• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Steering Wheel Woes

NRX

Symptoms:

When going over potholes I can hear a noise from inside the steering column, well the noise is equal to the sound you get when you tap the table with your pen :) and I can hear this 4,5 times a second.

When going over large potholes ( Going gamee :) ) I feel like car is steering on it's own; the steering wheel turns on its own when going over the pothole. not by a big amount but 3,4 centimeters,but won't take me off the route. is it normal ??

When going straight on a highway if I release the steering wheel there is a slight movement to left and right like a half a centimeter each side, Not the car but the steering wheel.

Please help me to diagnose these issues :)

P.S : The car is a FB13

Edited by NRX

what is your car model? does it have EPS or hydraulic power steering?

Sorry dude! I should have mentioned it in the first place, it's a 94 FB13, Hydraulic power steering :)

Symptoms:

When going over potholes I can hear a noise from inside the steering column, well the noise is equal to the sound you get when you tap the table with your pen :) and I can hear this 4,5 times a second.

When going over large potholes ( Going gamee :) ) I feel like car is steering on it's own; the steering wheel turns on its own when going over the pothole. not by a big amount but 3,4 centimeters,but won't take me off the route. is it normal ??

When going straight on a highway if I release the steering wheel there is a slight movement to left and right like a half a centimeter each side, Not the car but the steering wheel.

Funny enough, the place to visit is an wheel alignment place, because they will be able to take a closer look at your steering rack. Sounds like there is some wear somewhere, though difficult to pinpoint exactly without inspection.

• Like 2

Symptoms:

'NRX',

The best advice is already given by (The Don's) post. I too agree to his post, get your wheels balanced also. do a shock absorber test. That will not cost you much. M/s, "Nalaka" at colombo 02. Next to "Arpico" show room will do all what you require for your car problem.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

guys, forgot to mention, i had an encounter with a curb few weeks back :D, I hit the starting of the curb unknowingly the front driver side wheel, the rim cup got damaged and the edge of the rim got few dings on it. and there was a loud bang :) , after that when the steering wheel is in dead straight position I noticed the victim wheel is about a centimeter or two to the left. left wheel is straight. can this be fixed with wheel alignment ?? :|

The steering column noise was there even before this incident, not sure about the 2nd and 3rd issues though..

Edited by NRX

NRX,

As you have mentioned about the Curb knock after that your rim has few dents on the rim instead of that rim you can buy a used good rim from any used spare part dealer. Don't go to straighten the damaged wheel.

First of all show your car to wheel alignment place then, disclose what are the problems you had and en counted after that they will inspect your front wheel alignment, not only that test your absorbers too. I think M/s, Nalaka has a full package under rupees 5000.00. if it is small adjustment on the front after your Curb knock they will attend to same. Only thing you have to tip the workers.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Out of the first 3 issues you have mentioned the last two does not seem serious :

When the wheels go over a large pot hole your tyres may change direction slightly, just like if you roll a single tyre it will change direction the moment it hits a small rock. Obviously since the steering is directly connected to the tyre, this too will move and it perfectly normal.

On the 3rd point, since your car maintains a straight line on the high way the alignment appears ok . But the real issue maybe your steering wheel is not aligned. What I mean by this is that you would assume that the wheels are straight when you hold the steering straight, but actually the you steering wheel is a little out ( Maybe due to the impact ) . This is the reason that when you let go the steering it it corrects itself with the slight movement , but your car stays in the correct place.

Wrt the nose, well any unusual noise should be checked up asap, as chances are if you ignore the problem may be much worse than when it initially started off. " Nip it in the bud " . Since this noise comes 4 to 5 time a second it could be some electrical issue, as I would assume you go over a pot hole at a very low speed.