• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Colombo Drag Night Official

Andrew_GTR

Hi - I'm sure it will be fully taken on board in the right spirit. This was the first of these events (OK technically the second as there was an official drag a long time ago), and there's a lot of learning to happen.

Proper Communication (working walkie talkie between start, finish and the paddock would have helped the whole meet run a lot slicker. Winners could then be sent straight back to the start to line up n run again. Agree there was too much time in between sessions but this was a result of bad comms on the day. At the end of the day it's a head to head knockout, so it should be pretty easy to work out the next pair (and then communicate that properly to officials, competitors and spectators).

Yes, a working PA system would help keep spectators and competitors in the loop of what was going on.

Crowd control is a bigger issue, and one that will come into play for the forthcoming night race in Colombo. Cops are really ineffective and any other arrangement will be costly - albeit less than the cost of a life. A number of delays once events started happening were due to the crowd coming way too close to the track.

The only was I guess would be to have some form of a fixed barrier on the LHS (as you drag) in place to keep the crowd safe, and then on the right keep people inside the park. This then needs policing properly .... sadly easier said than done.

Nevertheless a great days racing was had and as you say hopefully the first of many ;-)

Talking about results, the main winner was power-to-weight !! Absolutely stunning launches off the line by both the Blue and White Evo 3's, with the latter winning the open event, taking the GT-R by a couple of inches at the finish line in the finals.. superb day all round... Congrats to everyone for taking part and getting the cars ready!

Edited by virensti

Superb stuff guys it was totally awesome, hope this becomes an annual event :action-smiley-033:

Shame i didnt have enough time to charge my handycam, couple of vids would have been nice :/

I did see some wannabe hippies who are not taking part in the race doing some pathetic displays of wheel spins and handbrake turns, again nothing you guys could have done :)

Edited by The Stig

This is good. The drag community waited years for this legal opportunity. This time I wanna park my car near the "Cop mobile-the white Galant :angry: with no feartongue.gif"

MINIACE

Too bad there was only an Accent and not a Galant. ;) But I hope you got that pic. I didn't see you there.

"to the organizers if you're reading this...

this is purely constructive criticism

Crowd handling wasn't done properly and people were getting chased by the cops from one spot to the other. Our troupe was asked to leave from where were close to summer garden even when were behind the steel railing. We had to cross the road and move into the park and stay in the hot sun with our kids.

Briefly after we were asked to leave from our earlier spot which had access to food and drinks stalls including beer from summer garden, people who came later to the same spot were allowed to stay by our super intelligent coppers.

The PA system that was announcing events cant be heard for the entirety of the track. If you're close to the start line you're fine but even towards the middle, you can't here anything

Races did not start on time and the time between individual events was far too long. Basically lots of time wasted without seeing any action on the track

I'm purely marking these observations when comparing to other racing events that happen around the country. I'm sure since this is the first time this sorta event was held...there will always be issues to be ironed out So hopefully, next year...things will be a lot better.

Great job by all those behind this effort to finally bring drag racing to a more safe arena."

Agree with Ripper t oa certain extent. It felt like a more of participants events and sectors were ignored. All in all it was a great success and expect more of these from the organizers. Cheers

Try quarterly ;) I'm told that is the idea, event every three months.

Even better for us :D

but i doubt if the turnouts will be high like this, ahh who cares yes please !

Members,

I passed that way very early morning was out of Colombo. I saw workers cleaning the road with brushes taking off all small stones, I was not there for the events.

This first drag race in Colombo road so we must allow the organizers to find their mistakes and correct them for the next event.

All A/L members should take interest and help the organizers, to be a well organized event next one in January.

I suggest to organizers have the next event on galle-face road or Marine drive in the night well lighted.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Too bad there was only an Accent and not a Galant. ;) But I hope you got that pic. I didn't see you there.

Hey I was near the starting line during day time (with DD & Grandcivic)and at 'our kind of place' near finish (More fun there) after the dusk.Yeah.. sad the villain Galant was not there.Good overall fun !

MINIACE

Just couldn't believe my eyes when the blue evo smoked the GT-R.Who's evo is that exacty?

What a day.

The blue evo won against the white GT-R.. Blue Evo was being driven by Ashan Silva, but ended up losing against the Titanium Grey GT-R in the Semi's.

Hey I was near the starting line during day time (with DD & Grandcivic)and at 'our kind of place' near finish (More fun there) after the dusk.Yeah.. sad the villain Galant was not there.Good overall fun !

MINIACE

Aiyo, I met both DD and GC at the start line, and I was at the finish for all the final runs! Met a helluva lot of AL boys, MRM, Sharky, Fuzzo, Supra, Devinda, lots of others. I seem to have missed you and Ripper, thats disappointing.

so i am guessing darins GTR took the 4wd drive event.. and i assume Sacha took the open... please enlighten me...

No, Ashan's old white Evo III took the 4wd, tho I think someone else was driving, I heard Missaka. And yes on Sacha. He had trouble all day getting the power down, but I think he found the grip for the finals, came thru like a rocket.

was there at the drags from 9.45 am with my junior. couldn't carry the camera cos i was with my two and a half year old son.

great to see some great cars running there and shockingly the legendary GTR getting its arse kicked.

I left after the white and darin's gtr ran their first races. White GTR lost pretty badly to what looked like an evo 3.

to the organizers if you're reading this...

this is purely constructive criticism

Crowd handling wasn't done properly and people were getting chased by the cops from one spot to the other. Our troupe was asked to leave from where were close to summer garden even when were behind the steel railing. We had to cross the road and move into the park and stay in the hot sun with our kids.

Briefly after we were asked to leave from our earlier spot which had access to food and drinks stalls including beer from summer garden, people who came later to the same spot were allowed to stay by our super intelligent coppers.

The PA system that was announcing events cant be heard for the entirety of the track. If you're close to the start line you're fine but even towards the middle, you can't here anything

Races did not start on time and the time between individual events was far too long. Basically lots of time wasted without seeing any action on the track

I'm purely marking these observations when comparing to other racing events that happen around the country. I'm sure since this is the first time this sorta event was held...there will always be issues to be ironed out :) So hopefully, next year...things will be a lot better.

Great job by all those behind this effort to finally bring drag racing to a more safe arena. :)

Oh man i thought u went home early.....

Aiyo, I met both DD and GC at the start line, and I was at the finish for all the final runs! Met a helluva lot of AL boys, MRM, Sharky, Fuzzo, Supra, Devinda, lots of others. I seem to have missed you and Ripper, thats disappointing.

I think I saw you near the finishing line, where they get timing, looking forward to see the pics you got :)

Edited by shanX