• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sim Racing

k9master

Hi Guys,

I'm just getting in to Sim Racing (what to do when you are not lucky enough to get in to the real thing)

Made the first investment on a good wheel, Logitech G27 and in the process of trying out a few sim games (Demos)

• Simbins GTR2
  • Simbins Race 07
  • rFactor

So far loving the GTR2 more than anything but the rest is also quite fun and pretty darn good. Trying with all driver aids off with clutch enabled manual shifting. Still not skilled enough to shift over 3rd in most of the areas of the track :)

Invite all of you to use this thread to share your experience on the topic including good simulators, platforms gear etc. etc. Especially the members who have real racing + sim racing experience please help me or anyone interested to setup cars, tune force feedback any many more.

Cheers,

K9M

Checkout IRacing.You have to pay and subscribe to it but its worth it coz all the other so called sims on PC and Xbox have unrealistic handling and doesn't even come close to GT5.But its online only though.A friend plays it with a 512kbps connection and a logitech wheel without any issues.

Checkout IRacing.You have to pay and subscribe to it but its worth it coz all the other so called sims on PC and Xbox have unrealistic handling and doesn't even come close to GT5.But its online only though.A friend plays it with a 512kbps connection and a logitech wheel without any issues.

Hi MD,

Thanks for the tip. Will check out IRacing.

Well, the ultimate idea is to get hold of GT5 as well, but its quite a big investment. Right now, I'm out of cash as i spent on the wheel. But planning to buy a PS3 and GT5 along with it in a couple of months. Hook the wheel up and it will be awsome.

What's your openion on GT4 vs GT5 handling aspect? I can get on to GT4 sooner.

Cheers,

K9M

(Edited Line Spacing)

Edited by k9master

Well GT5 obviously looks better and handling wise GT4 is almost as good as GT5,but they've sort of fine tuned it on the newer one so it's more closer to reality.Specially the varying grip levels are very noticable.

BTW totally OT but Check this out,The ability to race as King Julian alone makes this game awesome. :lol:

Hi MD,

:) Awesome game for cooling off and having fun. Thanks for sharing.

PS3 costs around S$500.00 which is very hard to put together when you are not single. I had to buy a new dining table for the home before going on an spending on the wheel. :) Guess PS2 will take a lot of time.

So planning to make an offer on a PS2 belonging to a friend of mine. Asked him to bring in over in the weekend to hook the wheel up and have a go on GT4.

I subscribed for iRacing and downloaded the tracks and cars available for the rookie level. Didn't have time to try it out yet as things have been crazy at work. Will try it out and post.

Hi Guys,

Checked out iRacing and loved it here’s my comparison of same with Simbin simulators and rFactor which I have been using for some time.

1. Physics in comparison to other sims, I’ve tried, is awesome. Under-steer & over-steer based on how acceleration and braking forces apply seems pretty realistic but can’t say for certain as I don’t have real life racing experience.

1. As for Steering Feedback, I love the limited options available to adjust it. With other racers you can adjust various aspects of force feedback you just don’t know what’s real. Here you can only adjust the strength and damping.

1. Not very happy about the selection of cars available. A lot of bias is there for American cars. No real euros available except for the original Ford GT40 which is not available for rookies unless you purchase.

Most of the time tried the MX5 roadster (which also has its European roots) and Pontiac Solstice. (Low power cars which are not a handful)

Physic notably change from car to car (which was ok with most of the Sims)

1. Tracks department is pretty much American too but the representation of track is so detailed and realistic in comparison to GTR2 and Race 07. They claim to use a special laser scanning system to replicate even the minute track details which are not present in most of the other Sims.

All ‘n all, it’s a pretty SERIOUS sort of a racing Sim. There are no computer controlled cars for us to race against. Only internet hosted multiplayer. You can only practice in the available cars and tracks just by yourself. Practice you need plenty when you get in to the races. Even rookies you find are pretty skilled.

Races initiated by iRacing are held as events governed by a strict set of rules similar to real life racing. Winning these races will upgrade your rep as well as your racing license. Allowing you to get cars with more power and drive in more sophisticated tracks.

More details as I go on…

P.S.: Thanks MD for introducing this…

You're welcome.

And keep at it for awhile then you'll start winning races,The great thing about sims are that most other online players will race fairly and won't try to spin you out.

Some tips-Learn the braking points and the 'turn in' points of the tracks,learn to 'feather' the throttle when taking corners so its not always power full on or full off,turn the traction control off or keep it below 20% and use manual gears.

You're welcome.

And keep at it for awhile then you'll start winning races,The great thing about sims are that most other online players will race fairly and won't try to spin you out.

Some tips-Learn the braking points and the 'turn in' points of the tracks,learn to 'feather' the throttle when taking corners so its not always power full on or full off,turn the traction control off or keep it below 20% and use manual gears.

Hi MD,

These are great tips, thanks very much.

I decided that i'm not gonna use any driver aids from the very beginning. Manual clutch and H shifter. Wanted to experience the real thing.

Practiced and now bit ok in handling the throttle without much affect on weight distribution. Can put a few decent laps without spinning or crashing now :)

Pontiac Solstice (Rookie edition) is the least powerful car there with 178bhp. I used this for practicing as I thought low power should be good for beginners. But using this in "Lime Rock Park", the track which i mostly use for practicing, doesn't allow many opportunities for braking. Controlled throttle is enough to get through most of the corners and flat on the floor in the main straight.

Am i doing it wrong or should i switch to a car with more power?

Cheers,

K9M

Live For Speed! www.lfs.net/

Content mostly from the mid 2000s, but the sim is constantanly being developed, although updates are slow in recent years. It can't compete with iRacing or rF for content though, as its limited to 20 cars and 7 track areas (7 track areas can be worked into 940 possible combos, excluding autocross).

The '09 Scirocco and Rockingham is due to be released.

Large base of drivers, including those who are racing in major leagues in iR, rF, and racing in GTL, nk Pro. I've come across a few Lankans who occationally use the sim, but not often.

Physics-wise LFS, nk-Pro and iRacing are supposedly currently the best out there with rF close behind. rFactor 2 is under developement, so keep and eye out for it.

Try out nk Pro, I think there is a demo (but not quite sure, I have'nt used it in a while) - www.netkar-pro.com/main/

Do try out the LFS demo version - 2 tracks (one asphalt, one rallyx) with 2 GTis and a Formula BMW.

I'm a big fan on LFS. Race on the public servers pretty often; I get my daily dose of racing. Made a thread about it here when I started back in 2008, but it didnt catch much attention.

I've tried rF - can't say I'm a fan of racing in that sim - although driving around the 1000s of downloadable cars/tracks in quite entertaining.

I've briefly tried iRacing, back in 2009 and again last year. Both times it didnt feel as good/comfortable as I felt in LFS. iRacing recently came out with the "New Tire Model", which turned out to be a big flop, although some cars are said to be better. And the thing with iRacing is that you have to keep on paying and paying and paying...

And then there is C.A.R.S this whole new project for Sim racing. Still under development, although for a modest fee you can join the development community. I've not tried this one yet, but its one to watch - www.wmdportal.com/

---

Racing with a G27 myself. If anyone is interested in LFS let me know!

Pontiac Solstice (Rookie edition) is the least powerful car there with 178bhp. I used this for practicing as I thought low power should be good for beginners. But using this in "Lime Rock Park", the track which i mostly use for practicing, doesn't allow many opportunities for braking. Controlled throttle is enough to get through most of the corners and flat on the floor in the main straight.

Ahhh... Lime Rock Park. I actually went there, and on a Ferrari Racing day. Thrill of a lifetime. Specially when an Enzo started its engine gave it some throttle in the paddocks while I was right next to it :D

Though there was a pretty sharp bend for turn two, IIRC. Watched a 360M go off there and into the tire wall which was in some extremely swampy ground.

Thats not SIM racing! You might as well say Mario Kart! :D

I'll admit it's not a simulator of any production car, but it's got excellent physics and massive fun factor. It's the only reason why I even have a PC. Hardly anything like Mario Kart.

So... anyone tried out LFS? You dont need a high end gaming rid to have a go.

Hi SIlver,

Thanks for your posts and its very nice to find a fellow G27 User.

After your suggestions I downloaded the demo of LFS and tried it side by side with Other Sims. I do like it as a racing experience and gives a great load of fun but IMO iRacing is much serious when it comes to all others.

1. Mainly I think iRacing physics is better than LFS. Particularly in capturing the way the car behaves with shifting of weight in acceleration and braking. Loss of traction, reaching the limit of grip is much more accurately represented in iRacing in comparison to all sims i have tried. This is the main reason.

2. Not having actual cars and tracks is bit off putting for me. I know LFS do contain representations of actual cars (in different names) but still... I wish i could say that I'm driving a digital version of Supra GT or a Mini, by Name. (Just a Psychological thing... :))

All n all, let me absorb it a little bit and perhaps we could meet for a few races.

Cheers,

K9M

Ahhh... Lime Rock Park. I actually went there, and on a Ferrari Racing day. Thrill of a lifetime. Specially when an Enzo started its engine gave it some throttle in the paddocks while I was right next to it :D Though there was a pretty sharp bend for turn two, IIRC. Watched a 360M go off there and into the tire wall which was in some extremely swampy ground.

Wow Peri, must have been a hell of an experience.

Yes, based on my simulation experience :) turn 2 is pretty tough. Coupled with turn 1 it gives a pretty hard set of corners to negotiate. If you run off even at 50-60 mph, wet ground takes you straight to the tirewall and you are done...

• 2 weeks later...

All n all, let me absorb it a little bit and perhaps we could meet for a few races.

Sounds good. I'll drop you a PM with my contact details :)

If you haven't tried out netKar-Pro yet, have a go - its all good fun, although multiplayer mode isn't as good as iRacing/LFS. Its got downloadable tracks, which is a big plus over LFS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...