• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ac Gas Refilling

NRX

My car's AC cooling efficiency was low and there was a whirring sound from the compressor side when the engine is idle,

so I went to an ac repair place to get it checked, he said the compresser is 'kara welaa' and did few tests with it, there was no gas leaks as per him. He says that he will refill AC gas and oil and quotes Rs3500 for the job :-| , is that a reasonable price for such job ???

in addition he is going to refill my system with R134a though the bonnet of my car says R12, will that be an issue ?? :)

Edited by NRX

As far as I know, you need a conversion done to use R134a. The two refrigerants (R12 and R134a) are incompatible and should not be mixed.

Any information regarding the above mentioned cost bro Rs 3500 for the regas and reoil ??

• 3 weeks later...

Noise from the compressor could be due to many reasons. It could be the belt, clutch assembly, bearings inside the compressor, valve plates or just worn off pistons. It's really hard to explain what could be the issue why you get poor performance in cooling at Idle without putting a gauge set to your system. I could be wrong but I'm assuming your compressor is running under compression because you have mentioned about the noise its making. If that's the case, Re-gassing and adding some oil to the system will not fix your problem. You can detect which gas you have inside your system just by getting the standing pressure of the system while its switched off and ambient tempreture at that very moment, comparing it with the Pressure tempreture chart of 134a n 12.... You cannot mix 134 n 12 or the oil used in both gasses, It will block your system eventually and cause big problems. Your R12 system could be retrofitted into 134a. In that case you can use 134a without any problems.

Other reasons why your system doesn't work properly in Idle could be.. wrong amount of Refrigerant in your system, Poor performance of your condenser and fan....your Idle adjuster does not work properly or your engine is running at a lower RPM than recommended at Idle.