• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Diesel Or Petrol

cooltnd

Question

Hi

First of all i would like to thank all the members for sharing valuable ideas and advices in this forum.

This forum is providing good resources for newcomers such as me.

I'm planning to buy my first car .

I have gone through most of the previous posts in this forum and learned a lot.

Due to the current price hike in fuel im struggling to take decision between petrol car and diesel car.

Even though buying decision will depends on my personal circumstances , i would like to get some valuable advices from you all.

1.My budget is 1million and willing to keep the car for a while so I'm not worrying about resale value

2.Main preference will be maintenance costs and fuel consumption as cant focus on driving pleasure due to the lack of funds

3.What are the differences in maintenance costs of diesel cars and petrol cars

Couldn't figure it out from previous threads . so i don't know whether I'm repeating the same questions. hope not,

If yes, do apologise for wasting your valuable time .

Pls note - Maruti will not be the solution due to the number of family members

thanks

13 answers to this question

cooltnd,

Petrol Cars running is expensive but cheap maintenance, if you run lot it is better to go for Diesel car maintenance is expensive.

1M you will get a used vehicle about 15 to 20 years years old.Every time you have to be in repair shops.

How many family members you have there is 8 seat Maruti small van which I use It comes under car registration. Petrol do about 9 to 12 Kms/ liter IN Colombo. Long trips I get about 15 to 17 Kms /Liter. New cost is 1,75M verify with A*W. Most finance companies will give you finance. January shipment I have reserved one vehicle.

I am not promoting Maruti Omni small van.As I use I give my comments about the vehicle.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

What is cheaper to run also depends on the number of kilometres you expect to cover on a monthly basis. Diesels are only cheap for people who do a lot of miles else the higher cost of acquisition and the higher running costs negates the benefits of having a diesel.

If it's your first car and your budget is 1million my advise is to start with a small petrol car, get used to running and maintaining a car and then if in the future you feel a diesel is more appropriate for your needs get one. You will find that the petrols have aged a lot better than diesel cars particularly because the diesels would have done a lot more kms (particularly something that is 20 years old) and because of the extra vibrations, weight of the vehicle.

• Like 1

Dear cooltnd,

As Mr Sylvi & BIG_D & The Don state in above i also can suggest you to gor for a pertrol car since this is your first vehicle.with your 1M budget you can go for a 17- 18- or 19- YOM after 1985 petrol car.with this car you can get a good knowledge & experince on how to maintaining\reparing a vehicle.so my advice is to go for a well maintained pertol car. (better to check your car with a good mechanical before pucrhase it)

Good Luck !!!!

cooltnd,

Member maheshw had given you very good advice on his post.

I want to share my next door faced about a lancer car which he bought about 45 days back 13- xxxx, he bought that car for 450000.00 rupees and straight away he got his known garage to do the necessary repairs.

All 4 shock absorbers were changed. Engine and gear box was removed from the car, engine top and bottom was removed to examine the extend of wastage of piston rings because the engine was smoking then the garage mechanic had found pistons and rings were bad wasted but the cylinder bore was OK,

He managed to change slandered pistons with set of new rings bearings set all slandered which a customer had given him to sell as he had them as a spare set for his car, which was sold some time back.

Gear box all ball racers were changed.Total brake system was overhauled this car is a carburetor model, few corroded places were done with one coat of new paint, electrical units were overhauled, wiring was good inside and seats were good.4 new tires.

all above cost him another 50000 thousand rupees the car had genuine odometer of 225000 KMs and the the car was not used for few years it was inside a owners estate in Katana garage closed up with a car cover very well protected so that rats will not attack inside seats the original owner had 4 vehicles, this car was bought new by him. I went with him to buy the car.

now the car is running good road worthy condition, but totally had cost him more than a million with other expenses going to garage to inspect the work progress in every two days for 40 days and transfer and new insurance.

This is the reason I advice every one to go for a new vehicle or any vehicle under 2 to 3 years. I my self being a blue collar worker who had been in automobile industry for few decades.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

To -Sylvi

Thanks a lot for yr quick reply and valuable advice. Actually Omini van is a nice vehicle and its brand new as well.Could you please tell me more about it, such as maintenance costs and reliability. According to my researches and previous threads there are safety issues and reliability issues with these vehicles(Please don't get me wrong) so please tell me about your experience regarding any issues so far you had.

Im not planning to use this car as a daily runner, so monthly mileage will be low

To - Big D/Don/Maheshw

Thanks for your valuable advices. Actually as you all said if I'm selecting an old car its better to find a well maintained car, that is very true which i haven't think earlier.

So what kind of cars will i get for my budget ?

What about Lancer CB series or CK series ? according to my research i think i can go for these cars.What about fuel consumption and maintenance costs?

Really appreciate your advice regarding any cars which you all might think will suit my requirements.

Thanks a lot guys for spending your valuable time and really appreciate your help

cooltnd for your budget of 1 mill you only can find cb lancer ck is cost more than 1mill you can find cars like nissan sunny fb13(doctor sunny) toyota corolla ae91 for your budget if you can increase your budget another 200k or 300k there are lot more cars are available to choose.

Edited by nexus

Thanks nexus.

i know there are less possibilities for 1million , but that is the max limit

so could please tell me more about lancer CB series, is there anyone here using lancer CB series cars?

Hope lancer owners will help me .

what about fuel consumption ?

cooltnd,

I have done about 5300Kms still no repairs, fitted a AC but it is not economical to run with AC.2 services done already by A*W.

Very cheap running cost have to fix two car fans then it will be comfortable inside. I send this van with two of my relatives to Chilow the van left Colombo early morning returned at night it was a straight run I got over 17 KMs / Liter.

I am satisfied with the van (car registration). I have taken off one seat it is only now 5 seats. Rear seat area I use for luggage space. I have two Vehicles so I use both, one day one, other day one. I have taken it on a full Lease from Com Bank I pay about 33000/00 for a month with Vat, for 36 months.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hi,

Here are some points which you might also like to consider.

Diesel vehicles are great for people who ride a lot and want to get it done cheap.

Petrol vehicles are good for people who do not run as much and don't like to take maintenance very seriously.

Well, to start off with, a diesel vehicle of the same make and model would cost more[1,2 or more laks. Depends on vehicle and age].

The registration cost of a diesel vehicle is slightly more.

The engine oil and service elements which you need to change in a service are of more cost in a diesel vehicle.

So, generally you'll need to spend more money on a vehicle service.

The battery you need for a diesel vehicle must be of a greater capacity in AH. Therefore the cost of battery replacement is higher.[battery replacement

is something which you do not do often, but just mentioned :) ]

Since the engine is larger and heavier in a diesel vehicle, the front suspension is made stronger than a petrol vehicle. Therefore repair costs related to suspensions would be higher. Also, other parts such as clutch-plates, engine mounts would cost more for a diesel vehicle.

In addition to these, a diesel engine usually faces an engine overhaul after some long running[10-15 years]. Some experience this after 150,000km and some even 400,000km. It depends on your driving and engine wear and tear. But, usually petrol engines do not face such a situation unless you are not very cruel to the engine.

So, generally buying an old diesel vehicle without proper checks is throne to get you stuck in the garages a lot and waste time and money on endless repairs. However, most old petrol vehicles do not trouble so much and can even be run with some problems without immediate repairs.

So, if you are not a technical guy who does not like to spend time on the garages, I recommend you to go for a petrol vehicle. If you are, then the choice is up to you :D

• Like 1