• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Yamaha Tzr125

Huzefa

Hey guys, a friend of mine has been shopping around for a TZR125 for some time and through google and whatnot we found that most of the bikes in SL are from the 90's. Has anyone owned this particular bike and knows the problems etc that he should expect? He is a bit apprehensive because it is an old bike but its the only one he can afford, so any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks

very good little bike. have not owned one myself but friends have had them sometime back.

if it's been looked after well, shouldn't give you much trouble.

2 strokes tend to need top end overhauling a little more frequently than your average 4 stroker. Since it's a bit of an older bike, i would check the mechanicals well. also things like shocks etc.

Check the body for crash damage, most these bikes are not ridden slowly...

very good little bike. have not owned one myself but friends have had them sometime back.

if it's been looked after well, shouldn't give you much trouble.

2 strokes tend to need top end overhauling a little more frequently than your average 4 stroker. Since it's a bit of an older bike, i would check the mechanicals well. also things like shocks etc.

Check the body for crash damage, most these bikes are not ridden slowly...

Thanks for replying man. Yeah we went and looked at a few bikes yesterday, but hes not made up his mind yet, we saw one with a pretty bad body but the mechanic we had with us said the engine was pretty good..Also if you have any other suggestions for the 50k range id appreciate it..

I have used this particular bike. At that time the most expensive item to replace was the shock absorber. Overhauling the engine was pretty straight forward and reasonably priced then. Do not know if parts are still available. It would be difficult to miss a piston lap if ever there was one. Make sure the power valve unit is working well. The bike is useless in my opinion without a good working power valve. I believe the bike had a CDI. Wonder if they are still available if it packs up. Cheers...Good luck>

I have used this particular bike. At that time the most expensive item to replace was the shock absorber. Overhauling the engine was pretty straight forward and reasonably priced then. Do not know if parts are still available. It would be difficult to miss a piston lap if ever there was one. Make sure the power valve unit is working well. The bike is useless in my opinion without a good working power valve. I believe the bike had a CDI. Wonder if they are still available if it packs up. Cheers...Good luck>

things like bad shocks are easy to spot. since it's a 2 stroke motor...engine jobs are somewhat easy! even DIY provided you know what you're doing. yes they do have a cdi unit but i beleive busted ones can be fixed these days... Also if you walk around in maligawatta area you can get ones off a breaker shop.

had one of these a long time ago.. Overall id say one of the worst bikes i had. did about 18Kmpl. The power valve unit bot burnt after some time, & there is no one to repair or no where to but an extra one here. the bike is useless without the power valve system cos it does not pick up. id recommend u to go for a 4stroke. If u really wanna speedup & showoff go for a CBR or else settle for a Indian one (Hero Honda Unicorn has some good reviews)

had one of these a long time ago.. Overall id say one of the worst bikes i had. did about 18Kmpl. The power valve unit bot burnt after some time, & there is no one to repair or no where to but an extra one here. the bike is useless without the power valve system cos it does not pick up. id recommend u to go for a 4stroke. If u really wanna speedup & showoff go for a CBR or else settle for a Indian one (Hero Honda Unicorn has some good reviews)

how much kmpl would similar 2 stroke bike would do? a sport oriented 2 stroke 125 not one of em indian junks?

KMPL is not much of an issue with him.. The initial cost matters much more in this case...

Anyway how bad is the power valve issue? So if theres no way to get it repaired what did you do? Thanks for replying, the bike is almost bought actually the problem is the colour so hes looking out for other options still..

Ripper and Newbi has already given u a good insight to it so here's my two cents as well...

Owned one few years ago and it was definitely great riding experience, especially when the power valve kicks in.

First up, TZR 125 production ceased in late 90s so u will not find anything newer. Even the ones with English numbers are from the 90s.

There are two types of TZR 125s - front disk model and the rear disk model (which has disk brakes on the front and the rear). If u can't recognize which is which, you are better off going for a Scooty or something. But the point is, I would strongly recommend the rear-disk model, which is a bit pricier. You will know why, if you took them for a spin, even on slightly damp conditions.

Problems - TZRs have a notorious power valve system, which has an electronic component, which doesn't hold out too well against hot and humid conditions. The electronic components tend to die with time but there used to be folks who could repair those (I had the power valve repaired a couple of times). Few years ago, power valves were also available for sale in the breaker shops in Maligawatte for about 5000. Expect them to be a bit pricier now.

There's no 100% guaranteed method to check the power valve but before you buy, ensure that you take a good test run and see if the power valve kicks in at the right time. There should just be one clear squeak when u put the key to the ignition. If you hear any constant sounds or unusual squeaks, be prepared for some repair expenses.

Second problem I faced was with the cooling system. Make sure coolant (not plain water) is used in the bike and make sure the radiator is in good condition. Could be a bit difficult (and expensive) to source a radiator.

Take a good look at the owner and see if he's a cheapskate or a guy who likes sports bikes. the reason I'm saying that is because TZR is not a fuel efficient bike. An el cheapo would have played around with the carb and possibly even the engine itself with the desperate hope of increasing the fuel economy.

Check for white smoke emanating from the exhaust. If so, you may need an overhauling. Not a very tough job but you should have spare cash in hand to take up the repairs.

Not sure about the problem with the shock (TZR has a mono-shock) but I agree that it could also be an expensive repair.

Most importantly, check if the frame structure is intact. check if its been painted, whether there are any cracks, bends, holes or any kind of welding marks. If it's painted - ask why. check the chain sprockets to see if they are ok. They could end up being safety hazards. Check the tires to see if the wear and tear is even.

Having said all this, time must come when you have to let go of things that you love the most. And that's exactly what I had to do to my TZR. I believe that the TZRs days are far behind us and it will be a small miracle if you find one in pristine condition. So if you have any other options, think twice before you go for a TZR.

If you need any more help, do let me know. Cheers.

Edited by Crosswind

Check for white smoke emanating from the exhaust. If so, you may need an overhauling.

well this is a two stroke bikes so isn't white smoke part of the deal?

fyi...i still own a honda mtx200r....2 stroke...i did a full overhaul on it about an year before i stopped using it. put new clutch pack, piston, bearings, main drive shaft, crank, 2nd gear wheel and gear forks, 2t pump etc.

It would still smoke white/blue cos it's burning the 2T oil...

I have ridden quite a few 2stroke my life and have never seen a 2stroke that doesn't smoke...in fact many refer to 2strokes as 2smokes :)

I would love to know of a 2stroke motor that doesn't smoke...

• Like 1

Not a big expert of bikes, so thanks for the correction there.

In my case, I happened to get thick white smoke after using the bike for some time, which actually got reduced after the engine overhaul. Don't know if I was cheated by the baas unnahe long time ago :sad-smiley-058:.

Not a big expert of bikes, so thanks for the correction there.

In my case, I happened to get thick white smoke after using the bike for some time, which actually got reduced after the engine overhaul. Don't know if I was cheated by the baas unnahe long time ago :sad-smiley-058:.

white smoke is normal on 2 strokes. cylinder bore gets lubricated with 2T oil injected into the cylinder itself and as it burns the smoke is created. there is no way out of it...

In fact if it doesn't smoke...something is definitely wrong with it. Either the 2T pump is kaput or the owner isn't running enough 2t lube

I had a TZR 125 (Black Delta Box) & the 250 3MA (Commonly known as the Front Carb), both were really good bikes & very good pocket rockets. Never had any problems with them except the 3MA had been lying around for sometime when I bought it & water had got into the Carb. Replaced the unit through the agents. And everything else worked like a charm. Didn't the logic in most people trying to compare them to the "Indian" crap that congest the streets. But then again they do the same thing when it comes to the 4 wheel versions too.

One thing to look out for is that the 2 stroke oil pump is working. Some people tend not to fix this & land the oil direct to the tank (3 wheeler style). And if you do get the bike try to use a good 2 stroke oil like Castrol, etc. It smells really nice too...lol.

I had a TZR 125 (Black Delta Box) & the 250 3MA (Commonly known as the Front Carb), both were really good bikes & very good pocket rockets. Never had any problems with them except the 3MA had been lying around for sometime when I bought it & water had got into the Carb. Replaced the unit through the agents. And everything else worked like a charm. Didn't the logic in most people trying to compare them to the "Indian" crap that congest the streets. But then again they do the same thing when it comes to the 4 wheel versions too.

One thing to look out for is that the 2 stroke oil pump is working. Some people tend not to fix this & land the oil direct to the tank (3 wheeler style). And if you do get the bike try to use a good 2 stroke oil like Castrol, etc. It smells really nice too...lol.

absolutely agree. i sometimes wonder when people post certain replies with certain claims whether they have ever owned the vehicle in question in the first place :D we have far too many posers on AL these days :(

During my young and dumb days...used to race with a few RZ's and TZR's. There was this blue RZ125 i used to meet almost everyday on my way to work and we used to ride pretty fast together. never knew who the chap was...hitting 120 consistently was no biggie... I was riding an MTX200R.... light, nimble and fast...

it's a miracle i manage to survive those years :) :)

I've even lost control and gone into a canal completely dunking the bike....except for a badly bruised ego...nothing much happened to the bike.

Took it home...drained all fluids, cleaned up all the water and it started the first kick...

If not for the irritating sound and oil splatters on clothing...i would still love to be riding a 2 stroker

absolutely agree. i sometimes wonder when people post certain replies with certain claims whether they have ever owned the vehicle in question in the first place :D we have far too many posers on AL these days :(

During my young and dumb days...used to race with a few RZ's and TZR's. There was this blue RZ125 i used to meet almost everyday on my way to work and we used to ride pretty fast together. never knew who the chap was...hitting 120 consistently was no biggie... I was riding an MTX200R.... light, nimble and fast...

it's a miracle i manage to survive those years :) :)

I've even lost control and gone into a canal completely dunking the bike....except for a badly bruised ego...nothing much happened to the bike.

Took it home...drained all fluids, cleaned up all the water and it started the first kick...

If not for the irritating sound and oil splatters on clothing...i would still love to be riding a 2 stroker

Oh ya, the MTX200R was a shirt killer specially for the guy riding pillion...LOL but nice Red and Orange. Another lovely bike was the RZ350 B)

Edited by Gyiman