• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mitsubish Montero Convert

AWESOME

Hi,

I have Mitsubish Montero Super Exceed 2002 petrol 3500cc KC english number Jeep Triptronic . I want to convet it to diesel. what shoud i need to buy. please post what i need for Convert.

Thanks

Edited by Pericles
Please don't write with eye-straining colors. This is not kindergarten.

am i the only one who still says "tip-tronic"? isn't it named after the fact that you "tip" the gear to and fro to change? goodness the HITad is like an epidemic. one mistake there and the whole country follows suit. what's next? nishan petrols? toyata hy-brides? puh-leeze!

@awesome: nothing against you mate. its a common misconception. i guess selling this and buying a diesel montero is out of the question for you. but you'll have to invest a fair amount of money for the conversion, not to mention the hassle of getting papers changed etc etc. apart from what thilakR said which is quite true, if you think about it :D) you'll need a few more parts, and its a bit of a hassle.

Edited by Komisiripala

Hi their,

You can buy a completed original diesel kit for the montero . its the 4m41 3.2 DID kit.this comes with the engine and gear box , computer boxes , wire harness ,silencer kit,cluster meter,diesel tank , basically a entire montero with out the body and will cost u around 1.2million. Hope this helps .i have seen a few done and its good as original bec its just a plug in original kit and has no difference from a original montero.i have seen one on the AL classifieds for sale in this site.

Hi their,

You can buy a completed original diesel kit for the montero . its the 4m41 3.2 DID kit.this comes with the engine and gear box , computer boxes , wire harness ,silencer kit,cluster meter,diesel tank , basically a entire montero with out the body and will cost u around 1.2million. Hope this helps .i have seen a few done and its good as original bec its just a plug in original kit and has no difference from a original montero.i have seen one on the AL classifieds for sale in this site.

hi,

thank you for details. Abbas can i have parts no these. because im going to import completed kit from england.

plus ECU, vacuum tanks, Meter panel, then the hassle of changing the papers and the vehicle becoming a 'converted' vehicle, losing market value in a flash. :)

i dont want to sell VVTi. i have montero & prado both petrol but montero petrol..Oh not good for use in srilanka.. 3L per 1KM :(

1ltr 3KM my bad sorry watchman :( when i switch on dual ac its goes to 2KM :(

Dude 3kmpl is fuel figures of a hummer which weigh about twice as your montero.

There is something seriously wrong with your engine, get it checked before trying to convert it to diesel. After repairs if the results are satisfactory you can keep the petrol engine and save the added cost of converting it to diesel.

Edited by The Stig

Dude 3kmpl is fuel figures of a hummer which weigh about twice as your montero.

There is something seriously wrong with your engine, get it checked before trying to convert it to diesel. After repairs if the results are satisfactory you can keep the petrol engine and save the added cost of converting it to diesel.

ya but i will not going to repair cuz im going to convert this jeep to diesel as soon as possible

ya but i will not going to repair cuz im going to convert this jeep to diesel as soon as possible

Im saying it might actually be cheaper to fix your petrol engine and run with it than to install a new diesel engine. Sure you will save from the fuel costs of a diesel but when you consider the investment on the engine and other parts i would say it would take a couple of years for your diesel to match the value of your current setup. Anyway its your choice :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1ltr 3KM my bad sorry watchman :( when i switch on dual ac its goes to 2KM :(

This should be doing about 5kmpl

Plug it up and check it and u'll see something is terribly wrong,

but it won't cost much, this could be a basic issue,

Might need to clean injectors, do a tune up, ect.......

It'll be worth spending some money and saving the original condition of u'r vehicle than going for an engine transplant, wich if gone wrong will make u'r vehicle a lemon, and definitely decrease the market value even if done properly.

BTW it is upto u to decide but if i were u I'd keep the original engine with some repair

• Like 1

had experience with two exceed's. both did 5.7 - 6kmpl as per trip computer. cruising on GDI eco it goes up to 8-12kmpl on long distance hauls. which, for an SUV that size, is very decent.

i too advocate getting your systems checked. probably might cost a lot less on the long term and initial investment than a diesel convert. don't forget you bring in a whole new dimension of noise and low frequency vibration also with a diesel engine

• Like 2

Im saying it might actually be cheaper to fix your petrol engine and run with it than to install a new diesel engine. Sure you will save from the fuel costs of a diesel but when you consider the investment on the engine and other parts i would say it would take a couple of years for your diesel to match the value of your current setup. Anyway its your choice :rolleyes:

The Stig thnx for replyn.. but diesel cheaper in srilanka :P by da way im in England. so i can get very low price diesel engine parts.. im not going to buy any part frm srilanka..

had experience with two exceed's. both did 5.7 - 6kmpl as per trip computer. cruising on GDI eco it goes up to 8-12kmpl on long distance hauls. which, for an SUV that size, is very decent.

i too advocate getting your systems checked. probably might cost a lot less on the long term and initial investment than a diesel convert. don't forget you bring in a whole new dimension of noise and low frequency vibration also with a diesel engine

Komisiripala thnx for replyn... Lol i have montero + Prado 150 new i fedup wid montero... never do montero 8Kmpl when i driven outside colombo montero max 6kmpl :o .Prado did 12Kmpl colombo to anuradhapura. colombo area hell no i service montero before i come to england. Company maintained jeep. :( 6kmpl dream when im driving :) i think you driving 60Km/h thts why 6Kmpl :( ... how ever im not telling Montero bad. how ever for srilanka diesel better i think :)

This should be doing about 5kmpl

Plug it up and check it and u'll see something is terribly wrong,

but it won't cost much, this could be a basic issue,

Might need to clean injectors, do a tune up, ect.......

It'll be worth spending some money and saving the original condition of u'r vehicle than going for an engine transplant, wich if gone wrong will make u'r vehicle a lemon, and definitely decrease the market value even if done properly.

BTW it is upto u to decide but if i were u I'd keep the original engine with some repair

Toyota sucks thnx for replyn.. how ever both jeeps mine company maintain. i contact Unit#d Mot#rs twice.. they say nt da problem with jeep.. lol problem with driver... now im going to convert it to diesel.. bcuz its cheap.. i can get full kit frm england day before day i checked £3000. if i buy those frm srilanka it will cose over £8000..

The Stig thnx for replyn.. but diesel cheaper in srilanka :P by da way im in England. so i can get very low price diesel engine parts.. im not going to buy any part frm srilanka..

And how do you imagine those parts are going to get to Sri Lanka? Are you going to carry the entire conversion kit in your hand luggage?

I suppose you've forgotten that there is such a thing as Customs duty charged on vehicle parts, especially in the quantities you're thinking of...

First and foremost, get your Montero checked out properly. We have one and it does 5 Km/l in town easily, with dual ac on.

I know diesel is cheaper :rolleyes:

Jeeez, fine ill do the math for you

Cost of importing = 3000£

Cost with taxes ( assumption of 30% tax)= 3900£

Cost in Rupees = 3900 x 175 = Rs 682500

Cost of installing = 75000

Total cost of the project = 757500 /=

Okay so lets assume the diesel does about 8Kmpl

And lets assume that you dont do any engine modification or repair to your current petrol engine, so ideally as you stated it would be around 3kmpl.

Cost for 1 km with the petrol engine = 125/3 = Rs 41

Cost for 1 km with the diesel engine = 76/8 = Rs 9.5

Difference in cost per 1 km = 41-9.5 = 31.5 rs

so lets see how many km you have to drive to equal the cost of keeping the petrol = 757500/31.5 = 24047.6 km

So you would have to drive 24047 km to equal the cost

An average person drives about 30 km a day

how many days to drive to equal the cost = 24047/30 = 801 days

Years to equal the cost = 801/365 = 2.19

So ideally you have to drive 2.19 years contentiously in your monetero before you save any money. And given the fact that you say you have other vehicles i highly doubt you will drive the monetero all the time, so ideally you will have to wait about 3-4 year for you to actually notice any save !

Complicated math for you ? in short simple English "its not worth it" !

BTW i got to ask, what kind of company lets their employees modify their company owned vehicles ? :huh:

Also if you live in England ( which you have mentioned) why would you even care about a vehicle in SL and its fuel economy ?

• Like 3

I know diesel is cheaper :rolleyes:

Jeeez, fine ill do the math for you

Cost of importing = 3000£

Cost with taxes ( assumption of 30% tax)= 3900£

Cost in Rupees = 3900 x 175 = Rs 682500

Cost of installing = 75000

Total cost of the project = 757500 /=

Okay so lets assume the diesel does about 8Kmpl

And lets assume that you dont do any engine modification or repair to your current petrol engine, so ideally as you stated it would be around 3kmpl.

Cost for 1 km with the petrol engine = 125/3 = Rs 41

Cost for 1 km with the diesel engine = 76/8 = Rs 9.5

Difference in cost per 1 km = 41-9.5 = 31.5 rs

so lets see how many km you have to drive to equal the cost of keeping the petrol = 757500/31.5 = 24047.6 km

So you would have to drive 24047 km to equal the cost

An average person drives about 30 km a day

how many days to drive to equal the cost = 24047/30 = 801 days

Years to equal the cost = 801/365 = 2.19

So ideally you have to drive 2.19 years contentiously in your monetero before you save any money. And given the fact that you say you have other vehicles i highly doubt you will drive the monetero all the time, so ideally you will have to wait about 3-4 year for you to actually notice any save !

Complicated math for you ? in short simple English "its not worth it" !

BTW i got to ask, what kind of company lets their employees modify their company owned vehicles ? :huh:

Also if you live in England ( which you have mentioned) why would you even care about a vehicle in SL and its fuel economy ?

Dont forget the reduction in resale value once the convertion is done

Dont forget the reduction in resale value once the convertion is done

Ummmm if its company maintained he doesn't own it so he doesn't need to worry about resale value unless the company is his. Anyway he wasnt very specific if the vehicles are company maintained in which case he is an employee of the company or if the vehicles actually belong to the company that he owns.

Edited by The Stig

Ummmm if its company maintained he doesn't own it so he doesn't need to worry about resale value unless the company is his :rolleyes:

Which bring me back to my previous question, what sort of company lets its employees do large scale modifications to their company vehicles :blink:

Like you said, maybe the company is his :)

Ummmm if its company maintained he doesn't own it so he doesn't need to worry about resale value unless the company is his. Anyway he wasnt very specific if the vehicles are company maintained in which case he is an employee of the company or if the vehicles actually belong to the company that he owns.

I think by "company maintained" he meant it was maintained by unimo.

Edited by jdnet

And how do you imagine those parts are going to get to Sri Lanka? Are you going to carry the entire conversion kit in your hand luggage?

I suppose you've forgotten that there is such a thing as Customs duty charged on vehicle parts, especially in the quantities you're thinking of...

First and foremost, get your Montero checked out properly. We have one and it does 5 Km/l in town easily, with dual ac on.

if u hve contacts.. that one not a problem ;)