• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suzuki Xl-7

Hiran de silva

Dear experts,

Please advice me on following,

1. differance between escudo and grand vitara.

2. any known issues.

3. agents attitude

4. repairability, maintainability , reliability

5.comparision or parts cost

6. average fuel ecconomy,

7, resale value

8. reasonable price for 7 seater model.

8. parts availability

thanks in advance.

Hi Harin, here goes...

1.differance between escudo and grand vitara.

Its the same thing no difference, Grand Vitara is the export version and the Escoudo or the Grand Escoudo is the Japan Domestic model ( JDM ) . There are some differences between the two such as heated seats, leather seats, sun roofs, different lights, etc.. so you need to look out

2. any known issues. Assuming you are refering to the XL 7 version, nothing major and the V6 engine is solid, and heats up like hell, so proper care should be taken wrt the cooling system and the oil changes etc.. Some are know to have all sorts of electrical issues, but guess that is common with almost all cars these days. In my view nothing major to be concerned of.

3. agents attitude

Err.... this is a tough one, A*W they are good people, but the problem is the place is full of Marutis and the smaller cars, so they are not very focused on the XL-7, some of the mechanic have no clue and simply useless. But the customer care part is done well. I wish they had a seperate unit to handle the 4WD vehicles only.

Anything can be repaired, maintenance is not very expense ( relative ) in comparison , also prices of parts are probably same as for any Toyota, but difficult to find. However the agents will bring down any part within a few weeks so no big issue and nothing to loose sleep over.

5.comparision or parts cost - Said above

6. average fuel ecconomy, - 5 to 6 Km/lt Max, but if you could find a manual this will be much better.

7, resale value - Very low, but since you are anyway buying from the second hand makets ( which has already taken the drop ) it cannot do down any further. Maybe another 100k max, since you are adding another user.

8. reasonable price for 7 seater model. Anything between Rs 3 to 3.5 Mil . Sometimes its worth to pay more for a one which is well looked after after. This is a big vehicle, and you get almost all the benifits of a good off road vehicle, so its good value for money.

8. parts availability Already said

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dear expert,

am also looking to buy a G Escudo,2005 KE series,auto. how much will it worth..?

Should be still between 3 to 3.5, depending on millage, condition, nos of owners. Few luxuries may not be there Vs a Vitara, like sun roof, leather seats, but u might get stuff like heated seats, which is good if you live in Nuwara Eliya.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Harin, here goes...

1.differance between escudo and grand vitara.

Its the same thing no difference, Grand Vitara is the export version and the Escoudo or the Grand Escoudo is the Japan Domestic model ( JDM ) . There are some differences between the two such as heated seats, leather seats, sun roofs, different lights, etc.. so you need to look out

2. any known issues. Assuming you are refering to the XL 7 version, nothing major and the V6 engine is solid, and heats up like hell, so proper care should be taken wrt the cooling system and the oil changes etc.. Some are know to have all sorts of electrical issues, but guess that is common with almost all cars these days. In my view nothing major to be concerned of.

3. agents attitude

Err.... this is a tough one, A*W they are good people, but the problem is the place is full of Marutis and the smaller cars, so they are not very focused on the XL-7, some of the mechanic have no clue and simply useless. But the customer care part is done well. I wish they had a seperate unit to handle the 4WD vehicles only.

Anything can be repaired, maintenance is not very expense ( relative ) in comparison , also prices of parts are probably same as for any Toyota, but difficult to find. However the agents will bring down any part within a few weeks so no big issue and nothing to loose sleep over.

5.comparision or parts cost - Said above

6. average fuel ecconomy, - 5 to 6 Km/lt Max, but if you could find a manual this will be much better.

7, resale value - Very low, but since you are anyway buying from the second hand makets ( which has already taken the drop ) it cannot do down any further. Maybe another 100k max, since you are adding another user.

8. reasonable price for 7 seater model. Anything between Rs 3 to 3.5 Mil . Sometimes its worth to pay more for a one which is well looked after after. This is a big vehicle, and you get almost all the benifits of a good off road vehicle, so its good value for money.

8. parts availability Already said

I have a 2005 model Grand escudo.

pls explain how 4wheel operation in touch system .

what to do and not to do's. difference between 2H,4 H & Neutral etc,

can i switch over to 4 wheel while driving.?

i cannot interchange 4H & 4L ( a beep sound heard,nothing happens)

how to release from 4 wheel operation? have i to stop the engine.?

I have a 2005 model Grand escudo.

pls explain how 4wheel operation in touch system .

what to do and not to do's. difference between 2H,4 H & Neutral etc,

can i switch over to 4 wheel while driving.?

i cannot interchange 4H & 4L ( a beep sound heard,nothing happens)

how to release from 4 wheel operation? have i to stop the engine.?

On the grand vitara (i presume it's an auto box) you should be able to change from 2H to 4H at speeds upto 60kmph. But its not advisable as it might ham a few cogs here n there or damage your gearbox. I've done it on ours (not a electronic 4wd switch) at 20-30kmph while in yala and udawalawe and you wanna get into a bit of mud and you feel its better to be a bit safe than sorry... Basically 4H is for light gravel or snowy situations.

The Neutral does the same thing that the neutral of the normal gearbox does. It pretty much disengages the engine from the wheels.

the 4L is for more extreme mud or other situations where you can do with some extra torque. You cant shift (as in the lever wont physically budge) to 4L while moving. As yours is a electronic selector i cant elaborate on yours.

To disengage 4H and goto 2H you dont always need to stop the vehicle, but if you CAN stop, it might be better.

So , you did not check the 4WD system before buying this he :) .... his might help

http://www.ehow.com/how_5941012_use-drive-suzuki-grand-vitara.html

To add to whats mentioned by Watchman, basically in 2H, the engine wil turn only your rear wheels. This is the most fuel efficient mode, so you will almost always drive in this mode.

• 1 year later...