• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Some Opinons On How To Get To Katharagama....

Shock

Hi,

I'm planing to travel to Katharagama oner the weekend with family. We are starting the journey from Pannipitiya. I want to get to Tissamaharama where we'll be staying over night. Google has mapped out this route.

Pannipitiya --> Ratnapura --> Palmadulla --> Angunokalapalassa --> Tissamaharama

Has anybody taken this road? Hows the road condition? Will I need a 4x4? :-)

Or do I need to turn from Palmadulla on to the A4 as marked on the map and go through wellawaya on to the A2?

pannipitiyatokatharagam.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks

Pannipitiya --> Ratnapura --> Palmadulla --> Udawalewa Junction ( Turn Left ) --> Thanamalwila ( Turn Right ) --> Pannegamuwa or Weeravila Junction ( Turn Left ) --> Tissamaharama

From Palmadulla the Road Has been carpeted.

Otherwise Use New Southern Highway and go to Galle. Then use the A2 Road. it is much better as the road is free from narrow bends like on the Ratnapura Road.

Pannipitiya --> Ratnapura --> Palmadulla --> Udawalewa Junction ( Turn Left ) --> Thanamalwila ( Turn Right ) --> Pannegamuwa or Weeravila Junction ( Turn Left ) --> Tissamaharama

From Palmadulla the Road Has been carpeted.

Otherwise Use New Southern Highway and go to Galle. Then use the A2 Road. it is much better as the road is free from narrow bends like on the Ratnapura Road.

+ 1 - The best and easiest way.

Nicely mapped out route.... has anyone tried out the Dialog SAT Nav on the mobile phones ? I have a Samsung Anroid phone and they say it could be put on this phone but don't know if its as good as how they say.

Just use Google Maps. It actually managed to map out a road to Chaaya Blu. And that was after picking a start point from the GPS, current location.

Just use Google Maps. It actually managed to map out a road to Chaaya Blu. And that was after picking a start point from the GPS, current location.

Basically what you are saying is that the D*alog SAT Nav is useless when you have google maps for free ?

But for the GPS to work I need to hold the unit where there is open sky, and it finds it difficult to connect when inside a car. Is this normal ?

Basically what you are saying is that the D*alog SAT Nav is useless when you have google maps for free ?

But for the GPS to work I need to hold the unit where there is open sky, and it finds it difficult to connect when inside a car. Is this normal ?

Not useless, I dunno how detailed the Sat Nav is, but Maps might have some trouble locating some of the smaller lanes and addresses. So if Dialog is detailed, it might have an edge.

And I had no problems with GPS lock from inside a bus. You just need to be able to see enough satellites. And typically, if you connect in a car, the unit tends to be dash mounted, or near the dash, so it can see straight out the windscreen.

Not useless, I dunno how detailed the Sat Nav is, but Maps might have some trouble locating some of the smaller lanes and addresses. So if Dialog is detailed, it might have an edge.

And I had no problems with GPS lock from inside a bus. You just need to be able to see enough satellites. And typically, if you connect in a car, the unit tends to be dash mounted, or near the dash, so it can see straight out the windscreen.

Thanks, let me try..

Shock - If you decide to take the Udawalewa > Thanamalwila route, please note that the Udawalawa dam section of the road is closed every night from 6:00PM to 6:00AM (not sure if the closing times have changed).

I went recently, around 10pm the dam section of the road was still open. Maybe they don't close it since the security situation has improved.

• Like 1

Not necessary. Enable 3G and use assisted GPS. Gives faster/accurate results.

Is that difficult to drive to Katharagama from Colombo without a GPS or Google map?

Thats the beauty of marketing.... they somehow convince you that you simply cannot do without a product or service, which you never had in the first place.

Yeah .. so far our roads and junctions are not that complicated and once you travel on a route - you tend not to forget it.

By roads are a different story - but maps are not yet that detailed anyways.

What I will find the maps useful is for the POI's like fuel stations, banks, restaurants etc. but it will be a while till we hv a really comprehensive map.