• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Dashboard Light Fluctuates

kushan

Guys,

Sometimes my car's dashboard lights fluctuates, and brake lights too.. What can be the cause for this. Some people asked me to replace the battery.

Sorry - you said 'sometimes'.... so that sounds like an alternator issue to me. More info on the 'when' and for how long please.

it lasts 10-15 minutes when is started. havent monitored it actually. I have fixed xenon lights for head and dim, but those are not fluctuating. except those issue is with all the other lights. starts when I start the engine, and fluctuates (sometimes).

it lasts 10-15 minutes when is started. havent monitored it actually. I have fixed xenon lights for head and dim, but those are not fluctuating. except those issue is with all the other lights. starts when I start the engine, and fluctuates (sometimes).

May i ask does this happen only when the xenon lights are turned on ?

Do a simple experiment,

1) Disconnect the headlight bulbs from the holders and see if the interior lights still fluctuate

2) Remove the ballast (the box part) of the xenon lights from the power line (not the line to the bulb but the line that comes from battery ) and see if the interior lights fluctuate

Just a hinge but sometime these subpar ballasts of xenon units short circuit and cause all kinds of trouble.

You might also want to see if the fluctuation of lights disappear when you rev the engine

What you mean is all your dashboard warning lights come on , and fluctuate as in flicker ? You need to diagnose if the charging is ok and the battery is good, any battery place should be able to confirm this to you but good if you could take it to Browns ( on high level road ). It could also be a simple issue where you need to clean the terminals.

What you mean is all your dashboard warning lights come on , and fluctuate as in flicker ?   You need to diagnose if the charging is ok and the battery is good, any battery place should be able to confirm this to you but good if you could take it to Browns ( on high level road ).   It could also be a simple issue where you need to clean the terminals.

Something like that happened to one of my friends 92 Camry. All the dash lights including warning lights come on and they start to flicker, even at day time when the headlights or parking lights are not on. Some said its a symptom of alternator diodes going bad. But as per my friend the car had this problem for about a week and it returned to normal. Maybe it was a loose connection or something.

• 3 months later...

Guys,

Fixed the problem by putting a new regulator, They said regulator IC was faulty.

Checked the voltage to the battery when the engine is started. It went up to 15V and and some more. That indicated a problem in regulator, coz it suppose to control the voltage and keep it under 14.5V. If its going more than that, then the problem is with your regulator. Thats how they diagnosed the problem at Pala auto electricals

Checked the voltage to the battery when the engine is started. It went up to 15V and and some more. That indicated a problem in regulator, coz it suppose to control the voltage and keep it under 14.5V. If its going more than that, then the problem is with your regulator. Thats how they diagnosed the problem at Pala auto electricals

Good that you got it sorted out, may I ask how big was the hole in the pocket? :)

Good that you got it sorted out, may I ask how big was the hole in the pocket? :)

:) 12K or 15K. cant remember exactly.