• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Steve Jobs, 1955 - 2011

nato23

for games...imho....nothing beats a console.

gotta a 360 and a ps2 to satisfy my gaming needs. only hitch is my consoles are not hacked so gotta run originals

for those ultra rare down times in life with only access to my comp....angry birds keep me entertained :)

Angry birds! I hear good things about it right all the way up from four year olds to serious PhD's types at work who gaze at it in quiet contemplation. A clear home run for Rovio offa that one eh?

The only game I was any good at was 'porsche unleashed' :) Gotta go dig that up sometime; darn good game and it had 'Porsche test driver levels' you could work through, which was quite absorbing I remember...

Edited by Kavvz

You see...even when it comes to consoles he buys the wrong one. :D

heh heh... i like gears, halo so 360 is great for me. wish i had ps3 too for games like GOW and GT :)

what to do machang! too many hobbies and too little money to support all of em

"The Prius in his driveway (pictured left) may be his wife's, although in more recent pictures of his house (found in the below gallery), Laurene Powell Jobs appears to now own an Audi S5." :P

Anyways dont say the magic word too many times or the resident AL prius genie will appear out of a bottle and it aint gonna be pretty.

Isn't it interesting that the marketing machine that is Apple is milking the death of Jobs (people are apparently buying shit "in memory of" :rolleyes:) but a far more important person to the IT field passes and there isn't even a tiny percentage of the attention?

Isn't it interesting that the marketing machine that is Apple is milking the death of Jobs (people are apparently buying shit "in memory of" :rolleyes:) but a far more important person to the IT field passes and there isn't even a tiny percentage of the attention?

Are you referring to the death of Mr Dennis Ritchie ? :)

Father Of C And UNIX, Dennis Ritchie, Passes Away At Age 70

+1. Without Dennis Ritchie's contributions to the world, the world wouldn't be what it is today. Yet, how many people have heard this name?

well... the way i see it.

When Enzo Ferrari died, i bet loads of petrolheads would have reacted in a similar way.

Doesn't mean Enzo was THE man in motoring. He was behind a legendary brand and it's his drive and passion that has made that brand.

Very similar to apple and jobs.

• Like 1

well... the way i see it.

When Enzo Ferrari died, i bet loads of petrolheads would have reacted in a similar way.

Doesn't mean Enzo was THE man in motoring. He was behind a legendary brand and it's his drive and passion that has made that brand.

Very similar to apple and jobs.

True nuff. But I still think the plaudits are more than a little overdone, and calling him the Einstein of our generation was... err... well... I'll be polite and not mention the word.

Besides, a petrolhead would acknowledge the death of a Carl Benz as much as an Enzo Ferrari. The consumer captured by marketing hype might be dazzled by Ferrari and not Benz. Very similar to this situation.

Let me put it this way. OSX is based on Linux. Linux is based on Unix. No Dennis Ritche means ... ?

Well peri cash cows only last for so long, you got to milk it while it lasts.

From an IT point of view Steve might not be a genius but from a marketing point of view he is. See peri it isnt always about what you can make, its about what the customers want you to make.

Steve wasnt the guy behind all the techi stuff but he was the guy who guided the techies in the right direction. A good example is the period where he wanst in apple, Apple didn't suck during that period cause they were technically inferior to others but simply cause they didn't know what to make.

And then comes Steve as the CEO and boom come out the ipod then the iphone and then the ipad .

Apple is solely driven on its reputation for innovation and without jobs its not going to be easy for them to live up to their reputation. A good example is the recent launch of the iphone 4s, Apple had some technical issues and couldn't launch the iphone 5 in time so they launched a buffed up version of the iphone 4. The difference being that if Jobs was there he would not call it the 4s but would have called it iphone 5 anyways since people dont know the real specs of the originally designed iphone 5.

Let me put it this way. OSX is based on Linux. Linux is based on Unix. No Dennis Ritche means ... ?

yep. i do know that. studied programming for an year myself :D

Almost everyone takes the work of somebody else forward and build on it. That's how humanity made progress over all these decades, centuries...

and i do agree with you on calling jobs, einstein of our generation. You'd always have a few fanboys :P

From an IT point of view Steve might not be a genius but from a marketing point of view he is. See peri it isnt always about what you can make, its about what the customers want you to make.

I kinda disagree with this. Its more a case of Apple making something and then creating the need within people to have the product. We never 'needed' the ipod. And we were fine just making calls, sending SMSs and taking an occasional photo with out phones. 3-4 Years ago, we had absolutely no 'need' for an iPad. Its like tempting a kid with candy or a toy and then the kid thinking 'how dull was my life before this candy/toy'.

But yeah, you're entitled to have your opinion on the impact of Apple products, and I have mine :)

• Like 1

PS:

But I do admit the way Jobs' mind works. Leave aside the now viral Stanford speech. For the technology enthusiasts; you should watch his WWDC talk from 1997 and the forum where he and Bill Gates shared a stage at another forum. (warning: they're both VERY long videos) Its just awesome listening to both these guys talk about how they shape themselves to changing time and how they themselves change times. Their passion for their work clearly shows. And that's why every Tom Dick and Harry cant just start a IT company and expect to be a millionaire.

I kinda disagree with this. Its more a case of Apple making something and then creating the need within people to have the product. We never 'needed' the ipod. And we were fine just making calls, sending SMSs and taking an occasional photo with out phones. 3-4 Years ago, we had absolutely no 'need' for an iPad. Its like tempting a kid with candy or a toy and then the kid thinking 'how dull was my life before this candy/toy'.

But yeah, you're entitled to have your opinion on the impact of Apple products, and I have mine :)

Err i also kinda have to disagree too :)

Here is a famous starbuck quotation,

"Customers don’t always know what they want. The decline in coffee-drinking was due to the fact that most of the coffee people bought was stale and they weren’t enjoying it. Once they tasted ours and experienced what we call “the third place”.. a gathering place between home and work where they were treated with respect.. they found we were filling a need they didn’t know they had.

Howard Schultz, Chairman and CEO Starbucks

See there actually was a need for the ipad and the ipod, people just didn't know about it nor did they ask for it directly.People dont want a product itself but buy a product expecting a service offered by the product in return.

For an instance why would you buy a pen ? to write ? but if there was something else that did the exact thing would you really need a pen ? I.E you dont buy a pen for the sake of buying a pen but for the service it delivers which is writing. In the same sense you dont buy an ipad or an ipod for the sake of owning one but for the functions and services you get out of it, the need was there but there was no product to satisfy that need.

"Its like tempting a kid with candy or a toy and then the kid thinking 'how dull was my life before this candy/toy'" - exactly that's the whole point im trying to make, the kid got tempted cause he had a need that didn't come out. Jobs was the man who milked the cow and exploited the opportunity which ideally is what marketing is all about :)

Edited by The Stig

"Its like tempting a kid with candy or a toy and then the kid thinking 'how dull was my life before this candy/toy'" - exactly that's the whole point im trying to make, the kid got tempted cause he had a need that didn't come out. Jobs was the man who milked the cow and exploited the opportunity which ideally is what marketing is all about :)

That sounds more like a product design thing than just marketing. Its not exactly selling ice to an Eskimo. The marketing part comes in - well there were mp3 players before the iPod, and there was products like the Zune after it. Still selling in that setting - That is the marketing part. Just like there were tablets before, and plenty of other tablet choices now, and there are plenty of smartphone choices before and now.

That sounds more like a product design thing than just marketing. Its not exactly selling ice to an Eskimo. The marketing part comes in - well there were mp3 players before the iPod, and there was products like the Zune after it. Still selling in that setting - That is the marketing part. Just like there were tablets before, and plenty of other tablet choices now, and there are plenty of smartphone choices before and now.

Ummm not to argue too much on a irrelevant topic but peri your definition of marketing is a common misconception :)

Marketing is not just selling stuff that already exist, designing something that is marketable is also the job of a marketer. Gone are the days of the sales force who can sell refrigerators to Eskimos, thats an outdated process BTW that sales not entirely marketing.

to quote CIM "Marketing is the management process that identifies, anticipates and satisfies customer requirements profitably"

Today marketing is all about identifying customer needs and making products or services that are marketable, this means marketing is the function that combines Finance,Production and HR together for a common goal and yes it indirectly means marketers tell the production what to make.I.E there were tablets before too but production didn't make the ipad the way it is today cause they could, they made it that way cause they were told by marketers cause that's what potential customers wanted.

Bit of extra reading if you are interested ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marketing

Edited by The Stig

gotta disagree with you on this one mate.

see...you are talking about the stage where apple got themselves into other consumer products like mp3 players and stuff.

I was on apple during the time jobs was out of apple and apple was struggling to keep up with business. Jobs made second headlines with the iMac. After the runaway success if iMacs on things like ipods etc came. In fact the whole I thing started with the imac.

And before the days of iMacs, there were apple computers. Computers with a visual interface when windows operated on command prompt driven systems.

Apple Macintosh was the first computer that was aimed for non-computing people. No more commands but with a GUI and an interesting unit called the mouse as a pointing device.

This truly is apple's legacy, Steve's legacy.

I think it's kinda sad that the new gen people mostly see ipods, ipads and stuff.

People in creative industries have long benefited from apple macs. Those days...apple macs were needed for functionality, not as eye candy

Ask anybody who had been in advertising industry or similar design industry for a long time. They'll tell you exactly how important these little computers were and how it completely changed the way things were done :)

• Like 2

From Web News.

Private tribute to Steve Jobs planned for Sunday

October 15th, 2011 in Technology / Business

Internet royalty have been invited to a memorial to be held for Steve Jobs on Sunday at Stanford University in Silicon Valley.

Apple said the event was private and that even press would not be permitted unless they were on the guest list.

Responses to invitations were reportedly directed to Emerson Collective, a philanthropy founded by the Apple co-founder's wife, Laurene Powell Jobs.

Jobs died in on October 5 at the age of 56 after a years-long battle with cancer. He was buried in a private ceremony at a non-denominational cemetery three days later.

Jobs was also to be honored during an October 19 memorial for Apple employees at the company's headquarters in Cupertino, California.

"We are planning a celebration of Steve's extraordinary life for Apple employees that will take place soon," Apple chief executive Tim Cook said in a statement released the day Jobs died.

Apple has not indicated plans for a public memorial for Jobs, but people have paid tribute to him with flowers, candles, messages and more outside his home, the company headquarters and Apple retail stores around the world.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.