• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Newbie; Wanna Buy A Car For 7-9 Laks; Need Your Help

dedos

Question

Hi Guys,

As my first ever vehicle, the plan is to purchase an economical car with further plans to go for a "better" one in another year or so. I'm quite a newbie, please bear with my "living-under-a-rockness" while I jot down what I've come across as my possible options. I would really appreciate if you guys can help me out here with ANYTHING you can offer as advices.

As I've mentioned above I want to purchase an economical car for around 7-9 lakhs (700,000 - 900,000); the lesser the better. I'd be going for a better car (a relative term BTW ;) ) within another one year after buying this so, yes, aftermarket value is something I'm looking for too. However, the MOST important thing would be whether the car is economical; both in fuel efficiency and spare parts' prices et al.

So far I've considered the following 3 as my options:

Option 1 - Maruti 800 preferably an English number with power steering?

Option 2 - A Charade, Mazda Familia, Ford Festiva, Ford Laser etc. The 17- 18- ones.

Option 3 - A Korean car such as a Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio etc.

I'm a humble guy so I can keep my ego taking over me; meaning I don't actually bother about the prestige as my main goal is to travel economically from place A to B, safely. That should also mean the car wouldn't be giving much repairs, breakdowns and would have a good aftermarket value when I want to go for my next car in an year or so.

Please, share your thoughts and help me make the best possible option. If I've missed out ANYTHING, please feel free to suggest. I believe a quite a few people would benefit from the answers :)

Cheers!

Edited by dedos

You can get the Ford Laser or Mazda 323 for that budget and if your ok to spend around 8.5 you can get a Lancer CB series which is a very good car

PLEASE FORGET ABOUT THE MARUTI

Hi Guys,

As my first ever vehicle, the plan is to purchase an economical car with further plans to go for a "better" one in another year or so. I'm quite a newbie, please bear with my "living-under-a-rockness" while I jot down what I've come across as my possible options. I would really appreciate if you guys can help me out here with ANYTHING you can offer as advices.

As I've mentioned above I want to purchase an economical car for around 7-9 lakhs (700,000 - 900,000); the lesser the better. I'd be going for a better car (a relative term BTW ;) ) within another one year after buying this so, yes, aftermarket value is something I'm looking for too. However, the MOST important thing would be whether the car is economical; both in fuel efficiency and spare parts' prices et al.

Option 2 - A Charade, Mazda Familia, Ford Festiva, Ford Laser etc. The 17- 18- ones.

I'm a humble guy so I can keep my ego taking over me; meaning I don't actually bother about the prestige as my main goal is to travel economically from place A to B, safely. That should also mean the car wouldn't be giving much repairs, breakdowns and would have a good aftermarket value when I want to go for my next car in an year or so.

Please, share your thoughts and help me make the best possible option. If I've missed out ANYTHING, please feel free to suggest. I believe a quite a few people would benefit from the answers :)

Cheers!

Hi Guys,

Cheers!

'dedos',

Is this car going to be your first car. I will advice you to go for Maruti because the spares are cheap and freely available. I use a Maruti new Omni mini Van which is registered as a car due to 800 CC engine this comes with 8 seats, for 30 years have used Japanese.

No A/C, P/S, but it is very easy to handle. I have got a A/C fitted, With A/C I get 8 to 10 KMs per liter town and out of Colombo running. Out of Colombo I manage to get 17.1 KMs for a liter few days back without A/C Driving at 50 KMs on odometer. I have done 4800KMs up to now without any trouble 5 months old bought new from A*W.

Rupees 965000/00. Registration With plates Enhanced number Rupees 10000.00 A/C New cost me rupees 40000.00 extra.

If you go for any other Japanese Vehicle then the vehicle will be more than 15 to 20 years old for your budget you will get a vehicle which has done more than 800000 KMs on the odometer. Engine suspension brakes electrical units have done their best. you will have to spend most of your time in repair shops

Above is my opinion for your Budget and about Maruti Vehicles even the Maruti car is OK Because my Daughter used a Maruit new for 35000 KMs with out any trouble for 5 years, regular service new 4 tires only and sold, went in for a new Mariti Wagon R Vehicle.

I do not condemn any other make of Vehicles.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Since resale is priority you should probably consider an early 90s corolla. As the car is a bit old already and its a toyota the depreciation wont be as much as it would be for a newer car.

DO NOT go for a maruti, its unsafe and uncomfortable. And its gonna depreciate faster, may not be as fast as a Korean car of that price range, but it still will. Plus even if its newer it wont give you the features an early 90s Japanese car would give.

Since you're new to to forum let me give you a small tip. Sylvi has the best of intentions at heart, I have no doubt on that; but I would take his advice with a pinch of salt. Just a few months ago, before he bought his maruti van, he had a Chinese van. He used to swear that the Chinese vehicles were the best value per money and that the Chinese will dominate the automobile industry and everyone should buy Chinese vehicles. And look what he's saying now. :rolleyes: In a few months when his maruti van starts to give out and changes it, he might not be singing the same tune.

Since you have highlighted the fact 'Economical" and affordable spare parts , I would say you go for a Maruti with EPS and you will enjoy for sure.Resale value is high and most importantly , selling the car is just a thought away. Go for it mate dont think twice! Good Luck!

MINIACE

• Like 3

Great responses, thank you all - rman2000, luckey007, Sylvi, Watchman and miniace. So far 3 of you have suggested Maruti 800 while 2 have practically "warned", about it.

Keeping the main questions intact, I'd like to know more about the following:

1 - If I go for an early 90s corolla, Ford Laser, Mazda 323, or Lancer CB (as rman2000 and Watchman have suggested) are their repairs and the frequency of breakdowns are low or similar as compared to a Maruti 800? Are those cars economical compared to a Maruti 800? Considering everything, why Korean cars are disregarded? Would really appreciate if anyone can analyze this.

Thanks again for the advices so far. Please keep more coming as I'm still in a dilemma. :)

P.S. When I finalize the decision through your answers, my plan is to take a well experienced vehicle mechanic guy with me when I go to inspect prospective cars and let him inspect inside-out before I buy it.

Sorry, for the "mega tons of questions" :mellow:

Hi Guys,

Cheers!

You can also consider a grand civic....those things r pretty reliable...comes with ac & ps....Not to forger the Mazda interplay.... both those cars r good options for u

if i may add my opinion on this the Lancer CB series and the Mazdas are very comfortable and the chances of a breakdown are slim if it has been maintained properly,fuel economy wise it will not match the Maruti but apart from it they are smooth and comfortable and the looks are far better than a Maruti,spares available too

I cant comment on the Ford Laser as i dont have any expeience with them

The early 90's Corolla if you can get for the budget (doubtful) is a good option too

Great responses, thank you all - rman2000, luckey007, Sylvi, Watchman and miniace. So far 3 of you have suggested Maruti 800 while 2 have practically "warned", about it.

Keeping the main questions intact, I'd like to know more about the following:

1 - If I go for an early 90s corolla, Ford Laser, Mazda 323, or Lancer CB (as rman2000 and Watchman have suggested) are their repairs and the frequency of breakdowns are low or similar as compared to a Maruti 800? Are those cars economical compared to a Maruti 800? Considering everything, why Korean cars are disregarded? Would really appreciate if anyone can analyze this.

Thanks again for the advices so far. Please keep more coming as I'm still in a dilemma. :)

P.S. When I finalize the decision through your answers, my plan is to take a well experienced vehicle mechanic guy with me when I go to inspect prospective cars and let him inspect inside-out before I buy it.

Sorry, for the "mega tons of questions" :mellow:

Dedos, since this is your first car, you probably haven't experienced this yet. But there is a reason why Japanese cars or even the term "Made in Japan" mean something and are held in high regard. The simplest way to experience this is to get into an early 1990s Toyota Corolla (AE100) in decent nick for a test drive and take a similar test drive on a mid millennia (say 2006) Maruti. I am sure the difference would be obvious.

Many cite fear of frequent break downs, expensive maintenance as reasons for avoiding older cars. But everything depends on the quality of the product and quality of the spares used to maintain it. But break downs on well maintained Japanese cars from even the 1960's is quite few and far apart, so hopefully the point I am trying to make is quite clear. Do not base your decision on the age of the car, but more the construction, the quality and the maintenance record of the car.

Next thing to consider is economy and cost of spares. Schiffer mentions the Astina but spares particularly body parts would have become problem by now. If you are buying a Mazda (they are good cars) or a Ford, aim to get a popular model like BG3P or BG5P from the early 1990s.

The Lancer CBs are good cars as well (my family still owns a Mirage of that genre) but the interior did take a bit of a battering from the elements (in mine quite a lot of the plastics have been changed due to heat deterioration and discolouring. Thankfully I managed to source the parts from scrap yards). But spares are widely available and get a car with the 4G15 engine which is cheaper to maintain as its the more common engine.

For your budget the only Nissan you'll probably get is the HB12, but do see if it can extend to a FB13 and buy a petrol car.

For about 1 million you can get an AE100 which I think is the car that has aged the best particularly if you consider the interior.

The Maruti is an interesting option. What I would probably say is an older Maruti will come with a lot of niggles which will be cheap to resolve but there will be plenty of them :) Considering the problems fellow forum members have had with their brand new Marutis (mostly suspension issues), I'd take a very good mechanic with me if I ever consider buying one. Also be aware the brakes are not very good on the 800 and even on the Alto the suspension is quite stiff.

But with any of these choices make sure you get it well inspected, take a test drive and inspect maintenance records before you buy.

• Like 3

should be possible but can he get a good one that has not been hacked?

also how about parts and stuff? im not quite familiar with this car

well, i think you can. and if im not mistaken it share the same engine as mazda 323

the only issue is body spare parts and that too not impossible if you do a good search :)

You can get the Ford Laser or Mazda 323 for that budget and if your ok to spend around 8.5 you can get a Lancer CB series which is a very good car

PLEASE FORGET ABOUT THE MARUTI

dear friend, by reading through the all forum i too can give you some sujjestion on your requrement with in your 700k-900k budjet.

well if you can go for a Grand civic it will be a very good choice. if you found a well mainatained one

no matter it will not give you much trouble other than the running repeairs.for your budjet

you can go for a corolla AE 91 sprinter or corolla limited one that also a very good

comfortable car.recentlly one of my friend got a 18- one for 800k with 180k clock.

car is in excellnt condition & did 17kmpl with a/c when we did a trip of 350km;s. if so try to

go for a EFI model one.

those are from toyota barand & from nissan you can go for a Trad sunny.

it also a very good comfortable car & doing around 14 to 15 kmpl.second hand value also very much

high & you can have fantasitc ride on it.

while watching on Mr Sylvis feedback maruti also a good choice & you can go for a KA to KC # series one with

low # on clock.

so go for the best option. choice is up to you.....

Good luck friend....

Edited by maheshw

Thanks Chooti Putha, carboy2011, Schiffer, isurunugawela88 and specially The Don - for analyzing everything in detail; it actually added me some great insight.

I spent several hours on AutoLanka.com checking out the above mentioned models and the models I can reach for my budget are Mazda Familia, Ford Festiva and Ford Laser.

Further inputs are much welcome. The search ain't over!!! ;)

Since resale is priority you should probably consider an early 90s corolla. As the car is a bit old already and its a toyota the depreciation wont be as much as it would be for a newer car.

DO NOT go for a maruti, its unsafe and uncomfortable. And its gonna depreciate faster, may not be as fast as a Korean car of that price range, but it still will. Plus even if its newer it wont give you the features an early 90s Japanese car would give.

Since you're new to to forum let me give you a small tip. Sylvi has the best of intentions at heart, I have no doubt on that; but I would take his advice with a pinch of salt. Just a few months ago, before he bought his maruti van, he had a Chinese van. He used to swear that the Chinese vehicles were the best value per money and that the Chinese will dominate the automobile industry and everyone should buy Chinese vehicles. And look what he's saying now. :rolleyes: In a few months when his maruti van starts to give out and changes it, he might not be singing the same tune.

'Watchman',

I never answered you comments for my posts since there was controversy replies by you for my posts.

you are indirectly adding the sentence below to start another unwanted exchange of posts.I hope you will refrain from doing this type posts against me, don't make this thread another sour one, answer to the point.

As this member requested advice I replied for same.I say again don't make this thread another sour one.

You say I would take his advice with a pinch of salt. That is your opinion.

I hope Moderator will take note on this post.

Yes Chinese and Indian Vehicles are cheap for their cost. If any one wants comfort and speed can go in for High cost Vehicles like BMW MB.

You and most members in this forum are aware I am a old school man, with more experience in old automobiles. Not much in new Vehicles (ECU)Ignition systems only.Due to not handling them much till early Year 2000.

I totally lost the new improvements on automobile Engines. Specially in ECU systems since mid 1980.

I deviated from my early profession to a newer technology which is very necessary for newer Vehicles.

I totally lost the new improvements on automobile Engines. Specially in ECU systems since mid 1980 because I was involved in a new project in a foreign land.

Please note that I used a Chinese Vehicle which was developed totally on Maruti Gypsy Vehicle by Chinese, most of the Chinese engine 1300 CC parts was similar to that Maruti Engine. Which was available in our country and I did replace them with Japanese. All brake parts was similar to Nissan parts.

Reason to sell that Chinese vehicle as follows.

Vehicle was borrowed to be used for a wedding was driven by an inexperienced driver hit a motor cyclist large bag covered with black tent which was projecting to the vehicle drivers side which my Vehicle driver did not see in the night. Motor cyclist was carrying his produce in to Hambanthota fair on main road. vehicle ended up with a damage to the right hand side. Vehicle was brought down to Colombo using a breakdown truck.Repairs took more than two months due to delay by the agents of Chana at Walisara.

After I got the vehicle back within few hundred KMs, developed heating up due to Radiator block. There by gasket failed, 4 valves of the engine had to be replaced with engine head refacing.Additional to that brake system failed, due to not overhauling the brake system immediately after the accident repair.I replaced all parts and TANDEM MASTER CYLINDER was taken off totally due to agents did not have the parts, Nissan master cylinder was fixed to the brake Vacuum booster unit as this cylinder fitted exactly with all brake pipes fittings to the new Nissan pump.At the tandem master cylinder end pipes were modified to give brake oil directly to brake cylinders.

The above was the only problem I had in that Vehicle all engine and brake repairs were done by me and my staff.that Vehicle had duel A/C very effective. Please note after all above repairs and modifications were done I used same for another 15000 KMs without any problem. I used every weak end to travel to my land out of Colombo 325KMs up and down.

When one day I visited a Car sale one person requested there to sell the Vehicle I thought this vehicle had met with an a Accident and no point keeping any more and I sold. I never had a idea of selling same.

I cannot Condemn any Chinese Vehicles in Srilanka.Same with Indian Vehicles.No Srilanka can buy Japanese or any other country made, Vehicle of the Chinese or Indian cost.

Any Vehicle can give problems if not for what reason agents have service facility's for cheap and high end high cost Vehicles.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

1- Your in short, your Chinese van hit a "BAG" on a motorcycle (not even the motorcycle itself) and was damaged so bad it needed to be towed back to colombo. Cant even imagine what might happen if it has an accident with a bus.

2- Your brand new van had a blocked radiator, blown gasket and failed master cylinder. These are repairs that I havent even had in my nearly 50 year old 4DR5.

3- Even the agent doesnt have genuine parts for the chinese vehicle. If you're going to fit random japanse parts wouldnt it be better to buy a jap van to begin with?

4- You are an ignorant fool when you say "Yes Chinese and Indian Vehicles are cheap for their cost. If any one wants comfort and speed can go in for High cost Vehicles like BMW MB. or No Srilanka can buy Japanese or any other country made, Vehicle of the Chinese or Indian cost." At the price you buy a brand new chinese car you can buy a 2nd hand BMW/Merc which gives you more of everything than the Chinese. So its not "high cost".

Edited by Watchman

Thanks Chooti Putha, carboy2011, Schiffer, isurunugawela88 and specially The Don - for analyzing everything in detail; it actually added me some great insight.

I spent several hours on AutoLanka.com checking out the above mentioned models and the models I can reach for my budget are Mazda Familia, Ford Festiva and Ford Laser.

Further inputs are much welcome. The search ain't over!!! ;)

The Mazda is a little easier to maintain than the Ford (they are technically the same car) as the body parts are relatively easier to find. But most Fords have the advantage of being purchased brand new in Sri Lanka so might have survived the years better. The Festiva was made in Korea while the Ford laser is made by Mazda in Japan.

Do consider the Toyota Corolla AE90/91, The Grand Civic and the Trad Sunny HB12 even though they are slightly older models because these were very good cars.

The Mazda is a little easier to maintain than the Ford (they are technically the same car) as the body parts are relatively easier to find. But most Fords have the advantage of being purchased brand new in Sri Lanka so might have survived the years better. The Festiva was made in Korea while the Ford laser is made by Mazda in Japan.

Do consider the Toyota Corolla AE90/91, The Grand Civic and the Trad Sunny HB12 even though they are slightly older models because these were very good cars.

Mate, are these "Toyota Corolla AE90/91, The Grand Civic and the Trad Sunny HB12" economical? Can you advice me on their fuel consumption in city limits.

Mate, are these "Toyota Corolla AE90/91, The Grand Civic and the Trad Sunny HB12" economical? Can you advice me on their fuel consumption in city limits.

I have used a B12 some years a go and it did 9-10 km in city driving and I can remembeer it did 14 km out station (Anuradapura- Colombo).At that time it was only 7 years old car and never had any serious issues.

Edited by jaga
  • Like 1

are these "Toyota Corolla AE90/91, The Grand Civic and the Trad Sunny HB12" economical? Can you advice me on their fuel consumption in city limits.

well... Grand Civic would do around 10. (my one has done that much).

Friend of my father is using a Trad Sunny and according to him, it does 11-12 in city limits.

afaik between those cars corolla ae91 will be the most economical it do 10-11 in city limits and the trad sunny do 9-10 in city limits. :)

I had a Ford Laser 1300 18- which I sold at the beginning of this year after using 5 years.

Works around 9-10km/l in city and around 14km/l outside.

Pretty comfortable and a nice ride and did not have any major issues for entire period (serviced every 6 months).

May be spares are bit hard to find cos it took me some time to find a back door which was pretty badly damaged after an accident.