. The bikes that I saw at Sugath's, they had rust on the shocks, etc & that kinda made me a bit nervous. The guy said that once they 'service' it that it would all be ok. But with experiences I have had with motorbike shocks, rust on the shafts don't go away that easy & dont do justice to the seals. I wouldn't mind piecing the bike together, but then I suppose I have a lot to learn in terms of what to get & from where & whom.

Machan one of my friend does the MTB work for sometime.he's a very friendly,helpful chap. try giving him a ring or visit the group page.alot of info to gain & share.

https://www.f a c e b o o k . c o m/groups/263724657030789/ - mods pls remove the link,if it's against the forum rules.

Edited by Crazy Life

Machan one of my friend does the MTB work for sometime.he's a very friendly,helpful chap. try giving him a ring or visit the group page.alot of info to gain & share.

https://www.f a c e b o o k . c o m/groups/263724657030789/ - mods pls remove the link,if it's against the forum rules.

Machan the link doesn't work. Just PM it to me will look it up. Thanks. I have been in touch with some people on FB, but thought the prices may have been a bit steep (I could be wrong). Planning on going to the place in Bellanwila over the weekend as well.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a road-bike and need some insight on some models.

The models that I'm eyeing are

Polygon Halios 200

Polygon Halios 300

Raleigh Airlite 150

Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Even any other comments on other road bikes would be more than welcome :)

not a fan of the quality of the newer Raleigh bikes. Do they have KHS over there? It's priced pretty decent and they perform better than the other big brands out there. Maybe you could also consider building the bike yourself? you may spend a bit more than a pre-built one but you would end up with a machine that's tailored towards you.

edit: I thought you were talking about MTN bikes. So KHS is out.

Edited by jdnet

I've been a mountian biker,and have been drowned by mountain bike knowledge :D

But due to the lack of offroading experiences here (and for a change) feel like going for a road bike... hehe! if it doesnt work, go back to good old mountain bikes...

I've been a mountian biker,and have been drowned by mountain bike knowledge :D

But due to the lack of offroading experiences here (and for a change) feel like going for a road bike... hehe! if it doesnt work, go back to good old mountain bikes...

how about cyclocross then? It's one of the bikes I really used to enjoy riding. Specially with mountain-road handlebars.

So about the road bike. What exactly are you looking in terms of weight and components?

• 6 months later...
how about cyclocross then? It's one of the bikes I really used to enjoy riding. Specially with mountain-road handlebars.

So about the road bike. What exactly are you looking in terms of weight and components?

Well, when I got into the search I started with a $300 budget. But then started reading up on parts and stuff and ended up spending $1500 :mellow:

Bought a Polygon Helios 500. Alloy frame, carbon fork and a shimano 105 groupset. Totally loving the roadie experience..

I clock about 300-400km a month and its holding fairly well. I wouldnt compare it to mountain biking cos the experience is like apples and oranges. I've done some mountain biking with milindu and the gang and its a whole different experience.

edit:

my trusty steed.

530135_10151321967729838_1612445458_n.jp

Edited by Watchman

@ Watchman: Nice water bottle ;)

@ Kaju,

Most of the recon bikes (Seeduwa, Kurunegala etc.) that come with dual suspension (like the Chevrolet you have posted) are copies of DH (Downhill) with the coil at the back from China or Taiwan. At nearly 20kg and the bob at the back, they are not the best if you plan to ride regularly (will work fine for a ride around the house or Independence Square though).

Your best bet is to look for something simple and light (Giant 4500/5000, Specialized Hard Rock/ Rock Hopper. Trek, Merida etc) and without the rear shock (a hard tail) to start with unless you want to spend a bit. Also make sure that the gears shift well and the bike is the right size for you. Size 16 (S) will work for those who are 5'5" to about 5'7" and 17 or 17.5 for those around up to around 5'9".

Here is a pic from Niro's shop (Bugatti has given the contacts above) showing some used bikes that will work for most. Ride a bike proper and try a few alternatives before you buy it (you can rent them as well)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151244815696820&set=o.263724657030789&type=1&theater

Edited by milindu
  • Like 2

@ Watchman: Nice water bottle ;)

@ Kaju,

Most of the recon bikes (Seeduwa, Kurunegala etc.) that come with dual suspension (like the Chevrolet you have posted) are copies of DH (Downhill) with the coil at the back from China or Taiwan. At nearly 20kg and the bob at the back, they are not the best if you plan to ride regularly (will work fine for a ride around the house or Independence Square though).

Your best bet is to look for something simple and light (Giant 4500/5000, Specialized Hard Rock/ Rock Hopper. Trek, Merida etc) and without the rear shock (a hard tail) to start with unless you want to spend a bit. Also make sure that the gears shift well and the bike is the right size for you. Size 16 (S) will work for those who are 5'5" to about 5'7" and 17 or 17.5 for those around up to around 5'9".

Here is a pic from Niro's shop (Bugatti has given the contacts above) showing some used bikes that will work for most. Ride a bike proper and try a few alternatives before you buy it (you can rent them as well)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151244815696820&set=o.263724657030789&type=1&theater

1+ of getting the right frame size.

Was all excited buying a good looking bike, the one i got now it too small for me :(

Best would be to ride it a bit and see if it all works out...