• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Odometer Resetting By Used Car Sellers (My Experiance)

iPrabhath

This is another real story happened to my friend. Last Saturday morning he called me and said that he found a good quality (may be good look) cefiro car and he made a advance for reservation. :(. Then i realized the seller is same guy mentioned under this topic, but this time from Piliyandala. I have told about that guy and instruct to buy it only after inspect it properly. My friend has got the copy of the book and traced the few previous owners contact number via leasing companies. As per the last owner he has used it for 5 years and replace the engine. And the odometer reading was 130K+ when he selling the car. But now 90K. He has sold it for 1.2 mil just 3 month before and now it is 1.69 mil. :P. He also said that it doesn't worth over 1.4 m.

P.N. I don't want to personally attack to this seller. But i am really worry about his misleading procedure. This time he has mentioned that he is the owner of "US C** Sa**" and car has been used by his wife for a long time. Please check carefully when you are going to buy a second hand car. Don't hurry. It is not the only car in SL to buy!!!

Thanks Indika. It'll be helpful for lot of newbies like me. :)

BTW, isn't it possible to find from the registration certificate that the engine has been replaced?

Thanks Indika. It'll be helpful for lot of newbies like me. :)

BTW, isn't it possible to find from the registration certificate that the engine has been replaced?

No way to find those thing from the registration certificate. But if you can traced the history of vehicle you can find it. In the above case my friend has called the Nissan agent (A*W i guess) and they have told the maintaining history of the car and also original millage on that time as well. Further, the leasing company (if the car had a leasing) also said that they can show the copy of valuation report taken by them by that time. Also they gave the phone number of the owner by that time and it was help to find more information from him. From old valuation report you can traced the millage and some important things.

Also you can trace the history by calling to the insurance companies for the past accidents by known contact if it was the full insurance.

Thats true, tracing the history of the vehicle is the best way.

But some may not be able to do so with their busy lives / lack of proper contacts..... buying the vehicle from a trustes source is the best way.

Better you always buy the vehicle from the registered owner or from a reputed place/person. Even paying a little more for such a vehicle is good rather than getting into so many troubles. Unfortunately, people pay more for those misleading sellers :sad-smiley-066: .

Normally what those cheating guys do is like - they put new tyres/alloys , seat covers, carpets, paint the front and rear buffers, do the small touch ups, cut and polish the body... and so on to make the vehicle so called mint condition... actually they make an artificial mint condition :sport-smiley-004:

• 1 month later...

Here now they are advertising ODO adjustments!!!

http://autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=69288

I wonder whether AutoLanka will get into trouble for displaying this offer - is it illegal in Sri Lanka?

the guy who put that advert must be a dumb a$$ only a complete fool will trust that cars odo readings. :sad-smiley-066:

I don't think it's illegal. After all, if someone gets their instrument cluster changed, they would have to get the odo adjusted to read the correct value. There's a thread here on this very topic.