• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Kia Sorento 2012

Samu2001

Thanks mate!

So its similar to the Toyota's system, but I think the AWD can only turn on within a certain speed limit. In my Hiace it works below 20km/h only I guess

This is what the Sorento manual says (2012):

lPphePv.jpg

Which variants of KDH has AWD..??

I was in a KDH recently and noticed the ride is very bumpy at the back. It was a DX. Is it the same in SuperGL as well?

KDH205 comes with AWD and 2500CC

KDH206 comes with AWD and 3000CC engine. Mine is KDH206 Super GL

Im not sure if theres a difference in suspension but theres loads of difference in the interior and mostly DX vans are used as cargo vans hence some come with hard tyres from Japan

This is what the Sorento manual says (2012):

lPphePv.jpg

Thanks man! So its similar to the Hiace system. Only difference is that Hiace doesnt have a button, it automatically goes into the 4WD lock mode.

Do you own a Sorento?

Edited by Magnum

It turns back to RWD after certain speed, I think after 20km/h. It seems its not possible for the AWD to kick in during high speeds

Why do you say it is not possible to have AWD at high speed.If a vehicle is AWD it is full time AWD. It will not switch to RWD & AWD automatically. 4WD lock only works at low speeds.After certain speeds 4WD lock releases atomically.

What is the year..?? and how has it been serving you up to now..??

The model year is 2012 and mine's a petrol. I like the car, for it's size it's very nimble and manoverable and the 2.4L engine and 192hp gives me (nearly) sufficient power in any driving condition. So, it's good to drive and that's why it became the first choice car for me. Stiff suspension - cornering is good, ride comfort is relatively bad; definitely less comfortable than a Sportage. It's not an off-road vehicle and it doesn't carry the same ground clearance as Montero Sport. I've taken mine to a few hard corners in Sri Lanka and while you can coax it out of many difficult terrains, it's not built for that.

All being said, I can see the car literally (not financially) depreciating faster than a Japanese or an Euro because the plastics are hard and there are a few rough edges here and there. It's definitely well put together and from what I've seen 2014 and 2015 models are even more refined. Most of the options that come with the Sorento are also pretty good but it's time KIA made some of those standard.

Why do you say it is not possible to have AWD at high speed.If a vehicle is AWD it is full time AWD. It will not switch to RWD & AWD automatically. 4WD lock only works at low speeds.After certain speeds 4WD lock releases atomically.

Theres two types of AWD

1. Full time AWD, this is the one which stays as AWD in any condition like what you get in most Subaru

2. On the demand AWD comes on only when the rear wheels or front wheels(depends if the vehicle works as FWD or RWD in 2WD mode) lose traction

The reason why its speed locked or turns off beyond a certain speed was discussed here:

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/13684-whats-the-auto-4-wheel-in-car/?p=280316

Note: Read more about AWD in this site:

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/all+wheel+drive+explained/

Edited by Magnum