• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Police , Srilanka Police

serialkiller

Hey Guys,

One of my friend got caught by dumb police officer and took his license for not wearing seat belt.

This is happened 1st of October morning.

And Funny thing is his driving 65 - XXXX car.

he clearly said to the officer his not guilty for charge that he mentioning.

But we all know about how SL cops behave.

We all know, how important wear seat belts and etc...

But seriously , Cops have right to amend SL law for there will?

MY question is, can we challenge this in Court?

Edited by serialkiller

I think the first thing your friend should have done was to drive over to the police department and explaint the situation to the OIC. Not sure of the exact laws, but should the law state that only the drivers of english number plates will be affected, then that's it. It's not the police officers job to interpret or modify laws. It's the court's. First think he should do though is to go meet the traffic OIC. There will be less inconvinience than dealing with the courts, hiring lawyers etc.

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

One of my friend got caught by dumb police officer and took his license for not wearing seat belt.

Firstly, if you know how important wearing it is, why didnt you in the first place?

Secondly, have any of you SEEN the gazette notification or the actual 'law' that was passed? If I remember right this law was 'publicized' (I dont use the word 'passed' for a reason). So it is possible that the law that was initially passed didnt exclude the english numbered vehicles, and the cops just decided they wont 'enforce' it on the non-english vehicles. But that doesnt mean ur 65- is legal. Your "friend" is better off paying the fine and this as a lesson rather than fight it in court, dont you think?

Edited by Watchman

Hey Guys,

I say go to town on the cop...thats what i would do.... :violent-smiley-030:

and also Sunday Newspaper article mentioned that Police will give a week's grace period for drivers to get used to the new seat belt rule - DIG Anura Senanayake said.So first police officers must get aware the rules before they enforce the Law ....! :violent-smiley-099:

• Like 1

According to the news the penalty for not wearing the seat belt would be a first conviction fine of not less than Rs.1,000 and not more than Rs.2,000, second conviction fine of not less than Rs.2,000 and not more than Rs.3000 and the third conviction fine of not less than Rs.3,500 and the cancellation of the driving licence.

Cancellation of driving licence? is it permanently?

Also my question here is how will they justify the second and the third convictions? assuming the cop cars are not fully linked and computerized.

I know that they still can do it by the papers but wouldn't it be a complicated task?

Edited by AMG

Firstly, if you know how important wearing it is, why didnt you in the first place?

Secondly, have any of you SEEN the gazette notification or the actual 'law' that was passed? If I remember right this law was 'publicized' (I dont use the word 'passed' for a reason). So it is possible that the law that was initially passed didnt exclude the english numbered vehicles, and the cops just decided they wont 'enforce' it on the non-english vehicles. But that doesnt mean ur 65- is legal. Your "friend" is better off paying the fine and this as a lesson rather than fight it in court, dont you think?

watchman is ritee

well payin the fine and getin this over from its bud is btr off than goin into courts ( fine mayb 1000 plus vat, total will b arnd 1120) if its the court case imagine the lawyer fees , then all that rasthiyadu jazz and then ending up into a rubber case in court , so if i was you , id pay the fine n curse the tat dumb policemen n forget abt the scene.. hehehe

what to do we live in the miracle of asia noh

oh oh nyhow wearin seatbelts is actualy is a gud thing , so fasten it when ever you drive mate ;)

No, Personally don't think so mate. he don't have to pay the fine, because he didn't do anything wrong according to the law.( Law, Which they trying to charge him)

http://www.mediafire.com/?sc2jzvn84w7g7yb

http://www.mediafire.com/?7xv2yt138z1fpoh

again, We all know how important wearing seat belt etc...

but "question is do these people can alter the law for there will"

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

On 1st October when I came to town hall without belts on, I was stopped by a cop. He just warned not to drive without belts on. Also he clearly said that they have been asked to warn drivers without belts this week and they have been requested to charge only from next week. Probably your Cop made a mistake. Also most of media very clearly indicated that the law is only for vehicles with english numbers.

Last friday at about 3.00 A.M. we were stopped by a "gramarakshaka" who had a PC guy behing for overtaking on the pedestrian crossing at Wadduwa. The police guy was furious and asked for the licence, which we didnt give. Instead we asked for the option of paying the fine on the spot. He told us that he will settle on a fine but it was a case to be sent to courts., but based on humantarian issues he would do us a favour by taking the fine.

He did not wear the white belt accross his uniform nither he had a traffic bike. I wonder how he issued a charge sheet since I could see his pocket note book only.

Any way we did some thing wrong and paid the "fine" but I still belive these two guys were on some petrol duty and making a fortune out of the uniform.

English plated numbers or not, within the given grace period or not just wear the seat belts guys.. it’s for your OWN safety and nothing else, at the end of the day it’s you who would have to pay the penalty in case if you happened to face an accident while not buckled up.. Frankly cops would not have to use this as a law if everyone value their life and wear the seat belt every-time...

Edited by Simplelife
  • Like 1

No, Personally don't think so mate. he don't have to pay the fine, because he didn't do anything wrong according to the law.( Law, Which they trying to charge him)

I'm not talking of the legal aspect. If you KNOW that its important why don't you just wear it? Its like you saying that you KNOW that you shouldnt out your finger into a rotating fan, and then crying that the fan black was accessible to your finger.

From a legal aspect, before you act all big shot take a look at the actual legislation on the English number issue and the grace period issue. The cops' informal leniency is NOT the same as a legal exception.

Frankly some battles are just not worth fighting; especially ones like this where you look like an ass in the end! :)

Don't think anyone would dispute that buddy, but is it worth his time, money and aggravation to fight for this principle and 1000 bucks? If he has the time, then fine, we'll cheer all the way for the fight against corruption, but thats it. If it was me, I'd have just paid to avoid the hassle. Actually if it was me, and the car had working belts, I'd be wearing them, but if hypothetically I wasn't, I'd just pay.

I'm not talking of the legal aspect. If you KNOW that its important why don't you just wear it? Its like you saying that you KNOW that you shouldnt out your finger into a rotating fan, and then crying that the fan black was accessible to your finger.

From a legal aspect, before you act all big shot take a look at the actual legislation on the English number issue and the grace period issue. The cops' informal leniency is NOT the same as a legal exception.

Frankly some battles are just not worth fighting; especially ones like this where you look like an ass in the end! :)

Useless reprimanding this dude for another persons actions, D.

Edited by Pericles

The ones who are protesting vehemently over the SL police enforcing the Seat Belt rule normally wear their seat belts like little pussycats in other countries... :)

mehe thamai okkoma pada show... sudda kiwwama 'yes sir' kiyala Belt eke oluweth daa gannawa.

Mee harak

The seat belt is there to protect your own life. No one should have to ENFORCE it.

If you don't want to use it, then keep paying the fine until your license is cancelled and then take the bloody bus.

• Like 3

Agreed.

And My friend went to the police station few minutes ago and collected his license.

Luckily there is higher rank officer and he admitted that they made a mistake and asked Trafic OIC to hand over the license.

And gave clear instruction to him regarding the law.

So all good now.

So guys remember " wear your seat belts if there is any, don't care about the vehicle number."

Last friday at about 3.00 A.M. we were stopped by a "gramarakshaka" who had a PC guy behing for overtaking on the pedestrian crossing at Wadduwa. The police guy was furious and asked for the licence, which we didnt give. Instead we asked for the option of paying the fine on the spot. He told us that he will settle on a fine but it was a case to be sent to courts., but based on humantarian issues he would do us a favour by taking the fine.

He did not wear the white belt accross his uniform nither he had a traffic bike. I wonder how he issued a charge sheet since I could see his pocket note book only.

Any way we did some thing wrong and paid the "fine" but I still belive these two guys were on some petrol duty and making a fortune out of the uniform.

Well of course the cop took you guys for a ride. If you noticed the cop wasn't wearing the uniform of a traffic policeman and didn't have the authority to write you up for a traffic offence then why on earth did you hand him money? Knowing that he couldn't do anything and was just posturing; why didn't you guys tell him to go ahead and write you up or refer it to court? I mean at the end of the day all he could do was bitch a bit and let you guys go, right?

The ones who are protesting vehemently over the SL police enforcing the Seat Belt rule normally wear their seat belts like little pussycats in other countries... :)

mehe thamai okkoma pada show... sudda kiwwama 'yes sir' kiyala Belt eke oluweth daa gannawa.

Mee harak

The seat belt is there to protect your own life. No one should have to ENFORCE it.

If you don't want to use it, then keep paying the fine until your license is cancelled and then take the bloody bus.

Two thumbs up !

Agreed.

And My friend went to the police station few minutes ago and collected his license.

Luckily there is higher rank officer and he admitted that they made a mistake and asked Trafic OIC to hand over the license.

And gave clear instruction to him regarding the law.

So all good now.

So guys remember " wear your seat belts if there is any, don't care about the vehicle number."

Good on him

And i would completely disagree with the view of seniors here.

Safety aspect of wearing a seat belt is not the issue here.

all media outlets including government media announced that the law is applicable only for english plated vehicles.

So it's pretty darn obvious the cop was trying to be a j***a$$ and abuse his authority. Nothing new to many people who drive in SL on a daily basis.

After having seen hundreds of cussard cops in my life... i dont see why people have to take this kinda behavior from any police officer.

If you haven't broken the law you have every bloody right contest it. And i would say it's great wehn people contest it even after taking the challenge on and going through the hassle. If everybody start taking things lying down when they are not at fault, how can this sorta issues be ever fixed???

It's irrelevant how things happen in other countries cos this aint another country and we are not aliens here. The cops are there thanks to our taxes and at no point we should tolerate them taking and twisting the law to their liking.

• Like 9

Good on him

And i would completely disagree with the view of seniors here.

Safety aspect of wearing a seat belt is not the issue here.

all media outlets including government media announced that the law is applicable only for english plated vehicles.

So it's pretty darn obvious the cop was trying to be a j***a$ and abuse his authority. Nothing new to many people who drive in SL on a daily basis.

After having seen hundreds of cussard cops in my life... i dont see why people have to take this kinda behavior from any police officer.

If you haven't broken the law you have every bloody right contest it. And i would say it's great wehn people contest it even after taking the challenge on and going through the hassle. If everybody start taking things lying down when they are not at fault, how can this sorta issues be ever fixed???

It's irrelevant how things happen in other countries cos this aint another country and we are not aliens here. The cops are there thanks to our taxes and at no point we should tolerate them taking and twisting the law to their liking.

1++ Bro.

Good thing my car wouldnt let me drive at least 5 meteres without sounding that horrible, pain in the arse, beep when not wearing seat belts.

Hihi... But now its like an agels whisper... I love that beep soooooooooooooo much.... cant imagine what I would do without it... ROFL

Believe it or not some people here put the seat-belt on an empty seat and sit on it just to stop the noise :lol: