• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Indian Toyota Cars

Dhanu DaGreat

Toyota Lanka gets down from Thailand, I am not sure if Toyota has a plant in India. Although the link you have given mentions Toyota India, there is no evidence to say the car is actually made in India.

Anyway if they were making in India by now Toyota lanka would have already brought down the Corrolla. This car is like the most popular car in Sri Lanka and people may still buy it just for the name irrespective of where its made.

Unfortunately the Suzuki Swift is a big failure and hardly anybody buys the Indian swift even though its much cheaper than the Jap version. Its clear that Suzuki has not maintained a equal quality, or its simply that people in india a just cheap. I hope the same will not be true for the BMW as well......

Hey guys! I'm very interested in buying a new diesel car. According to the agents here Japanese cars are not coming with diesel engines anymore so why don't our agents bring down Indian toyotas? http://www.toyotabharat.com/cars/new_cars/in_liva_diesel/specification.aspx

Why the hell doesn't japs fit diesel engines to cars anymore??

Because Europe lead in a big way when it comes to diesel engines. Even the Honda diesels are Europe only models. Toyota's only new diesel development in the last 10 years has been the new V8 diesel, everything else is quite old. They're sticking to what they're good at and cutting their potential losses.

Because Europe lead in a big way when it comes to diesel engines. Even the Honda diesels are Europe only models. Toyota's only new diesel development in the last 10 years has been the new V8 diesel, everything else is quite old. They're sticking to what they're good at and cutting their potential losses.

I think you are wrong here. Toyota produces a lot of diesel vehicles including passenger cars. The reason why Europe is targeted is due to Euro emission laws and higher fuel duties diesel has now become the preferred fuel for passenger cars and thus it is a big market for all auto makers. Toyota sells nearly all of their cars with a D4D common rail diesel option though of late they have been shifting their attention to hybrids and most recently their chargeable hybrids (can be charged and run like an electric car).

The reason why Toyota diesel cars are not imported to SL is because of the high duty on diesel cars it's not economically viable to do so. And unfortunately even on the permit you only got the 141 with a 2C engine not the newer D4D engine, and I'm not sure of the exact reasons behind that (perhaps the quality of diesel available). It's not because they don't make it but chose not to market it in SL. Same story with Nissan and other manufacturers (I heard the new Renault sourced DCI engines are a little sensitive to high sulphur Sri Lankan diesel and A*W has chosen not to import those versions to SL).

• Like 2

Toyota Lanka gets down from Thailand, I am not sure if Toyota has a plant in India.  Although the link you have given mentions Toyota India, there is no evidence to say the car is actually made in India.......

Toyota has a Joint Venture in India and it is called Toyota Kirloskar Motors. As far as I remember in 2003 Toyota Lanka imported the Indian made MUV called QUALIS. It was actually a 3rd generation Kijang.

• Like 1

The reason why Toyota diesel cars are not imported to SL is because of the high duty on diesel cars it's not economically viable to do so. And unfortunately even on the permit you only got the 141 with a 2C engine not the newer D4D engine, and I'm not sure of the exact reasons behind that (perhaps the quality of diesel available). It's not because they don't make it but chose not to market it in SL. Same story with Nissan and other manufacturers (I heard the new Renault sourced DCI engines are a little sensitive to high sulphur Sri Lankan diesel and A*W has chosen not to import those versions to SL).

Damn thats unfortunate. I miss those good ol camrys and corollas with diesel engines :(

I think you are wrong here. Toyota produces a lot of diesel vehicles including passenger cars. The reason why Europe is targeted is due to Euro emission laws and higher fuel duties diesel has now become the preferred fuel for passenger cars and thus it is a big market for all auto makers. Toyota sells nearly all of their cars with a D4D common rail diesel option though of late they have been shifting their attention to hybrids and most recently their chargeable hybrids (can be charged and run like an electric car).

the D4D your talking about is it the engine found in Prado and Hiace known as 1KD? if its so, i guess it'll be too big for the corolla

Indian or not I am not sure, but brand new 2011 Toyota 141 that we have in our office is such an uncomfortable car that our members prefer going in other decade old Mazdas than in that. Axio (JDM Corolla) is a much better car than what Toyota Lanka imports. I would caution anyone from buying these 2nd rate products of even good brands. You end up paying only for a badge!

Why the hell doesn't japs fit diesel engines to cars anymore??

check this out

BMW to supply diesel engines to Toyota

BMW and Toyota have officially announced today they have signed a memorandum of understanding for a research collaboration into next generation environmental friendly technologies, confirming rumours that we reported on earlier this week.

Additionally, Toyota Motor Europe (TME) will benefit from the supply of BMW's fuel efficient yet powerful 1.6 liter and 2.0 liter diesel engines. The German automaker will begin supply in 2014.

Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, said: "Toyota is the leading provider of environment-friendly series technology in the volume segment and the BMW Group is the most innovative and sustainable manufacturer of premium automobiles. We are now joining forces to further develop environment-friendly technologies and to expand our innovation leadership in each of our segments. Supplying Toyota with our fuel efficient and dynamic diesel engines represents another important step in the planned expansion of our sales activities for engines and powertrain system."

Toyota, President Akio Toyoda said: "It is a great joy and a thrill to enter into this mid-to-long-term collaborative relationship with BMW, a company with its own culture and history from its many years of car manufacturing in Europe, and a company that makes cars that are fun to drive. In the spirit of contributing to furthering the development of the auto industry and society, both companies will bring their wide-ranging knowledge-starting with that concerning environmental technologies-to the table and make ever-better cars."