• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

406 Remote Key

techlove

Question

My remote key battery (type cr2016) dies within 2 weeks or so.

The driver side door's lock box was faulty and I replaced it ,now it's fine.

Driver side rear door did not respond to either manuel lock or the remote key for some time but it works fine now,I don't know how.

So basically the car can be locked manually fine.

When replacing the remote's battery, the red led stays lit,After pressing twice goes off .Is this normal or is that the sighn of fault?

Next thing is funny ,the key won't work right after having a new battery,it waits another day to work.

Some guy replaced the tiny square switch on the key circuit ,key was fine for few days then the issue came back.

So ,are these keys repairable ?Or have to replace them ?

A programmed key costs around 12k in Punchi. Is that worth and reliable?

Any tips,expieriences and opinions are appreciated.

Thanx guys.

5 answers to this question

Seems there's battery drain in your remote key circuit. Start checking from the small switch which had been replaced. I assume either some preessure is being applied on the switch so it continuously passes electricity or switch itself could be faulty.

If you're buying a key, it should be a programable key rather than a programmed key as it can only be programmed once.

Best thing is to get the inner circuit checked by a competent electrician.

I've got issues with the remote key too. My 406's key button and the inner switch had fallen off after my dad has tried to play with it. :speechless-smiley-004: thinking of trying out this solution from e-bay. Mind you, this is just the button, and your circuit and metal parts should be working properly for you to try this solution.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peugeot-305-405-406-remote-key-fob-BUTTON-switch-fix-/190572640251?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5f03b7fb

But first I'm thinking of showing it to Aruna (our good Peugeot doctor who was introduced to me by Harshan - Thanks mate..!) and see if he could help.

In techlove's case, don't you think whoever replaced the button might have accidentally short-circuited the key? If that's the case, then you'll have to re-do the switch.

If the switch is connected properly, there is a chance that the small tip of your inner switch is always pressed. (causing the battery drainage, and the LED being always lit.) In this case, you should be able to use the above e-bay fix. The above solution replaces the tip of the inner button as well, so you could just take off the tip, and replace it with the e-bay button I guess.

Mind you! I haven't tried this yet, and I'm just thinking out loud. You'd better consult a good Peugeot mechanic, or an experienced electrician with some sensible thinking before trying it out. At least it'll save you about 10K of a full replacement key.

Good Luck..! I'll keep you posted when I get my key fixed.