• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Bmw E36 318I/ 320I/ 325I

bavarian

Question

Hi All,

I am looking for a BMW E36 318i/ 320i or a 325i manufactured after 1994 and in mint condition. My budget is 16K and does any of you have or know a bimmer that is for sale that fall in to this category.If so just reply to this thread or PM me as i am badly in search of an E36 ?

yes i agree. but my point is the CONDITION of the 19. the 301- is a 1993–1998 and 19- is a 1993–1995.so the 301 might have been imported in 1998. so i don't think their is a problem with brand new tag unless 301 is a UK where it might have been used their and bought which i don't know.

Firstly "the 301- is a 1993–1998 and 19- is a 1993–1995" this sentence make no sense what so ever.

My point was that the 19- one is probably imported brand new so you will have all service records but since the 301- was used abroad you have no idea what happened to it when it was abroad.

Also you say the number doesn't matter but yet you obsess over the fact that its a 19- one and not a 300- or higher one, you do realize that they are made in the same year right ? So in terms of YOM they are the same but the 301- one gets a better market value solely based on the fact that its number plate is newer which i think is absurd given the fact that the 19- is a 325i and the 301 is only a 318i.

Also if you research closely you will notice that the 301-one doesn't even have leather seats or most of the goodies that the 19- one has.

The smart choice would be to go for the 19- one cause its better value for money and its a 325i and not a 318i. But then again even though you are portraying yourself as a bimmer fan you are only another typical SL car buyer with the same mindset of toyota fan boys, obsessing over a set of numbers which no intelligent person would give a crap about.

P.S I dont know either of the owners of the above mentioned cars nor am i trying to promote either one, im just trying to prove a point.

Edited by The Stig
  • Like 1

looks like you got candy and that sums up it all KIDO and if your hurt why don't you have one coz kids always stop crying once they see some candy.

No need to get all offensive mate... Watchman made a valid point about the number plate thing. Do try and remember that acting like a j***a$$ wont get you very far here...

Edited by Supra_Natural
  • Like 2

If you are trying to go by the number plate and not consider the condition, not the records and history of the vehicle you are better off looking elsewhere. As long as the car has been maintained properly and given all the TLC you should just go for it. Always get an opinion, but other than that don't think twice.

I sold my 325i in February this year, had only a few coming to take a look but the car was sold within two weeks. The people who came were never bothered of the number (18-xxxx)and it was 1992, fully loaded and everything was working and I had a good record of the history and maintenance. Thats all you should be worried about.

I know the previous owner of the E36 and he maintained it well. I don't know the current owner but the car (19-xxxx) is worth a look and due to its rarity it will command a higher price regardless of the year of manufacture and plate.

errr... why am I being dragged in to this? I am confused. You say you have seen my car? Which one? the 323I, 19- or the 523i 300-?

I am confused more about your logic behind this number game. I can show you a 18- BMW 5 Series that will knock the socks off a K plate BMW... :)

i saw an old post related to BMW thread where you have published couple of pix of your 325 or maybe 323 i am not sure but i saw some pix.

i think one stupid member whom i don't want to name is making a total mess about my question and the continuation of that conversation. my point was the condition of the said 19- is not satisfying but the 301- or even the 18- 320 is satisfying.

i saw an old post related to BMW thread where you have published couple of pix of your 325 or maybe 323 i am not sure but i saw some pix.

Wait so you're basing ALL your opinions on photos? :rolleyes: even the ones in the classified?

Dear BMW Owner's club: roll out the red carpets to your (soon to be) newest member!

• Like 1

Firstly "the 301- is a 1993–1998 and 19- is a 1993–1995" this sentence make no sense what so ever.

My point was that the 19- one is probably imported brand new so you will have all service records but since the 301- was used abroad you have no idea what happened to it when it was abroad.

Also you say the number doesn't matter but yet you obsess over the fact that its a 19- one and not a 300- or higher one, you do realize that they are made in the same year right ? So in terms of YOM they are the same but the 301- one gets a better market value solely based on the fact that its number plate is newer which i think is absurd given the fact that the 19- is a 325i and the 301 is only a 318i.

Also if you research closely you will notice that the 301-one doesn't even have leather seats or most of the goodies that the 19- one has.

The smart choice would be to go for the 19- one cause its better value for money and its a 325i and not a 318i. But then again even though you are portraying yourself as a bimmer fan you are only another typical SL car buyer with the same mindset of toyota fan boys, obsessing over a set of numbers which no intelligent person would give a crap about.

P.S I dont know either of the owners of the above mentioned cars nor am i trying to promote either one, im just trying to prove a point.

Hi Stig,

what i also mentioned into your reply was that "i dont know that the 301- was used abroad or not" so that may answer your question. about the number plate matter your also going in the wrong path due to a confustion made by a s****d member in this forum. since it is not nice to mark a car i want go in to detail about any of these cars.

about me portraying my self as a bimmer fan... what i have to tell you is that i am here trying to buy a good bimmer and if you have some intel about owners about to sell one then pass those info nothing else.

i think one stupid member whom i don't want to name is making a total mess about my question and the continuation of that conversation. my point was the condition of the said 19- is not satisfying but the 301- or even the 18- 320 is satisfying.

It was a 323i. 1996, 19- Single owner. However, what I will suggest is that you tun a blind eye to the number up front and loot at the general condition of the car. The reason everyone is getting all 'stupid' on you is because you started off 'stupid' with dumb as statement which I can't even understand enough to retype here.

If you just kept it simple, like, 'Guys can I know what I should pay for a well maintained E36?' You would have got some really good answers.

Basic Rule for E36s in Sri Lanka, Good ones are hard to come by, the ones who are good are not cheap, regardless of engine size or registration number.

Also most of the later numbered ones are from the UK and used and do not have many of the options the brand new older ones had.

Wait so you're basing ALL your opinions on photos? :rolleyes: even the ones in the classified?

Dear BMW Owner's club: roll out the red carpets to your (soon to be) newest member!

grow up Watchman don't try to prove over and over that your a candy licking kido. just reply with info about a car not about the rubbish you eat every day.

Think he is talking about the pics i Put of my 323i on the thread, soon after I bought it. It was never put in the market for sale. Bugatti asked how much and I said my price and he said fine and next day I had no car... :)

It was a 323i. 1996, 19- Single owner. However, what I will suggest is that you tun a blind eye to the number up front and loot at the general condition of the car. The reason everyone is getting all 'stupid' on you is because you started off 'stupid' with dumb as statement which I can't even understand enough to retype here.

If you just kept it simple, like, 'Guys can I know what I should pay for a well maintained E36?' You would have got some really good answers.

Basic Rule for E36s in Sri Lanka, Good ones are hard to come by, the ones who are good are not cheap, regardless of engine size or registration number.

Also most of the later numbered ones are from the UK and used and do not have many of the options the brand new older ones had.

hi VVTi,

well the forum says "ASK AN EXPERT" so even though the question is dumb the experts should have understood and come up with how the value of an E36 is carried out. I mentioned my budget and what models i was looking for and if the experts are not stupid why cant they come up with how the price tag is set for an E36 rather than making a mess out here.

if anybody came up with like you saying "Basic Rule for E36s in Sri Lanka, Good ones are hard to come by, the ones who are good are not cheap, regardless of engine size or registration number. " with some numbers that would have been more informative.

anyway thanks for your info vvti

about me portraying my self as a bimmer fan... what i have to tell you is that i am here trying to buy a good bimmer and if you have some intel about owners about to sell one then pass those info nothing else.

He shouldn't be. That would be advertising, and thats not allowed on the forums.

Edited by Pericles

VVTi, i thought the "EXPERTS" are verifiers like in the current field of computing to avoid the effect of the GIGO principle :) seems like only few run with verifiers.

Why should anyone sift through a mountain dirt someone piles here to look for a coherent question? You want a good answer, post a good clear question.

Hi Guys,

This thread looked quite interesting for me as I'm planning to go for a E36 myself next year.

My favorite bimmer has always been the E39. But eventhough I can do all sorts of financing and afford a good one for about 3-4M, afterwards I may not be able to take care of it the way a BMW lover should, as I will be paying a big chunk on loans / leases.

As a fan of boxy 90s styling, my next best thing is the E36. With this even if i dish out 2.5M I will still be able to pamper the ride and keep it in a mint condition. It may sound stupid to some but when i buy one, i'm planning to use it for a long long time as the primary car (but probably never sell it) and spend any amount of money to keep it or bring it up to the best possible condition.

Also I think it could be fun to get hold of a neglected E36 and build it up to the best possible condition so that you can be proud one day of the effort that you have put in.

So with all this in mind, here are my questions:

1. Can a workshop like Milroys, handle advanced stuff such as overhauls / complete rebuilds for bimmer engines?

2. Will it be possible to source parts such as interior panels, switches etc, to restore the car to the showrrom / best possible condition?

3. What are your ideas on tastful and correct conversions, such as converting to an M3. I believe in keeping the originality of cars but since we can not import a E36 M3 here can a guy dream to feel how it's like to drive one?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

K9M

So with all this in mind, here are my questions:

1. Can a workshop like Milroys, handle advanced stuff such as overhauls / complete rebuilds for bimmer engines?

2. Will it be possible to source parts such as interior panels, switches etc, to restore the car to the showrrom / best possible condition?

3. What are your ideas on tastful and correct conversions, such as converting to an M3. I believe in keeping the originality of cars but since we can not import a E36 M3 here can a guy dream to feel how it's like to drive one?

Excellent mindset. Instead of paying through your nose for a car that has no character, better to go for a older car with a soul and look after it.

1. Milroy is good for replacing a burnt headlight to replacing your piston rings and everything in between. He knows his stuff and he has the stuff to do anything that is needed for any BMW in Sri Lanka. His paint work is excellent. Prices are reasonable, but then recently I found out that Prestige is as competitive.

2, Yes. But get a car in fairly decent nick and you can source the needed parts off Ebay. Plenty of suppliers around who will bring down anything you want for a fee.

3. I am not sure of you can convert to a M3 without dumping a lot of money. from engine to Gearbox to suspension everything must be changed. A cheap M3 badge and will be the quickest and easiest.. ;) You will fool a lot of fanboys. :)

Taste is a personal thing machang. You can get all ghetto on a E36, get all F&F, make it look like a HondaBoy Wet dream or make it look classy enough to turn heads. Look around the many websites there are and choose your balance.

I personally believe an E36 with original trim, with a decent set of alloys, and an excellent paint job with a good wax will be as good as you can make an otherwise excellent car.

I had a E36 323i which I sold to another member here who has done wonders to it and now I own a E39 523i. You can't go wrong with a BMW if you look after it properly.

• Like 3

Excellent mindset. Instead of paying through your nose for a car that has no character, better to go for a older car with a soul and look after it.

1. Milroy is good for replacing a burnt headlight to replacing your piston rings and everything in between. He knows his stuff and he has the stuff to do anything that is needed for any BMW in Sri Lanka. His paint work is excellent. Prices are reasonable, but then recently I found out that Prestige is as competitive.

2, Yes. But get a car in fairly decent nick and you can source the needed parts off Ebay. Plenty of suppliers around who will bring down anything you want for a fee.

3. I am not sure of you can convert to a M3 without dumping a lot of money. from engine to Gearbox to suspension everything must be changed. A cheap M3 badge and will be the quickest and easiest.. ;) You will fool a lot of fanboys. :)

Taste is a personal thing machang. You can get all ghetto on a E36, get all F&F, make it look like a HondaBoy Wet dream or make it look classy enough to turn heads. Look around the many websites there are and choose your balance.

I personally believe an E36 with original trim, with a decent set of alloys, and an excellent paint job with a good wax will be as good as you can make an otherwise excellent car.

I had a E36 323i which I sold to another member here who has done wonders to it and now I own a E39 523i. You can't go wrong with a BMW if you look after it properly.

Hi VVTi,

Thanks for the response.

Answer 1 & 2 gave me the confidence I needed to go forward. Q3 was posted solely driven by the temptation. Deep down I also wish to keep it the same way it was rolled out the assembly line. But I will kill myself before driving a car with a 318i M3 badge. <_<

Your garage has earned a lot of my respect. Its sad to think that i was not in a position to fight for the 323i. If it had been next year i would have engaged in a good bidding war. If you are selling your E39 someday, please drop me a PM. Who knows, by then i may be in a position to buy her and pamper her as well :) . If i had a E36 already, I would have definitely made an offer on the 164 (IF you plan to sell it, still).

Anyway, thanks again for the answers. Will post more questions as I prepare myself to own my first beemer.

Cheers,

K9M.

Edited by k9master

HI K9M

Thats the spirit! If you are interested there is a 318is at Milroys for sale. Its a fully spec car that needs some TLC. If you are looking to convert an E36 to an M3 and considering the cost, this would be an ideal project for you. Once its done and ready to roll, it will sure stand out from the rest.

It mostly needs cosmetic attention, mechanically I think its 90% sound. Worth a check.

Cheers

R

HI K9M

Thats the spirit! If you are interested there is a 318is at Milroys for sale. Its a fully spec car that needs some TLC. If you are looking to convert an E36 to an M3 and considering the cost, this would be an ideal project for you. Once its done and ready to roll, it will sure stand out from the rest.

It mostly needs cosmetic attention, mechanically I think its 90% sound. Worth a check.

Cheers

R

Thanks Rukster and VVTi. Tempting as it may be but for me now is not the right time. I have 4 months left in my current car lease after which I need to sell it. Its in a very good nick mechanically but paint is not in its ideal state so need to get that redone. So it would at least take me another 4-5 months for me to buy an E36.

Plan is to sell my current car, keep the cash stand by, and hunt for a E36 with the intention of buying as soon as you see a good Car in need of some TLC :) .

Edited by k9master