• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Petrol, Diesel, Kerosene Prices Go Up

MAS

Don't know this is true bt a friend of mine said that the gov. is going to give vehicle permits for the newly elected politico's. Earlier they were given only motor bikes if i'm not mistaken. Govt. need to find money for that also.

What a wonderful country we are living in. But again in the next election, again we elect the same ppl to the parliament. No point in talking about this shit.

• Like 1

few days back in a newspaper I saw an ad from CPC calling for tenders for some huge stock of petrol... is this the remainder of the shitty petrol?

(I imagine CPC doesn't normally sell fuel to distributors through open tenders? what's the point of the govt fixing the retail price and then having a tender system for CPC to sell?)

few days back in a newspaper I saw an ad from CPC calling for tenders for some huge stock of petrol... is this the remainder of the shitty petrol?

(I imagine CPC doesn't normally sell fuel to distributors through open tenders? what's the point of the govt fixing the retail price and then having a tender system for CPC to sell?)

Yes it's the same dirty stock!!

Part of the contaiminated fuel which entered the market in June this year causing damages to more than 4,000 vehicles is set to re-enter the market, CPC sources said.

Fresh tenders have been called to dispose off 2600 metric tons of these stocks of fuel which remained at the Kolonnawa storeage facility.

Tenders have already been called to dispose off the stocks.

However, CPC sources said that it was likely that the quality of the fuel was improved now as it has been mixed with other stocks and may be less harmful compared to previous stocks.

According to the said advertisement CPC proposes to release 2600 MT, i.e., approximately 3,500,000 liters, of off-specification gasoline (low quality petrol) to the market, this time not through its dealer network, but through other sources. This is the first time in the fifty-year history of the CPC that an attempt of this nature had been made to release off-specification and/or low quality gasoline (petrol) to the market that too not through the legally appointment CPC dealer net-work, but perhaps through some of those connected to influential politicians. I am making these comments in the interest of the CPC as the advertisement at issue had per se given carte blanche to the successful buyers of the off-specification gasoline (low quality petrol) in question to dispose of such product without any restrictions and at their discretion. In the circumstances the possibility of such off-specification gasoline (low quality petrol) ending with illicit petrol outlets and the unsuspecting motorists once again getting stranded on the roads cannot be ruled out. Another possibility is that some unscrupulous CPC dealers themselves can make use of the opportunity to contaminate the gasoline they legally buy from the CPC with the off-specification gasoline (low quality petrol) so released to the market and cheat the unsuspecting motorists, who depend on the integrity of the CPC, and thereby make a "quick buck".

Yikes... am I the only one who's understanding the gravity of Sylvi's note?

Obviously the guy is being sarcastic at the beginning but he pointed out something important. Many Sri Lankans are daydreaming of oil in Mannar basin but according to his post (if it is a true first hand account), it may be just another political stunt pulled by our master manipulators.

You are spot-on Crosswind. I guess the ignorance of the local political history and fondness to bash certain individuals got the best of the them.

Sylvi clearly states "like during late MRS. S.D.B+++++++++++a's time......"

To refresh everyones memory, Mrs. Bandaranayake pulled a similar stunt just before 1977 elections. Claiming that they found oil in mannar basin. She even went to the extend of showcasing an oil sample in a clear container in the parliament and campaign stages. Similar to how the latest results of exploration work was published just before the municipal counsel elections.

This regime is very famous for making big statements out of their ass. Remember how the energy minister after opening the Kerawalapitya power plant said going forward there will be no power cuts. After rejecting claims of a rock been in the bottom of the Hambanthota port now all of a sudden the ports authority is publicly hunting for finances to destroy the rock. The list goes on. Guess we just have to take what ever they are saying with a grain of salt.

Did you boys hear the CPCs excuse for hiking the prices. They are blaming it on the CEB. And the CEB is blaming it on the industrial and public sectors and the consumers who fall under the low power consumption category.

http://dailymirror.lk/news/14458-cpc-blames-ceb-for-oil-price-hike.html

Actually the fuel prices have dipped this year because of recession fears. Who are these people trying to fool? This is probably to cover for the loss of importing faulty fuel. We get to foot the bill while some scumbag in CPC makes money from importing water.

I think its wrong to say oil prices have dipped this year. Its been very volatile due to the European debt crisis, possibility of a double dip in USA and the political unrest in middle east.

To answer Peri's question about the heading deal, we lost one of the law suites (standard charted i think) and then we won one (City bank, i think) and the other is still pending but seems to favor us. AG has filed an an appeal against the one we lost. If we get a favorable decision on the pending 3rd case then most likely we'll win the appeal on the first decision too.

Did you boys hear the CPCs excuse for hiking the prices. They are blaming it on the CEB. And the CEB is blaming it on the industrial and public sectors and the consumers who fall under the low power consumption category.

http://dailymirror.l...price-hike.html

bugger that for a f***ed up cross-subsidy! so, in exchange for getting 90 units or so of electricity at a cheaper price, the common man then has to pay higher bus fares, higher cost for his rice and veggies (which are transported on diesel fuel)… ?? even the people who have no electricity connection but use kerosene for lighting and cooking (also increased in price)?

the easiest (but not the most popular) way of sorting out the electricity tariff anomaly for domestic use is to give a discount on first 90 units of electricity only if the total consumption is less than 90 units (the purpose of the lower tariff is to assist low income households)

Sifaan,

You are perfectly correct about your last few sentences of your post.

the easiest (but not the most popular) way of sorting out the electricity tariff anomaly for domestic use is to give a discount on first 90 units of electricity only if the total consumption is less than 90 units (the purpose of the lower tariff is to assist low income households)

The electricity cost is the most expensive county in the region is Srilanka if I am not mistaken.

the 90 units for month are not sufficient today for poor house hold, because they use number of electrical units. The government should increase the present units 90 to 300 is my suggestion. and increase About 5% of the present rate.

I do use average of 25 to 33 units a day depending on washing machine and cloths ironing. I pay rupees 19.55 per unit because mine comes under business. I some times pay a bill of rupees 25000.00 for a month. For me As I am a business men it's OK.

Increasing 10 % from business tariff is OK.

This will effect the total economy every thing will go up in cost.

I know some houses use CFL in all bulbs at their homes but still they go up to 300 units for a month then they pay more than Rs.20.00 for a unit.

I too use CFL I pay high due to various electrical units I use for my business and I live on the same premises on upper floors.

I have power factor correction capacitors fitted to my main supply. I save about 3 to 5% from entire bill Because I have P/F capacitors.There are more than 20 A/C units about 8 Water pumps, more than 40 ceiling fans. on my commercial building.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Can anything be more ridiculous than this? We are paying twice, first to the CPC for providing CEB with subsidizing fuel, and then pay again to the CEB to recover the loss caused from generating electricity from the subsidized fuel from CPC! What the FFFFFFFFFFF!

Island Editorial - The Ceylon Petroleum Corporation (CPC) has sought to justify the fuel price hikes on the grounds that there has been an increase in oil prices in the world market and the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) has to be provided with fuel at subsidised rates for thermal power generation. We find ourselves in a very strange situation; we have to pay the CPC more for petrol, diesel and kerosene to keep the CEB supplied with fuel at concessionary rates and at the same time pay the CEB more for electricity generated with the subsidised fuel!
Edited by liya

And funny thing is Gov is spending money on advertising to save electicity power, thus making us low power consumption category. And now blame us for been low consumption customers...

Members,

Do not worry we have already Dig the fist gas well in Mannar off sea. So very soon gas will be available free of charge to every household for cooking and lighting in Srilanka as for Chintana. more jobs will be created we will eliminate poverty from our paradise Island.

So that we need not depend on Electricity any more, more gas station mudalalis will be created in villages for distribution of gas to villages.

like during late MRS. S.D.B+++++++++++a's time in early 1970 we got oil ( un )successfully in mannar inland well which, Russians were engaged in oil drilling. I was engaged in Electrical repairs to their machines. later they found it was not commercially explorable and closed the project.

The last 1977 may day rally was one of the longest by then governing party, which took to pass one point 6 hours or more, and one slogan was not to have elections till we get oil successfully.

Fortunately Late JRJ came to power in 1977 and today we are enjoying TV using most modern Automobiles in the world and going to have drag racing this week end.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Dear Sylvi mate, Oil & Gas industry seen many moons after 70s. The reason why Russians gave up the 'Oil' Idea since the 2D Seismic forecasted only gas and petrochemicals only. In early 70s Asian gas production was well below 30 billion cubin meters and now its risen to 400 average and South Asia alone is producing nearly half of that.Total European Gas consumption was below 100 billion cubic meters and now the total world consumption is 3500 billion cubic meters.Agree that time gas and oil industry was not flashy and now the story is otherwise.Cairns Energy is spending US$ 1670 every second,yes a second since 4th of August in Sri Lanka exploring. Now a gas well is found at location 'Dorrado" an exploring Oil at location "Baraccuda"- Mannar Basin neigbouring Indian Cavary Basin- South Asia's richest Oil & Gas basin. Its good to have fun making jokes of the local oil exploration project but the fact remains we have oil and Gas and absolutely commercially viable now.No one can guarantee how government and politicians going to enjoy the explorations.In 1956 Oil and Gas discovered in Nigeria, barely 12 years after Oil and Gas found in Saudi Arabia.Tell me where Saudi and Nigeria in the global economic map now.MINIACE

• Like 2

MINIACE,

Thanks for your very valuable educational post about oil industry. I do not dispute your facts and figures.

On my post I said what I know about history of oil drilling in Mannar. As you say it all will be on the hands of our supreme politicos. Because of the fact, we have oil and Gas and absolutely commercially viable now.

Once in a way good to have fun making jokes I think it is OK.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Adding few to my comment about Oil and Gas found here thingy, Crude oil was discovered in India way back in 1889-in Assam.

Ever since India was enjoying the benefits. Now India is producing 3.196 MMT crude oil a year, yet the fuel price stands Indian Rs71.92 for petrol and diesel at Indian Rupees 45.99 in Mumbai.

India stands global corruption Perception index (popularly known as Worlds most corrupted countries) ranked 87 and Sri Lanka not too far at 91.

I dont have high hopes :-(

MINIACE

• Like 5

Further according to the 2011 GHI (Global hunger index) India ranked 15th with 23.7 and rising while Petrolium giants Anil & Mukesh Ambani brothers worth US$ 8.8 billion and Us$27 billion respectively.Wish not to list their political friends here.

Hmm I dont see a light at the end of the tunnel...

MINIACE

No doubt Sri lankas petroleum resources (if any) will be pocketed by the usual rouges. Corruption is of course everywhere not just endemic to SL. On the positive side, its getting more difficult to fool people thanks to the blessed Internet. That probably the reason why all these "occupywallstreet, arab springs, London riots are all happening at the same time. sri lanka will be no exception if this day light robbery doesn't stop fast

Edited by liya

Adding few to my comment about Oil and Gas found here thingy, Crude oil was discovered in India way back in 1889-in Assam.

Ever since India was enjoying the benefits. Now India is producing 3.196 MMT crude oil a year, yet the fuel price stands Indian Rs71.92 for petrol and diesel at Indian Rupees 45.99 in Mumbai.

India stands global corruption Perception index (popularly known as Worlds most corrupted countries) ranked 87 and Sri Lanka not too far at 91.

I dont have high hopes :-(

MINIACE

If this index counts downwards from 100 (100,99,98.....) 91 is a pretty fair place for SL.

• 2 weeks later...