• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Steve Jobs, 1955 - 2011

nato23

FROM WEB NEWS

Steve Jobs honored online and off

October 19th, 2011 in Technology / Other

stevejobswas.jpg

Enlarge

A security officer stands guard as employees construct a veil at a closed Apple store in Washington, DC. Steve Jobs was honored online and off Wednesday as tributes poured into a memorial website set up by Apple and the company's shops closed temporarily for workers to mourn his loss.

Steve Jobs was honored online and off Wednesday as tributes poured into a memorial website set up by Apple and the company's shops closed temporarily for workers to mourn his loss.

Doors were locked and curtains drawn at Apple Stores to allow employees in retail shops to tune into a private ceremony being held in an amphitheater at the company's headquarters in the Northern California city of Cupertino.

Meanwhile, the world was given an online outlet for its grief at a "Remembering Steve" website at apple.com/stevejobs/.

"Over a million people from all over the world have shared their memories, thoughts, and feelings about Steve," a message at the website said.

"One thing they all have in common -- from personal friends to colleagues to owners of Apple products -- is how they've been touched by his passion and creativity."

Comments and condolences received at a [email protected] email address streamed onto the web page.

"I am 17, and growing up watching every keynote presentation by the man in the black turtleneck was foundational to me," one message read.

"His vision has done the better part of defining the Millennial (generation's) lifestyle, and I'm proud to say I am heavily influenced by Apple," the teenager added.

"Everything about the company has inspired my philosophy on technology, and guaranteed Steve Jobs's methods will continue to be a driving force for me until, and beyond the day when I start my first company."

Celebrities and Silicon Valley nobility paid tribute to the revered Apple co-founder on Sunday at a private memorial service held under tight security at Stanford University.

The list of those invited to the memorial for Jobs -- who died on October 5 from cancer at the age of 56 -- reportedly included former US president Bill Clinton along with film and music stars, and founders of top Internet firms.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Let me put it this way. OSX is based on Linux. Linux is based on Unix. No Dennis Ritche means ... ?

Not exactly - it’s a common misconception that Mac OS X derives from Linux. They may look superficially similar but OS X is a descendant of the venerable BSD line of Unix and Mach (the OS kernel that formed part of Jobs’ NeXTSTEP OS).

Not exactly - it's a common misconception that Mac OS X derives from Linux. They may look superficially similar but OS X is a descendant of the venerable BSD line of Unix and Mach (the OS kernel that formed part of Jobs' NeXTSTEP OS).

OK, fine, but still means no the same thing if it comes from a Unix flavour, so the point is still valid.

How about a more direct automotive note?

http://www.zigwheels...jobs-car/9884/1

Now that's a lot better isn't it? :) Too bad Jobs' friends don't have as much taste as he did. :(

Its funny how Mr.Californification brings up hybrids driven by celebs and top figures, if others here posted cars of celebs of whom don't drive hybrids this entire forum will be overloaded.

Edited by The Stig

hapoi...bloody muspainthuwa! thook!

lol !! Apple co-founder or not the bugger's gotta be lacking some life skills if he needs SIX gps units / devices to tell him which turn to take. No wonder Tim Cook is taking over as CEO and not this dude...