• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Where To Buy Mountain Bikes From

timmy

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a mountain bike purely for recreation and exercise purpose. I would want to know places that I can find them. I know about the bazaar in Borella and also the local bike maker, but I heard there are much better ones sold as reconditioned ones brought down from Japan, US etc. Also the price will be lower when buying second hand ones.

If you guys have heard of places other than the bazaar and the local bike maker, specifically the ones whom bring down reconditioned bike, please do let me know. As for the specs I want the 26 inch wheels with at least 12 speed gear and Full suspension.

thanks,

hope you guys can help

i seen a few places close to seeduwa, just after maharagama and in kurunagala selling them. The jap models are much better compared to what we have here they generaly come with shimano gears and brakes and last long on the thread general maintainance

I have a shimano mountain bike bought in year 2000. 11 years no issues. Go for used Japanese bike. far better quality. if you get your hands to full aluminium frame you'll feel like feather. I bought it from place near Maharagama Teaching school.

have a look their and talk to them. 4 months back my friend bought a "Giant" branded full aluminium bike with front suspension for 25K. it was awesome.

Buy the latest the Kenstar Spider MTB. Alloy and composite build.26 wheels and 21 speed.The best with this model, you can easily convert this to a conventional racing bike.(bit expensive).Compatible with Shimano aftermarket parts.Gears to Pedals,Handle to wheels! Good buy.Dont forget to visit the cycle vendor opposite HFC Bamba.

MINIACE

Guys thanks a lot for the replies. Never thought Id get replied here(in the lounge) so soon.

I have heard Jap bikes are good but it's so hard to find a place selling them in Colombo. I'd hate to haul a bike all the way from Kurunegala or Seeduwa. If it's not an issue, can you PM me with the contact numbers of these sellers ?

I'll leave my last resort option with Kenstar from the bazaar. And also Lumala. Reason why I want a Jap bike is cos I heard they are pretty light and have better gears compared to Kenstar and Lumala. I dont care much about durability though. Why oh why can't these recon bikes be sold in Colombo ?

There was a Shimano dealer in Maradana Road From Borella to Maradana (Left hand side) more closer to Maradana area. Dont know they're still there.

Yes, they are called Suriyage. What they sell "off-the-shelf" are Chinese bikes, but one can order the same bike (Chinese frame) with Shimano components. Even those original Shimano components are made in China.

Edited by samishka

I went in search in Seeduwa, found a few places (Onajo Lanka and Sugath Cycles) where they sell Japanese used bikes. But like mentioned almost all those Jap bikes are made in China. Sugath Cycles in Seeduwa said they'll be gettin a container load of bikes in around 15th. So waiting for that. I have also another deal on a good Maruishi bike from a local enthusiaist who is selling it off at 20k.

What I'm looking for is a bike with

• full alloy frame
  • front and rear disk brakes
  • front and rear suspension
  • shimano index gear shifters.
  • and also bike in good condition with nice paint (color) and stripes/stickers

The deal for 20k was something like that but since Maruishi is not a name recognized in MTB rallying I thought Id wait for the shipment on 15th to see what Sugath Cycles has to offer. If you guys are interested you can contact them on 112231559.

Just come to Kurunegala. you can buy handy recon Japanies bike

I'm also thinking of coming to Kurunegala to find these Jap used bikes. How easy is it to find dealers of used Jap bikes once you get to Kurunegala ? Do u know of any reputed dealers there ? Can I get there phone numbers ?

thanks a lot guys for the replies so far.

Forgot to add, I did test ride that bike - the Maruishi from the local enthusiast who is selling it off. Damn I gotta tell you I was completely hooked from the moment I rode it. The alloy frame and the full suspension makes it look like you are gliding over the ground. Changed my perspectives on cycling altogether. I used to have a hardened Kenstar 21 speed MTB that was only good for the looks, back about 8 or 10years back which I gave away. Riding this Jap one ( although made in China ) felt so far away from that experience I had in mind.

He also had a Chevrolet bike which was slightly smaller but looked gud with full suspension and index gears. But that had a steel frame and dint come with disk brakes. It however did have a sticker which said something like "It's an American thing" which was kinda cheesy. He also had a Hummer which was in topping condition but which was not for sale. If you guys wanna contact him it's 0772 240027. I hope it's not advertising, jus wanted to help ppl who're like me on the lookout for entusiast level MTBs.

Forgot to add, I did test ride that bike - the Maruishi from the local enthusiast who is selling it off. Damn I gotta tell you I was completely hooked from the moment I rode it. The alloy frame and the full suspension makes it look like you are gliding over the ground. Changed my perspectives on cycling altogether. I used to have a hardened Kenstar 21 speed MTB that was only good for the looks, back about 8 or 10years back which I gave away. Riding this Jap one ( although made in China ) felt so far away from that experience I had in mind.

He also had a Chevrolet bike which was slightly smaller but looked gud with full suspension and index gears. But that had a steel frame and dint come with disk brakes. It however did have a sticker which said something like "It's an American thing" which was kinda cheesy. He also had a Hummer which was in topping condition but which was not for sale. If you guys wanna contact him it's 0772 240027. I hope it's not advertising, jus wanted to help ppl who're like me on the lookout for entusiast level MTBs.

well that's a good deal mate. i mean the 20k bike.

I bought a 'jeep" bike for 20k about an year back. No disc brakes but full suspension and alloy frame. Front suspension is crap though.

I went in search in Seeduwa, found a few places (Onajo Lanka and Sugath Cycles) where they sell Japanese used bikes. But like mentioned almost all those Jap bikes are made in China. Sugath Cycles in Seeduwa said they'll be gettin a container load of bikes in around 15th. So waiting for that. I have also another deal on a good Maruishi bike from a local enthusiaist who is selling it off at 20k.

What I'm looking for is a bike with

• full alloy frame
  • front and rear disk brakes
  • front and rear suspension
  • shimano index gear shifters.
  • and also bike in good condition with nice paint (color) and stripes/stickers

The deal for 20k was something like that but since Maruishi is not a name recognized in MTB rallying I thought Id wait for the shipment on 15th to see what Sugath Cycles has to offer. If you guys are interested you can contact them on 112231559.

I'm also thinking of coming to Kurunegala to find these Jap used bikes. How easy is it to find dealers of used Jap bikes once you get to Kurunegala ? Do u know of any reputed dealers there ? Can I get there phone numbers ?

thanks a lot guys for the replies so far.

Timmy,

I pass Sugath Cycle daily. When one of my friend wanted to purchase a bike we visited there couple of days to have a look at his stock. He has a good collection & knows in and out of this trade. He has bikes from Rs 5000 to Rs 150,000/= Few brands to name, Tomahawk (Brand new & couple of used ones), Peugeot (used), Jaguar (used), Giant (Used), Gohst (Brand new), & finally Scott (Only brand new with carbon fiber frame)

We first decided to buy a Giant used bike for Rs 25,000/= But when my friend saw a Brand new Gohst bike he fell in love with it & wanted to own it pretty badly. We managed to take this white beauty away from the shop for Rs 70,000/=. When we did a bit of research about this bike the average retail pice was around Rs 125,000/=. So end of the day it was a pretty good deal, & mind you these a not gimmicks. Scott bikes were not mountain bikes henece it's used for road racers (Example - Tour De France) Most of the national level cyclists place there order with him, & if you need he will import a bike that is not in his stock.

All the best with your hunt! (Lastly this is not an Advertisment, just thought of sharing a personal experience with a fellow Bike enthusiast :) )

• Like 1

There was a Shimano dealer in Maradana Road From Borella to Maradana (Left hand side) more closer to Maradana area. Dont know they're still there.

Ash,

Afaik Shimano do not manufacture Bikes any more but they do have Gears, brakes etc.... Even though Shimano is a Japanese brand, most of there goods are now manufactured in China.

Onajo and Sugath in Seeduwa, Sugath in Delgoda (close to Biyagama), Peter at the Speedrome are places where you can find a decent bike closer to Colombo. There is also a place on Highlevel Road (Right hand side when heading to Kottawa) in Maharagama. A run to Kurunegala would be worth it if you are particular about what you are looking for. The bikes come used in stock-lots and it is pretty much like finding a special edition re-con car at a car sale on Kohuwela.

While full suspension with discs are desirable, I'm yet to see something light and low resistance (the bikes that come here are easily used for 5 years and over) with twist handle shifters, steel frame etc. Something will all the specs from a good brand will be US$1000 + new and they are worth something secondhand even in the West, so you rarely see a good one here.

Check all the above places once the new stock arrives.

I would say, look at an Aluminum/ Alloy hard-tail frame/bike (Giant - Rock series, Specialized - Rockhopper, Trek, GT - Avalanche, Scott, Merida, Caonnondale). If they come with rapid fire shifters and discs, they will charge you for it ...just like the 8 airbag Vitz ;)....most bikes are made in China/ Taiwan etc.

Spares are not a problem unless you buy something exotic.

PM if you need more info. Can put you in touch with someone who knows their stuff.

• Like 1

The heavier the bike the better work out you would get right ? in that sense a bike with a steel frame will give you a better work out than one with a alu frame.

Does anyone know where I can get a bike carrier ( at least 2 bikes) . The one that you fix to the spare tyre ? Have searched all over Colombo but no luck

The heavier the bike the better work out you would get right ? in that sense a bike with a steel frame will give you a better work out than one with a alu frame.

Does anyone know where I can get a bike carrier ( at least 2 bikes) . The one that you fix to the spare tyre ? Have searched all over Colombo but no luck

Even I was looking for a bike carrier for my jeep but still couldn't find a place.

well that's a good deal mate. i mean the 20k bike.

I bought a 'jeep" bike for 20k about an year back. No disc brakes but full suspension and alloy frame. Front suspension is crap though.

I've noticed that on mine too (an Aleoca).. The front suspension has gone soft over 2 years I've owned it (bought it brand new) but its been through some hard riding and exposed to the elements a fair bit. My previous kenstar felt like it had better suspension though.

• 1 month later...

Hey Timmy.... have u bought any bike ?

I am now looking one for myself, and found a used Corvette branded bike with the following..

Alu frame, rapid fire shifters ( shimano ), quick release wheels, front suspension ( quite good). But no disc brakes and no rear suspension.

The price is Rs 25k, is this a good price ?

Try Sugath Cycles, Seeduwa I bought one from them for 6K

Where exactly is this Sugath Cylce in Seeduwa. I called the number given by one someone in this thread but they are in Ja Ela and not Seeduwa.

Btw is this one which u fix to the rear tyre ? that's what I am looking for.

Where exactly is this Sugath Cylce in Seeduwa. I called the number given by one someone in this thread but they are in Ja Ela and not Seeduwa.

Btw is this one which u fix to the rear tyre ? that's what I am looking for.

It's in Ja ela, sorry..

No the one I bought fix over the boot lid..2 bike holder, basic stuff nothing fancy