• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

A New Way Of Cheating At Fuel Sheds In Sl !!

Chathurike

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Openning this can of worms again because of something i experienced few hours back.

Because of a few complicated chain of incidents irrelevant to this discussion, tonight I ran out of fuel for the first time in my life. Car stopped in the middle of the road.

Luckily a filling station was close by from which I brought 3ltrs of petrol in 2 bottles just for me to tkae the car to the station for a full tank.

After bringing the car to the station, I asked the guy to pump until the its automatically stopped. After a wait I noticed that 49 Litres has gone in but the pump is operating at the full speed. For a moment there I thought that the sensor must be broken and asked the guy to stop pumping immediately. However, by the time he stopped it it was over 51 Litres but the it was no where close to a spillover.

So the initial 3 Litres plus the 51 added makes it 54 Litres. But the tank capacity is just 50L (Nissan Presea R11). Lets say the fuel circuit takes in 1 or 2 litres and the Fuel filler pipe takes the rest.

But I've seen when the tank is filled slightly more than its capacity the Fuel guage needle rises slightly passing the "F" mark. But in this case it was a bit lower than "F".

On the way I was just wondering if the pump was caliberated to show about 10% more than whats pumped? an easy way to make more profit right. In most of the occasions its not noticable. But with a rare situation similar to what I faced today, it could get highlighted.

What are your thoughts? Am I just being paranoid?

Also wanted to point out that I'm not a guy who tries to save every single cent on petrol. But no point in getting cheated if all this is true.

Edited by k9master

Members,

I was cheated for Rupees 500.00 by a pumper at a fuel station in JaEla few days back, when I requested to pump to fill my tank full, the total number of petrol was 12.6 liters and gave rupees 5000.00 note to one of my assistants to pay the money it was raining in the evening and there was few cars behind for fuel refilling.

Then the pumper requested me to take the vehicle forward to fill the next car. I took forward mine so that other car can be filled,

then it was raining heavily the pumper who took the money went to the cashier's room with the rupees 5000.00 to get the balance. Waited for about two minutes then another person came running and handed over the balance cash in one 1000.00. Rupee note and the rest was in 50 Rupee notes and few small notes.

Fortunately I counted the balance before I left the Petrol filling station. Giving few less coins is a very common thing in Supper markets.

Balance was exactly 500.00 rupees short. Although with heavy rain I got down wet in to the cashiers room requested a receipt for the balance then he called one of the pumpers and asked how much of petrol was pumped. this person who came in to say the number of liters pumped was the person who returned the money. He informs the cashier he is not the person who pumped the petrol, that pumper who pumped petrol to my vehicle, handed over the cash to him to give it to me and went for tea.

I was annoyed the way that they were behaving inside the cashiers room immediately I requested the complain book to make a complain. Cashier reluctantly handed over very dirty old book which there was few complains written early.

I had finished the writing the complain of mine, it took few minutes. the cashier called the pumper who was responsible for pumping petrol he was after a hot drink and smelling of same. I told the cashier that this is the person who pumped the fuel and let him give me a receipt signed by him and with the cashiers signature he went out checked the pump records and came with the correct amount of petrol pumped and told the cashier to write a receipt which cashier did.

I wanted the pumpers signature on the same. He immediately handed over the rupees 500.00 note to me. Which he got the other pumper to give the balance less Rupees. 500.00.

His explanation was that other pumper who handed over the money had given less rupees 500.00

Because due to heavy rain this pumper would have thought, I will drive off without counting the balance. Next day the owner of the petrol station contact me on my mobile, as I had my contact numbers written on the complain, apologized to me and wants me to write a letter to say that I got the money back, because the petroleum corporation will take steps to recover that balance with a warning to the owner.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Guys i got cheated for the first time,it was yesterday i pumped 2000 worth of fuel near palawatta juntion.the filling station next to palawatta keels super (my dad always refused to pump on this station).I was in line and one guy asked me to come forward to the second filling machine...i always had doubts on this machine .coz i have seen many times that they are doing some kind of repairs on that.I didn't notice the fuel level on my car after filling coz i already had about 1000rs.it was not empty.So after filling, the needle was somewhr in middle.But guess what i did about only 40km yestrydy and noticed fuel gauge coming down insanely and finally when i came home all 2000rs worth of fuel are gone.my car has always being giving good fuel figures when i pump at laugh gas stations(koswatta).so beware about palawatta filling station,mainly the filling machine near to keels super side.

Guys i got cheated for the first time,it was yesterday i pumped 2000 worth of fuel near palawatta juntion.the filling station next to palawatta keels super (my dad always refused to pump on this station).I was in line and one guy asked me to come forward to the second filling machine...i always had doubts on this machine .coz i have seen many times that they are doing some kind of repairs on that.I didn't notice the fuel level on my car after filling coz i already had about 1000rs.it was not empty.So after filling, the needle was somewhr in middle.But guess what i did about only 40km yestrydy and noticed fuel gauge coming down insanely and finally when i came home all 2000rs worth of fuel are gone.my car has always being giving good fuel figures when i pump at laugh gas stations(koswatta).so beware about palawatta filling station,mainly the filling machine near to keels super side.

u mean to say that their cheating is so good, they can even fool your car's fuel indicator??

Get off it dude... and get your car checked.

Edited by Crosswind

u mean to say that their cheating is so good, they can even fool your car's fuel indicator??

bro i realy dont know at to wat place the fuel gauge will come after filling 2000rs worth of fuel coz i already had my guage line upto 1st line..since it is a fb14 and with a petrol floater it doesnt realy give very accurate reading at the first place.it takes about few seconds.i was bit in a hurry and i ddnt worry dat much how much will the gauge will come upto.but i had doubts.(like realy this much)the car is doing fine till yestrdy and what i hv experince is some sort of unbelievable.thats why i wanted to share.

ohps!! are you serious machan? normally I use to be pump from jubili post junction shed. recently i have to pumped 2 times from the shed you mentioned. to be honest with you after pumped and finished my usual ride just felt like fuel consumption is not the same as other times. fuel indicator goes down faster than other times even I had the same route. i thought it is a problem with car, now I can understand why is that smile.gif thanks bro.

i used to fill my 141 here too and this happened to me as well. what a rip off.

LOL, yeah im also wondering how they fooled the fuel indicator :D

i can guarantee you that my car is not having any worse problem to have this kind of unbelievable consumption 40km to 13litres.car doesnt smell petrol or thrs no leakage.i did run after than and car is doing pretty well.

bro i realy dont know at to wat place the fuel gauge will come after filling 2000rs worth of fuel coz i already had my guage line upto 1st line..since it is a fb14 and with a petrol floater it doesnt realy give very accurate reading at the first place.it takes about few seconds.i was bit in a hurry and i ddnt worry dat much how much will the gauge will come upto.but i had doubts.(like realy this much)the car is doing fine till yestrdy and what i hv experince is some sort of unbelievable.thats why i wanted to share.

My whole point is if u had a quarter tank of petrol ('first line') and even if the guys in the shed pumped zilch, still it should take you more than 40 km. Hell... 4 litres ought to take u more than 40km and that's like 600 rupees of petrol!

U may have developed an issue with the airflow sensor or something so u might wanna get it checked. (Have never used an FB14 so I'm just making a guess here).

Edited by Crosswind

My whole point is if u had a quarter tank of petrol ('first line') and even if the guys in the shed pumped zilch, still it should take you more than 40 km. Hell... 4 litres ought to take u more than 40km and that's like 600 rupees of petrol!

U may have developed an issue with the airflow sensor or something so u might wanna get it checked. (Have never used an FB14 so I'm just making a guess here).

basicaly it does like 9km average city.somethng like 65km per 1000 so ya its realy like they have only pumped 1000rs of fuel.ill take yr advice see if thrs smthn with the car.but unbelivle evn with a faulty sensor it would use dat much.i think you hav mistaken that first line only remains now.

Edited by hhrxz

Honestly, I pump from the Pelawatta station nearly every weekend, and I have never had that issue. And I mean 1 or 2k worth of fuel, not a full tank obviously. And since you have no clue as to where your fuel indicator should be after pumping anything less than a full tank, I suggest you figure that out first . Also, if your car has the digital mileage meter, I'm sure the two trip meters can be used to compare two different sheds.

I guess we're more likely to point fingers at the pump bloke rather than ourselves.

Had two experiences at kohuwela ceypetco. The 24h shed. Once they clearly underestimated my wife and pumped rs. 2005 for 2500 and told her it was 2500 (balanna mey gahala thiyenne!) but she took it up with the manager and he pumped the missing 495.

Yesterday I pumped 3000, but again was in a hurry. Only checked the display while backing out. It was scrambled (displaying 8888.88) usually it holds the last pump value til next pump. And as I suspected, it was around 2000 that had been pumped.

Lesson learnt is never be lazy at a shed. Get your ar$e out of the car, stop the engine, and watch what's happening. And you'll be fine most of the time

• Like 1

Lesson learnt is never be lazy at a shed. Get your ar$e out of the car, stop the engine, and watch what's happening. And you'll be fine most of the time

+1 Something that we have been telling every person who comes here crying about being cheated at the pump.

Whenever someone comes here complaining about being cheated we have seen that every one of them have been cheated cos they think its beneath them to get out of the car and stand by the petrol cap while his car's being filled up. For all you know in their ignorant bliss they get cheated way more often than they imagine. And then they come here crying "ohh no, my car does only X kmpl, while my friend's car does X+1 kmpl...

Some people are beyond salvation I tell you...

• Like 1

Members,

If any petrol station cheats you only if you have good evidence, there is a complain book on all stations you can write a complain on that.

Next is to complain to petroleum corporation 115663354,complain number which was situated at Ngegoda. There is a responsible person who will go to that petrol distribution station and test the pumps.

If you go back on this thread you will find few months back there was a incident and the corporation one Mr. Abeygoonawardana went to that station did a inspection. I followed up that.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I almost always pump a full tank, I pay by card and hv to get a bill for the office -so I've got no choice but to be out watching the meter to get the rest of the things going. Guess what, I've never had a experience where I felt cheated. But I guess, getting out of your car to watch 6-7 liters being pumped in might not be worth the hassle to you or the next person in the Q.

But if you're pumping more than 25 liters, it makes more sense than not .. so long as you move the car once the deed is done.

Also, for the past 6 months I've stuck with Laugfs (99% of the time Kohuwala) and absolutely no issues with cheating or fuel quality.