• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Electronic Ignition Conversion Kits

Shock

Question

12 answers to this question

Hi guys,

Are electronic ignition conversion kits similar to these available in Sri Lanka?

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/08/ESpark/

Also if available how do you select the correct one...prob take the points set to the dealer?

Thanks

'Shock',

Can you inform for what vehicle you want to fix this unit.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'Shock',

Can you inform for what vehicle you want to fix this unit.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I'm thinking of fixing something like this to a corolla EE96 with the 1.3L 2E engine. I know these engines came with electronic ignition. But mine has contact points. Either it was converted to contact points cos the electronics unit failed or some came with the contact points....

The problem is the existing point mounting plate (it has vacuum advance mechanism) and the cam has worn so that the points gap and the exact point they open cannot be set properly. Also the timing will also vary slightly as the cam rotates.

I do have the option of sourcing the original unit (has to be the whole thing the housing and all as the existing one is different) but I was told finding one would be difficult and would cost around 15k.

Other option is to go for something like this conversion kit I have mentioned which should give the same sort of benefits. Plus it would be a easy fix and may cost less as well (hopefully).

I'm thinking of fixing something like this to a corolla EE96 with the 1.3L 2E engine. I know these engines came with electronic ignition. But mine has contact points. Either it was converted to contact points cos the electronics unit failed or some came with the contact points....

The problem is the existing point mounting plate (it has vacuum advance mechanism) and the cam has worn so that the points gap and the exact point they open cannot be set properly. Also the timing will also vary slightly as the cam rotates.

I do have the option of sourcing the original unit (has to be the whole thing the housing and all as the existing one is different) but I was told finding one would be difficult and would cost around 15k.

Other option is to go for something like this conversion kit I have mentioned which should give the same sort of benefits. Plus it would be a easy fix and may cost less as well (hopefully).

'Shock',

This is possible but you may have to modify The existing unit I think can be repaired where do you have your car.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'Shock',

This is possible but you may have to modify The existing unit I think can be repaired where do you have your car.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks Sylvi for your response.

We are in Depanama right now. Do you know any body who can do the repair close by? Also if the kits are available where can I buy them?

Thanks Sylvi for your response.

We are in Depanama right now. Do you know any body who can do the repair close by? Also if the kits are available where can I buy them?

'Shock',

Can you get in contact with me by Email will try to help you.It is at pannipitiya < [email protected] >

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

buy a megajolt ecu.

it is the ignition only version of a megasquirt, you can buy it pre built or as a kit and you build it yourself.

its used a ford EDIS ingition module and can me programmed for any configuration of engine using a trigger wheel on the crank and a coil pack usign a 3d ignition map.

http://www.autosportlabs.net/MegaJolt_Lite_Jr.

buy a megajolt ecu.

it is the ignition only version of a megasquirt, you can buy it pre built or as a kit and you build it yourself.

its used a ford EDIS ingition module and can me programmed for any configuration of engine using a trigger wheel on the crank and a coil pack usign a 3d ignition map.

http://www.autosportlabs.net/MegaJolt_Lite_Jr.

'fonfe',

This is suitable according to the web site for Ignition system, what will be the cost of same, have you fitted any of this type of units into any Automobiles in srilanka,if so it is good to share the performance with others.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

I emailed this Party who deals with this product and they reply as follows.

*****************************************************************************************************************

Date: 10/10/2011 7:44:50 AM

To: S. Wijesinghe

Subject: Re: Enquiry from Autosport Labs

Hello,

You can purchase the Megajolt unit here:

http://www.autosportlabs.com/featured/www.autosportlabs.com/megajolt-lite-p-41.html?mjlj_buy_now=

We ship worldwide via USPS Priority Mail International, with tracking number.

Thank you for your interest, please let us know if we can help further-

Sales Team

Autosport Labs

Technology for Race and Street

autosportlabs.com | twitter.com/AutosportLabs

On 10/09/2011 06:59 PM, S. Wijesinghe wrote:

Interested in importing one unit MEGAJOLT for 4 cylinder Japanese built car engine can you quote CIF Srilanka by UPS.

Sylvester.

********************************************************************************************************************

Please log into the web page then you will get the cost of same. According to my calculation this unit will be around with UPS shipping and duty under Rupees 40000.00.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'sylvi'

no sorry never fitted one to a car in lanka only in england when i used to work on a dyno back in the uk.

in the uk they are mostly used when people are converting an efi engine to big carbs like twin 40 webbers etc and there is no where for a distributer because its a modern engine designed with ecu controlled ignition.

it is a very simple system though, you just need to get the ecu, a coil pack, trigger wheel and a crank sensor. these can all be found via ebay in the uk by searching for megajolt or megasquirt:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=megasquirt&_sacat=See-All-Categories

just make yourself some "det cans" (old pair of ear mufflers with rubber pipes to a copper tube bolted to the top of the cylinder head) so that you can hear any pre detenation when mapping the ignition and you will be fine.

advance the timing untill the engine just starts to det then go back a touch and you will be ok.

do NOT map when raining though as the extra moisture in the air will act in a similar way to water injection so will allow faster ignition timing that will cause fatal detenation on a non rainy hot day.

sorry for the late reply by the way ive only just arrived back in lanka and havent got the internet at home at the moment.

'sylvi'

no sorry never fitted one to a car in lanka only in england when i used to work on a dyno back in the uk.

in the uk they are mostly used when people are converting an efi engine to big carbs like twin 40 webbers etc and there is no where for a distributer because its a modern engine designed with ecu controlled ignition.

it is a very simple system though, you just need to get the ecu, a coil pack, trigger wheel and a crank sensor. these can all be found via ebay in the uk by searching for megajolt or megasquirt:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=megasquirt&_sacat=See-All-Categories

just make yourself some "det cans" (old pair of ear mufflers with rubber pipes to a copper tube bolted to the top of the cylinder head) so that you can hear any pre detenation when mapping the ignition and you will be fine.

advance the timing untill the engine just starts to det then go back a touch and you will be ok.

do NOT map when raining though as the extra moisture in the air will act in a similar way to water injection so will allow faster ignition timing that will cause fatal detenation on a non rainy hot day.

sorry for the late reply by the way ive only just arrived back in lanka and havent got the internet at home at the moment.

fonfe,

That is OK thanks for your reply.

I will go through the web and if I have any questions will come back to you.

What is the performance after fitting of same unit and Carburetor on a new system to ECU fitted engine. as we have plenty of old cars still in Srilanka.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Performance gains vary depending on engine.

What you need to remember is that when a manufacture builds a car they are looking for the best averages from noise, power, economy and driveability so to make an engine quieter they will sacrifice some performance gains to increase gains in other areas by making things like the inlet manifold and filtration system more restrictive. I.e. a naturally aspirated rally car isn’t very nice to drive in stop start traffic due to the power band but it has good power and is very loud!

The main gain you will have from individual carbs such as twin 40 Webbers is that each cylinder is getting its own carb so it can flow more air and fuel into the cylinder. People do the same thing with fitting individual throttle bodies but this requires a more expensive aftermarket ecu that will control the fuelling as well as the ignition. (Mega squirt is the big brother magajolt equivalent and is the cheapest standalone ecu on the market today) the gain you will have from being able to control your ignition is that you can make the timing faster to gain more power and you can adjust it to suit any other modifications you do to the engine such as better flowing exhaust manifold and system, a wilder camshaft etc.

typical gain to be had from fitting individual carbs and a standalone ignition ecu is 10% minimum providing the ignition mapping is done correctly and the carbs are jetted to suit...over fuelling will lose power, under fuelling will also lose power it has to be just right.