• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Start Auto Repair Workshop

bpcd

Hi friends, I have an idea to start automobile repairing workshop, (I have a good place for it) and would like to find someone who interested (well trained technician) in profit sharing basis. So your advice is appreciated. BPC

BPCD, this is a forum of automotive enthusiasts and sadly all members with the type of expertise you seek either are too busy with their day jobs or have their own successful work shops. So sadly you are looking in the wrong place.

The problem with this type of arrangement with somebody who you don't know is that at some point the other party could always walk away start his own business and take the customers with you. As my old boss told me, in a small company the boss needs to know how to do every job in the business. May I suggest you take a part time course in motor engineering yourself to begin with, possibly at a place like German Tech ?

Edited by The Don
  • Like 2

Hello mate, I tried to set shop in SL, but sadly it did not work out. I am qualified in European vehicles & to start, as my workshop was out of Colombo there was not much exposure & finding dedicated technicians is like finding a needle in a haystack. Had 3 guys, who always had some sort of excuse to turn up for the 6days of the week.Its always some sort of excuse like the grandmother died or someone else. I am not trying to be insensitive. How many times can one grandmother pass away. Another ones wife was not working and staying at home. But for some reason he had to take time off everyday to pick the children & drop them off to school & would never turn up on time or take hours doing private work.

Finally it was not worth the stress I was going through as I was expecting things to happen in an orderly manner like UK.

Considering many options I returned with my family back to UK. It was sad to leave such a beautiful country where every day is a summer's day unlike Surrey in UK. I am getting back to what I was doing before which was Salvage, Recovery, Mechanics & European vehicle parts.

If anyone has any issues with European vehicles please contact me at [email protected] & I will be more than happy to help.

Best regards

Jerome

Hello mate, I tried to set shop in SL, but sadly it did not work out. I am qualified in European vehicles & to start, as my workshop was out of Colombo there was not much exposure & finding dedicated technicians is like finding a needle in a haystack. Had 3 guys, who always had some sort of excuse to turn up for the 6days of the week.Its always some sort of excuse like the grandmother died or someone else. I am not trying to be insensitive. How many times can one grandmother pass away. Another ones wife was not working and staying at home. But for some reason he had to take time off everyday to pick the children & drop them off to school & would never turn up on time or take hours doing private work.

Finally it was not worth the stress I was going through as I was expecting things to happen in an orderly manner like UK.

Considering many options I returned with my family back to UK. It was sad to leave such a beautiful country where every day is a summer's day unlike Surrey in UK. I am getting back to what I was doing before which was Salvage, Recovery, Mechanics & European vehicle parts.

If anyone has any issues with European vehicles please contact me at [email protected] & I will be more than happy to help.

Best regards

Jerome

Hi Harris,

Sadly what you say is all too common when employing workmen as the work ethic of most is quite poor and the ones who have a good work ethic are like Gold so in heavy demand. This is why I suggested the OP plan and run the operation by himself initially else it will become a failure from the start.

Harris where is your workshop in Surrey based?

Very true Don. I had a large warehouse type unit in Thornton Heath,Surrey before I came to SL.As I have been away for 3 years I am negotiating to take it back.At the moment I am in the process of gathering stock of salvage cars for breaking as parts which is mainly Peugeot & BMW. Is there any chance of shipping parts to SL to someone who is reliable? Can be done as dismantled parts or cut pieces.

Mr Harris,

Yes what you say 100% correct with Srilankan Blue collar workers they are for money, wants at least 10 days holidays for a month, they only work 8AM to 5 PM with lunch 1 hour and for tea another 1/2 hour during working time. maximum they work only 6 hours for a day. Please note you cannot get a intelligent, devoted, faithful, efficient, blue collar worker today less than rupees 50000.00 for a month with all incentives and bonus.

You have to charge accordingly if not you cannot survive and get a name in the business. Most Automobile repair shops try to do cheap rate service, ultimately the will close shop in few months unable to meet the overheads.

If not only diagnose automobile problems and take your Professional charge,

educate them to do it your self, if they are capable

Or recommend automobile repair Mechanic, who has the expertise knowledge on the faulty job, who will do it by himself.

like Doctors do consultation.

This is one reason I left my Electrical business which existed more than 60 years which my late father established.At last had more than 20 workers. Paid them of Ex-Gratia payments.

I selected a USA automobile Franchise in 1992 which I still do without much trouble, only with three workers they are given boarding and lodging on my account. I don't get any thing out of the Automobile service what I do now after paying off the workers salaries and other expenses for them.

I write under is not automobile related but it is what I have done successfully for last ten years

I am not blowing my trumpet live on my Inherited income But I am still a Blue collar worker take challenges in life modifying Electrical and mechanical units. Including Civil engineering.

I only want to share my knowledge on civil engineering what I have done successfully.

Do my buildings floors without shuttering this system in USA is sheet Metal deck but in Srilanka is asbestos deck I save about 35% saving on that item alone, I completed 2nd floor on one of my commercial buildings 30 months back, I completed 3300 square feet of building concrete structure only for 1000.00 Rupees for a square foot one concrete floor was there already, only raising concrete 26 columns 12"X12". 10"X10" connected beams and the top floor with ready mixed concrete. 1st Floor was done in year 2000, in the same way little different we did with mixing concrete in site.

This system was developed by one of my key employees who is handling my Automobile service what I do at the moment.

Small floor areas with out using Steel bars using only asbestos longest sheath available good well aged coconut rafters cut in to 1X2 inch V shape goes into the asbestos sheath grove and 2X2 wire metal square sheet on top of that then use small stone chips and quarry sand (quarry powder) mixed with cement. I did few days back at Ja-ela 1st floor with that method on a two story building.

Above method you need not to do plastering, plywood shuttering as the finished side of the asbestos sheet is used to bottom, only use a prop at the canter with a 6 inch plank. Later after about 15 days can apply any paint on that.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hi Don, I am automotive enthusiasm too I have some basic knowledge (or cense) about automobile engines, electrical and mechanical so it is not difficult to pickup things. I even do minor repairs myself but actually I wish to do administrative work. Of cause we all know nature of Sri Lanka people

How do we call it? Typical Sri Lanka. But actually I like to know registration taxes tec.

Hi Don, I am automotive enthusiasm too I have some basic knowledge (or cense) about automobile engines, electrical and mechanical so it is not difficult to pickup things. I even do minor repairs myself but actually I wish to do administrative work. Of cause we all know nature of Sri Lanka people

How do we call it? Typical Sri Lanka. But actually I like to know registration taxes tec.

hi Sylvi all above + basic metalwork equipments. terms? forum membest may have some good ideas or terms, so need advice on that.

bpcd,

You mean the asbestos deck instead of steel sheet deck in USA.

http://www.commercia.../metal-deck.php

You can see the sheet deck concrete at St Josephs College Darly road Maradana by the road side near swimming pool.

It is very simple method because you do not want any shuttering, only prop up at the middle of the asbestos sheet as all four sides of the Asbestos sheet is resting on the concrete beams. Further more a small 3X3 beam can be concreted before we start laying sheets at every overlapping joint, for support of the joint when we originally concrete the main beams with one 14MM OR 12MM Tor steel bar. What I do is insurt a 2 inch pipe on to the beems and after 15 days remove the pipe. by cutting one end as it is in side the concrete beam other side can be pulled out.

Note, 9 inch beam is tapered to be 13 inches on top to rest the asbestos sheet if it is a large room can have number of asbestos sheets, then every over lap joint has to be fastened with nut and bolt or use pop rivet and give a prop from the bottom. For every over lap joint.

Under plastering not necessary at all. After concreting you leave the asbestos sheet on the slab you cannot remove same because it get settled and concrete get had with the sheet.

We make use of the asbestos sheet strength, to use less steel bars or can be replaced with coconut rafters 1X2 inches V shape has to saw on a machine to 11 feet lengths height will be 1 1/2 inches. If it is a dueling house you will not load much due to the above fact you can use a small thin 2X2 wire mesh on top of the asbestos sheet under on asbestos sheet V groves are filled with coconut rafters made to the correct size.

3 inches of concrete will do for a dueling house 1X2X3 mixture. can be chips with quarry dust or normal way of concrete mixture.

if it is a office building the normal 10-MM tor steel bar can be used for 12X12 squares tied to gather if more loading is done on the floor instead of coconut rafters one 10- MM tor steel bar can be put in every V grove on the asbestos sheet with above 12X12 10MM- tor steel bar under to the asbestos grove. but you have to have 4 inches of concrete. 1X2X3 Mixture.

I got my building to be concreted by "Maga" ready mix concrete 3300 square feet. cost me Rupees 455000.00 three years back.

If you want to have a look of what I have done in Colombo please do come to 418, Galle road Colombo 03.

Contact me early 2573690/0712222420.

Sylvi Wijesinghe,

Hi Sylvi, appreciate your post regarding construction method I am thinking to start much simpler as possible from the beginning, of cause we can improve and expand later on with the progress of the business.

bpcd,

You consult a civil engineer brief him the method, I have written on my post C/E will give you more saving on Ribbed Steel what will have to be used on top of the asbestos slab. If any one wants can come to inspect my building how my assistant had done. I have some more pictures if you want to get a idea I can e mail them to you please give your E mail address.

It is more than 9 years since we started this method of asbestos deck.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.