• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mitsu Paj, Turbo Leaks Oil :(

isam

Thanks for reading my post.

This is regarding a Mitsubishi 4D56T (2.5L) engine. During the service I removed the Air intake horse from the turbo and saw oil has leaked into the compressor wheel. The engine was replaced a few years back and I'm not sure on the actual mileage of the turbo. Is this normal? or is the turbo dying?

Thanks for reading my post.

This is regarding a Mitsubishi 4D56T (2.5L) engine. During the service I removed the Air intake horse from the turbo and saw oil has leaked into the compressor wheel. The engine was replaced a few years back and I'm not sure on the actual mileage of the turbo. Is this normal? or is the turbo dying?

The turbo needs to be replaced or rebuilt. Over time the turbo wears down and becomes less efficient, and in the latter stages you will start noticing oil leaks before total failure.

Mate are you in a position to DIY check where the leak is from. Is it from Turbine seal or compressor seal or both. sometime when the oil lines are blocked or oil filter is clogged,the bypass valve opens and oil spill everywhere.

Even obstructed turbo oil drain lines and engine crank case vents can cause oil leaks.

Act fast before its too late.Good luck mate!

MINIACE

The turbo needs to be replaced or rebuilt. Over time the turbo wears down and becomes less efficient, and in the latter stages you will start noticing oil leaks before total failure.

:sad-smiley-058: oh oh... then I'm in trouble... I'm glad I asked, and Thanks a lot Don.

I contacted a vendor called Kin*g*wa Turbo and he gave me two options:

• I could buy a chra (a kind of cartridge which includes the compressor wheels and shaft, etc.) and put it in the existing turbo housing or
  • I could buy a complete turbo 9including the housing for tad more... The problem with this solution is that they only offer the TD04-12T turbo and the one in the engine is a TD04-11G. According to the vendor no changes are needed and the turbos could be swapped one to one. The vendor also says that the 12T turbo would increase the air-flow to the engine, too. When I searched on the TD04-12T I learned its the turbo which comes with the 2.8L 4M40. :( , so I'm having a little bit of doubt on this...

If the 12T turbo provides better air flow I would like to have it. But it seems the bigger the turbo the bigger the turbo lag. (I'm assuming the 12T turbo is larger than the 11G... or is it?) Stock turbo spools fine around 2000rpm and I'm quite happy with it. Even if the turbos could be interchanged one to one, I'm reluctant to have more turbo lag...

AL experts I need your help please.

Edited by isam

Mate are you in a position to DIY check where the leak is from. Is it from Turbine seal or compressor seal or both. sometime when the oil lines are blocked or oil filter is clogged,the bypass valve opens and oil spill everywhere.

Even obstructed turbo oil drain lines and engine crank case vents can cause oil leaks.

Act fast before its too late.Good luck mate!

MINIACE

Thanks Mini Ace. I'm afraid I don't have the DIY privilege (even though I'd love to). And most of the garage mechanics seems to have no idea when it comes to Turbos. I could get the turbo removed from the vehicle, but then again I'm worried to let the normal garage bass to dismantle it. :( Do you know any good place to get the check done? If so, please PM me. Thanks again.

Edited by isam

12T is standard for D56 and M40 engines with three bolt attachment if im not mistaken.AFAIK TD04-11G is not sufficient and not sure thats 3 bolts or 4. There is a garret turbo comes for Nissan VX models and thats a straight fit and ideal if you opt for a replacement.

Im going to give you a warning..by any chance if the turbo gives up suddenly and oil drains into the combustion sector, your engine will start running high reves even if you attempt to shut the engine.Simply fuel is replaced by oil and engine will start running on oil.There is no way you can shut the engine unless you select 3rd or 4th gear and go emergency brakes with normal barakes and release the clutch to kill the engine.Be prepared for that mate...Just a warning.

Will get you a good turbo guy. my advise is go for a complete replacement than a repair job.

MINIACE

• Like 1

Many thanks Mini Ace for your valuable insights. I'd remember your instructions on what to do if the turbo gives way. Your instructions on the potential problem and what to do if the disaster strikes would save my life! Thanks again. I never knew a bad turbo could rev the engine like that.

Regarding the replacement against rebuilding, I agree with you. Could you please let me know the Garrett turbo number of the Nissan VX? I found a Garrett 480000-2136 FF9001J Turbocharger on Ebay, but I'm afraid it has a 4 bolt attachment setup.

Thanks again MiniAce.

I got some info on the 12T turbo. According to the vendor, the 12T turbo is similar to the 11G. Only the compressor side of the turbo has the difference. They assure, the 11G turbine housing could be coupled with the 12T compressor. The core (they call it CHRA) needs to be replaced along with the compressor side housing. The 12T has an improved compressor fan which provides slightly better compression.

Thanks again MiniAce.

I got some info on the 12T turbo. According to the vendor, the 12T turbo is similar to the 11G. Only the compressor side of the turbo has the difference. They assure, the 11G turbine housing could be coupled with the 12T compressor. The core (they call it CHRA) needs to be replaced along with the compressor side housing. The 12T has an improved compressor fan which provides slightly better compression.

Thats good news mate. So you opt for 11G right? How much is that?

MINIACE

The biggest problem with 11G is finding the 11G oil cooled turbo cartridge. They are out of stock at most vendors. Some UK vendors are selling them, but the price is too high.

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and going for a 12T cartridge and compressor housing. Without the turbine housing it costs about USD 370 (exc. local tax and freight). Hopefully the 10% or so increase in air flow would do me good.

The biggest problem with 11G is finding the 11G oil cooled turbo cartridge. They are out of stock at most vendors. Some UK vendors are selling them, but the price is too high.

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and going for a 12T cartridge and compressor housing. Without the turbine housing it costs about USD 370 (exc. local tax and freight). Hopefully the 10% or so increase in air flow would do me good.

Pardon me but the Frankenstein kind of work on Turbos are serious stuff mate and I wouldnt approve.. Why dont you run with the existing until you find the right 12T and assy parts. Large number of used parts containers are on the way and most of the vendors took a break for possible Budget proposal tax changes.So ships are sailing.Await new stocks .

MINIACE

Pardon me but the Frankenstein kind of work on Turbos are serious stuff mate and I wouldnt approve.. Why dont you run with the existing until you find the right 12T and assy parts. Large number of used parts containers are on the way and most of the vendors took a break for possible Budget proposal tax changes.So ships are sailing.Await new stocks .

MINIACE

Thanks MiniAce, come to think of it you could be right I'm afraid. Because when I checked a few schematics and photos I'm not sure whether doing this would improve anything. The last thing I want is engine trouble (got a loads of trouble at home and office... :( ).

How about something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.u...7#ht_2534wt_812

Thanks Don. I've checked the possibility for a repair kit. The only problem is a to find a suitable person to install it. I've seen a Place at Mahara called Tur*oCi*y, but I'm not sure how good they are. When I inquired they were quoting hefty prices even for a repair kit installation (around 25K for labor alone :( ), on the other hand they provide 6 months warranty for the job.

Thanks MiniAce, come to think of it you could be right I'm afraid. Because when I checked a few schematics and photos I'm not sure whether doing this would improve anything. The last thing I want is engine trouble (got a loads of trouble at home and office... :( ).

Suggest you run as it is until you find the correct and matching replacement. In your case it is just and oil leak observed right. You know what to to if the turbo spools up uncontrollably.Good luck mate!

MINIACE

Suggest you run as it is until you find the correct and matching replacement. In your case it is just and oil leak observed right. You know what to to if the turbo spools up uncontrollably.Good luck mate!

MINIACE

Thanks MiniAce. I guess you are right. I should be patient and run as is while looking for an affordable replacement.

Is there an option of running without turbo should you not be able to find a replacement soon? I mean there is a N/A version of this engine as well, isn't there?

I guess I can run without the turbo. But that means I have to get rid of the inter-cooler, which in turn means a whole load of changes in the air intake hoses. Plus a huge loss of pulling power... :sad-smiley-054:

:sad-smiley-034: I want the turbo.... :sad-smiley-034:

I guess I can run without the turbo. But that means I have to get rid of the inter-cooler, which in turn means a whole load of changes in the air intake hoses. Plus a huge loss of pulling power... :sad-smiley-054:

:sad-smiley-034: I want the turbo.... :sad-smiley-034:

Still not recommended :D wait for the ideal swap. :D

MINIACE