• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Replacing Motor Mounts Vs Repairing Them

MiraOwner

Question

Hi All,

I'm having issues in the car with regards to motor mounts (engine mounts),

when accelerating and letting go of the gas pedal there is a thud and when there are more passengers the car tends to vibrate alot,

i have identified that the mounts are pretty bad (previous owners have plugged in some nails to the mount to help clear the gaps )

i have checked with the genuine parts dealers and for all three it would set me back around 30K, where as the garage mechanic suggested to remove the rubber bush and get them replaced with new one's (from panchi, apparently they do that there) which would cost me lot less.

So my question is should i go for brand new? or should i go with replacing the rubber? will i end up paying again for the new ones? has anyone here replaced rubber only and had good results?

Thanks in advance!

5 answers to this question

You should probably just get new mounts. Since the mounts are a vital component I would not try to cheap out on it only to find out it would need to be done again in a few thousand more KMs. Look at the bright side; all three mounts on your vehicle cost a lot less than a single mount on mine.

• Like 2

Hi All,

I'm having issues in the car with regards to motor mounts (engine mounts),

when accelerating and letting go of the gas pedal there is a thud and when there are more passengers the car tends to vibrate alot,

i have identified that the mounts are pretty bad (previous owners have plugged in some nails to the mount to help clear the gaps )

i have checked with the genuine parts dealers and for all three it would set me back around 30K, where as the garage mechanic suggested to remove the rubber bush and get them replaced with new one's (from panchi, apparently they do that there) which would cost me lot less.

So my question is should i go for brand new? or should i go with replacing the rubber? will i end up paying again for the new ones? has anyone here replaced rubber only and had good results?

Thanks in advance!

'MiraOwner',

Specially when you discuss about engine mounts, you should replace them with imported mounts if it is available. Do not believe the Panchikawathe men who do rubber bushes and mechanics they will do temporary repair.

If not you can get them molded by some one but the life time of them is not sure. Used to modify and mold during era 1962 to 1980 the time we did not have free import of spares.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

if your going to import new ones i would see if you can get uprated ones from a company like vibratechnics. these will be heavy duty for high power conversions so you will last more than double the amount of time than a stock replacement ones if being used on a stock powered engine. the only downside is that you will experience a slight increase in vibration over stock mounts.

i replaced 2 sets of stock gearbox mounts on an old car i had that was only 150bhp fwd, changed to vibratechnics mounts and never replaced since, i put up with the slight vibration as its only when at idle in traffic etc. choice is up to you mate