• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Which Is The Nicest Area To Go For A Drive In Colombo??

MoneyMaker

Are you referring to the rush hour drive or a Sunday/holiday drive in Colombo?

PS: you can get the X factor feeling if you drive on a weekday afternoon in Main street - Pettah - J/K ;)

Actually the Main Street Drive is good on a weekend or at night!!!

At rush hour there is no street which is nice and obviously its no X Factor!! hehehe :)

I sometimes take a drive around from pelawatta up along the parliament road to borella, and then, down the baseline towards nugegoda and then back to embuldeniya and home again. Not so bad on sunday afternoons or weekdays after 10-11PM. The X-Factor would be a picketing rally along the baseline.

Edited by terrabytetango

The bit through independence square is like a mini racetrack.

you start at the roundabout barrel down the straight up to independence square then lose some speed and negotiate the s bend clipping the imaginary apex and letting it run wide. then getting up to 3rd and slowing down again for the long left hander. inching the throttle up to the midway point and then flooring it into the straight. then some more speed and a sharp left hander and you are back where you started.

and you barely have to cross the speed limit. 50-60 through the bends is enough fun.

use a slow car so you feel like you are on the absolute edge

• Like 2

you start at the roundabout barrel down the straight up to independence square then lose some speed and negotiate the s bend clipping the imaginary apex and letting it run wide. then getting up to 3rd and slowing down again for the long left hander. inching the throttle up to the midway point and then flooring it into the straight. then some more speed and a sharp left hander and you are back where you started.

and you barely have to cross the speed limit. 50-60 through the bends is enough fun.

Well said!!! like that independence stretch too! Good that they changed the direction for floor of traffic! Driving towards independence sq is better than driving away from it!

Well said!!! like that independence stretch too! Good that they changed the direction for floor of traffic! Driving towards independence sq is better than driving away from it!

I liked the old system more cos the s bends opened upto a wider stretch. so you can carry more speed out of the bends. I remember taking them in the 70-80 region back then. and its foot down from mid corner right until you approach the roundabout.

The stretch that goes with the edge of Beira Lake, Sri Uttarananda Mawatha - Perahara Mawatha from the railway crossing upto sir james peiris mawatha. I like the trees the grass and the attmosphere on that stretch of road.

also like some parts of the marrine drive with the railway and sea.

I sometimes take a drive around from pelawatta up along the parliament road to borella, and then, down the baseline towards nugegoda and then back to embuldeniya and home again. Not so bad on sunday afternoons or weekdays after 10-11PM. The X-Factor would be a picketing rally along the baseline.

Thats a bit of a longer route, you could also take the new Japan Friendship road and go through Madiwela, or take the Nawala Road. Both are equaly fun, but shorter distance.

At the Kanatha Junction in Borella, when you are coming from Devi Balika side and trying to get on to Bullers road , the second traffic light is always green, and if there is no other vehicles coming from the right side you can take a vey hard bend and there is plenty of room so dont need worry too much even if the car goes a ittle sideways...

But for a straight strech the best is galle road at night..

part of my daily commute to work. it's boat loads of fun when you do it in a pick up truck too :D

only hitch is the wheel squeels giving away your presence to the coppers.

Oh yes thats fun....Just imagine doing the same in a Mini on a Sunday...surely you will sing "I feel good"

MINIACE

part of my daily commute to work. it's boat loads of fun when you do it in a pick up truck too :D

only hitch is the wheel squeels giving away your presence to the coppers.

Oh yes thats fun....Just imagine doing the same in a Mini on a Sunday...surely you will sing "I feel good"

MINIACE

exactly my point. Slow vehicles are more fun here. Even in my noah its a hoot. the best part is all the cars that smoked you in the straight quickly fall behind in the corners if you use the right technique.

That said I enjoyed it even more in my vitz rs when the traffic flowed in the opposite direction because the exit from the s bend is wide. so exit speeds around 80 was possible before safely touching 130 on the straight. but recently after the new system was implemented I tried getting close to the limit on a weekday morning. It was just too scary at those speeds with all that traffic and pedestrians. It was less adrenaline and more that voice inside your head saying slow the **** down

funny how much the direction of travel changes things

Edited by JadeyBlitzen

Thats a bit of a longer route, you could also take the new Japan Friendship road and go through Madiwela, or take the Nawala Road. Both are equaly fun, but shorter distance.

True its long, it gives me time to clear my head, which is the main reason why I take these drives in the first place. Also I pass the HSBC, KFC and the Pelawatta shed on the way which is convenient; pull some money out, buy two portions of fries and a drink, pump 1000 in petrol, and I'm off.