• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Vitz 2008 Starting Problem

Tiran

I have newly purchased TOYOTA Vitz 2008,F-grade, 1000cc was unregistered. Suddenly got a problem when starting sometimes it doesn't start at the first time. After I did fuel system cleaning through a mechanic who can do that type of fuel system. His recommendation also was it may cause from the fuel in Sri lanka even I have been use 95 octane.

After the fuel system cleaning it doesn't start always by first time again I have do to it for second time immediately. When I stopped the engine and did start within a minute time it can start by first time. I change the battery too but still the same. Does anyone know about this issue??? Please help.

I think if you've been using the 95 octane you would've been safe. Don't worry, I don't think it is your battery, but please tell us more about this difficulty to start, for example:

1. is it every time you try to start? Or some times? When?

2. when you switch it to on, before it fails to start, have you heard the fuel pump hum?

3. is it always on the second crank that it starts?

Also I'd like to know

1. Have you serviced the car recently? What did you get done?

2. What is the mileage? Have you done a tune up? Have you got the spark plugs checked/changed recently?

Fret not! Your problem has a solution!

I think if you've been using the 95 octane you would've been safe. Don't worry, I don't think it is your battery, but please tell us more about this difficulty to start, for example:

1. is it every time you try to start? Or some times? When?

2. when you switch it to on, before it fails to start, have you heard the fuel pump hum?

3. is it always on the second crank that it starts?

Also I'd like to know

1. Have you serviced the car recently? What did you get done?

2. What is the mileage? Have you done a tune up? Have you got the spark plugs checked/changed recently?

Fret not! Your problem has a solution!

Thanks for your reply buddy,

1. It’s always same but except if I crank just engine off.

2. No idea to recognize but no unusual hum.

3. Now always starts with 2nd crank. But never happen to try for 3rd time.

I did the service at 57000km, changed the oil filter and used Toyota engine oil didn’t change air filter by instructions. And change the CVT oil same time. It wasn’t frequently happened to 2nd crank but sometimes very rarely was needed to do.

Since the car is new I thought this shouldn’t happened so I meet an engineer his advices was one plug doesn’t work properly out of three and it is the reason to engine vibration. So he did the fuel system cleanup with tune up to solve the issue, since that always I have to do 2nd crank to start the car. His explanation was due to bad fuel in Sri Lanka injectors doesn’t work properly and recommended to replace the injectors.

But I didn’t get any check light.

Thanks for your reply buddy,

1. It’s always same but except if I crank just engine off.

2. No idea to recognize but no unusual hum.

3. Now always starts with 2nd crank. But never happen to try for 3rd time.

I did the service at 57000km, changed the oil filter and used Toyota engine oil didn’t change air filter by instructions. And change the CVT oil same time. It wasn’t frequently happened to 2nd crank but sometimes very rarely was needed to do.

Since the car is new I thought this shouldn’t happened so I meet an engineer his advices was one plug doesn’t work properly out of three and it is the reason to engine vibration. So he did the fuel system cleanup with tune up to solve the issue, since that always I have to do 2nd crank to start the car. His explanation was due to bad fuel in Sri Lanka injectors doesn’t work properly and recommended to replace the injectors.

But I didn’t get any check light.

CVT oil change at 57000 km . :rolleyes: Refer to post No 11 in this

I have newly purchased TOYOTA Vitz 2008,F-grade, 1000cc was unregistered. Suddenly got a problem when starting sometimes it doesn't start at the first time. After I did fuel system cleaning through a mechanic who can do that type of fuel system. His recommendation also was it may cause from the fuel in Sri lanka even I have been use 95 octane.

After the fuel system cleaning it doesn't start always by first time again I have do to it for second time immediately. When I stopped the engine and did start within a minute time it can start by first time. I change the battery too but still the same. Does anyone know about this issue??? Please help.

First of all, befre changing everything and hoping it will sort itself out, you should take it to toyota lanka and get a diagnostic done, then go from there. They should b able to check the fuel pressure and stuff and check for any fault codes.

Get your fuel filter/pump assembly checked. A clogged filter might cause a delay in starting. Also replace your plugs. A fuel system cleaner will not clean a clogged filter.

• 3 weeks later...

Get your fuel filter/pump assembly checked. A clogged filter might cause a delay in starting. Also replace your plugs. A fuel system cleaner will not clean a clogged filter.

did the problem solved? anybody know how frequent we must change fuel filter?

Better you check fuel filter and fuel pump and filter inside the fuel tank that connected to the fuel pump. may be fuelpump have run without fuel when take the car to sri lanka. sometime you may want to replace the pump.

Edited by Nilantha

I don’t think it is anything to do with fuel, there are many Vitz 1.0 running on 90 octane without issues.

Since you have no unusual issues when the car is running I don’t think it is injectors of clogged fuel filter, my gut feeling is it is fuel delivery issue/ weak pressure during startup.

New cars have fuel pumps located inside the tank, once you on the ignition it start pumping fuel to the injection system which usually takes couple of seconds if the car was not running for few hours due to the fuel returning back to the tank.

If you listen carefully you might hear the sound of the pump working for few seconds building fuel pressure in the system.

Just wait for 5 – 6 seconds with the ignition on before starting the engine and see if the problem solves.

If not better take the car to an expert who had diagnostic facilities and get the car checked, believe me it will be the cheaper option.

Good luck