• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Help! I'm Hoping To Buy A Prius

kushani

Hi all,

i'm quite new here and i'm hoping to buy my first car.

i'm looking to bring down a prius from japan but i have no idea of how much tax i will have to pay. my budget is around 3.5 million therefore i think of buying a prius made in 2008.

can you please suggest me some good sites to see japan auctions and how to calculate the tax amount i will have to pay? if i am to stick to my budget of 3.5 million what is the best amount that i could afford to spend at the auction?

thanks for help!!

IMO the best is insight, the prius is just the toyota badge value.

the good thing about the insight is that, if something goes wrong with the electric motor

you can use the the normal petrol engine as a conventional car.

where the prius. if the electric motor went bust. you cant start the car at all.

and it looks a downside lot better.

and as another member have pointed out earlier. the insight share most of the components from

the Honda Fit Aria, so spare parts availability is there as well.

is the limit 2 years now? from where i can get correct information?

also 2 years calculated from date of purchase or date of arrival of the car to SL port?

Hi Kushani,Yea the limit is two years. This is calculated from the date the vehicle is shipped. i.e: the date on the BL.Someone gave some wrong info regarding the tax. You are only safe from tax changes once the vehicle has arrive here and you receive the custom declaration. If there are any tax changes during transit, i'm afraid you will have to pay the new amount.I will recommend the Prius over the insight mainly due to size among other things. I am 6 foot and if I get in the back seat of an Insight I have to bend my head. I guess this is due to the shape of the car.Since your budget is 3.5mil the Prius is out of range because the new Prius (less than 2 yr old ones) are significantly more expensive.Hope this helps.

is the limit 2 years now? from where i can get correct information?

also 2 years calculated from date of purchase or date of arrival of the car to SL port?

if u ask SBT or any other organization you plan to bring your car down

they will say, what kind YOM car you can bring down and on what date.

SBT are the people who informed me about the 2 year limit as well.

hey fella you can't bring down a toyota prius from japan for 3.5mill so your best bet will be registered ones they are going around 3.5mill mark good luck dude.

Kushani,

You cannot buy a Prius for 3.5M as nexus post said .

Try with Rama DBK in japan and in Srilanka the web link below, they are world wide shippers in line for 24 hours Ratmalana they have Srilanka with more than 20 people working on line you can select your car if you go to there office.

http://www.########.com/srilanka.php

Please note I am not advertising or a broker to Rama DBK.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

thank you all for the support. really appreciate it.

one of my friends gave me an wesite where i can look for cars when they are in auctions itself. in the auctions i noticed that the average price for a 2010 Prius S model, grade 4, done 22000 km car is about 1.25 million yen. if i could get hold of a car for about 1.3 million yen from auction how much it will cost me to bring it down here? (including broker fees, shipping, SL tax, LC cost and everything?)

She's not a fella according to her profile. Which must also be the reason why the hybrid bashathon hasn't started yet :to_pick_ones_nose3:

lol!! The wonder of all wonders, we have a member of the fairer sex in here!! And lo and behold! Everybody's on their best behaviour :D

I didn't think it was possible but well done: Nice one Gents, nice one!

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 3

one of my friends gave me an wesite where i can look for cars when they are in auctions itself. in the auctions i noticed that the average price for a 2010 Prius S model, grade 4, done 22000 km car is about 1.25 million yen. if i could get hold of a car for about 1.3 million yen from auction how much it will cost me to bring it down here? (including broker fees, shipping, SL tax, LC cost and everything?)

Where in the world did u see a car that cheap? Check the auction Grade surely its a R grade (Accident vehicle). The cars which are lower priced are mostly accident. Also the auction price u see is not the price u can get the car. CIF price would come to around auction price + something like 300,000/= YEN. so the 1.25 car would cost u 1.55 CIF JPY.

If your ok with a repaired vehicle u can go for it. But keep in mind after u purchase from the auction u can't cancel it unless u have a special agreement with your friend who is getting it. That said the risk is after u purchase a R rated car there is a possibillity u might not be able to get the JAAI certificate done (Another reason y ppl dont take a chance on these).

Where in the world did u see a car that cheap? Check the auction Grade surely its a R grade (Accident vehicle). The cars which are lower priced are mostly accident. Also the auction price u see is not the price u can get the car. CIF price would come to around auction price + something like 300,000/= YEN. so the 1.25 car would cost u 1.55 CIF JPY.

If your ok with a repaired vehicle u can go for it. But keep in mind after u purchase from the auction u can't cancel it unless u have a special agreement with your friend who is getting it. That said the risk is after u purchase a R rated car there is a possibillity u might not be able to get the JAAI certificate done (Another reason y ppl dont take a chance on these).

thanks schiffer,

my friends say insight is also better. should i go for a prius or an insight?

Hi Kushani,

As many people said, it will be difficult to find a prius within your budget. But you can import a decent Insight 2010. You might also be able to go for L grade or LS grade. I have few contacts who does vehicle import directly from auctions in japan, where you can select a car and give a budget limit. I don't have any contact from UK, but if you can find a UK import vehicle, it will be much better.

Kushani,

You call any shipping line in Colombo request a quote for container cargo get a exporter in japan to ship it for you they will quote for Insurance and their charges.

Go through the web you will find number of agents who will ship for you.All information is available on the web

First of all you have to get a TIN number from inland revenue. Call 1919 government information department and they will give you all correct information for you to import the vehicle. There are two or more departments are involved for this process You have to send a Letter of Credit through your bank if the shipment is very quick then you have to send the L/C, BY Telegraphic Transfer.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

xlr8r,

i found it on trademe website history page and on integrity express website history page. i found many prius S and prius EX cars which are more than grade 4, done about 20000-30000 km cars gone for a price between 1.2 mil to 1.3 mil yen. i also saw the car details where mostly A1, A2 category defects are seen.

these are the car prices i found

Date Car Yr Model Km's Shift Grd Price

06/10/2011 PRIUS 2010 EX 11k AT 4 1,275,000¥

02/09/2011 PRIUS 2010 EX 4k AT 5 1,480,000¥

20/08/2011 PRIUS 2010 S 22k AT 4.5 1,200,000¥

08/07/2011 PRIUS 2010 EX 6k AT 6 1,302,000¥

23/06/2011 PRIUS 2010 EX 5k AT 4 1,390,000¥

She's not a fella according to her profile. Which must also be the reason why the hybrid bashathon hasn't started yet :to_pick_ones_nose3:

hey thanks for pointing that out tbt and sorry for calling you fella kushani i didn't know you are a female at that time. :D

Hi Kushani,

As many people said, it will be difficult to find a prius within your budget. But you can import a decent Insight 2010. You might also be able to go for L grade or LS grade. I have few contacts who does vehicle import directly from auctions in japan, where you can select a car and give a budget limit. I don't have any contact from UK, but if you can find a UK import vehicle, it will be much better.

Hi Phil, can you give me those contacts pls?

lol!! The wonder of all wonders, we have a member of the fairer sex in here!! And lo and behold! Everybody's on their best behaviour :D

I didn't think it was possible but well done: Nice one Gents, nice one!

Well, in this case, the OP didnt strike a nerve by trying to push a prius down everyone's throat. But still, there's been plenty of "importing car" threads for the OP to read; the prius not being an exception.