• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Motorcycles In Sri Lanka

ShintaroX

Question

Hey all,

I've been keeping an eye on the local motorcycles and they're mostly Indian ones. The only sport bikes I've seen are Honda CBRs and while I get that they're well-designed and attractive, I'm not such a Honda bike guy. Well I've used a Firestorm for a while, quite happily, but my fave was the Kawasaki Ninja. I can't really explain why I liked it more, it certainly wasn't the looks, I'm not sure, I just felt like it was...well, me.

So, I've been casting my eye on the roads and I only see CBRs. I saw 1 GSX, but it looked like it was dying a slow death. I stopped at a bike shop and had a chat with the owner. In my broken Sinhala I tried to ascertain why he stocked only Hondas and he said "Honda's market have" and I asked him why he doesn't have any Kawasakis and he said, predictably "ah Kawasakis market no have". Ducattis? I asked facetiously, and he raised his palm to his forehead and uttered an "arpo...". Thats right. He facepalmed me at the mention of the Ducatti.

So I appeal to you AutoLankans...please help me make sense of all this....what is this Honda CBR fever? How come no other bike can get a foot (or wheel) in the door?

And, most importantly...will I never own a Kawasaki Ninja here on paradise isle? Must I go on living like this half-person, like my life is missing something that only a Ninja can fill (how ironic that ninjas usually take away bits of people's lives!), even if it is only a poofy 250R?

Will I never get a chance to look into the Ninja's headlight and while my wife is momentarily distracted, say "U complete me"?

p.s. apologies for the melodrama.

Looking at the blkr6's post, I'm wondering when my 99'R1 is going to start losing horsepower too :D LOL

any internal combustion engine looses power over time. internal wear reduces compression causing it to have less power than what it used to put out when its new. old carburetored bike like that tend to have more wear than a newer fuel injected bikes due to almost perfect air/fuel ratio. since its a 1000cc motorcycle it tends to have less wear in-comparison to smaller engines that rev higher. yamaha tend to wear out faster because their peak power output is at higher RPMs. if the motorcycle has never been raced this is not a problem.

i never boasts my self, i rather keep a low profile of my bikes. when it times to prove my self against bunch of idiots....yes i have to "boast" to show how im "experienced" in the motorcycle industry.

Is "RnR cycles, 45700 Woodland Rd, #160, Sterling, VA 20166" close to kottawa? I'm kind familiar with with area. There's gunasena's 'bicycle repairs' is that the place?

And next time can you blur out your face when you post photos? Cos its so dam ugly, and I just lost my appetite for lunch.

any internal combustion engine looses power over time. internal wear reduces compression causing it to have less power than what it used to put out when its new. old carburetored bike like that tend to have more wear than a newer fuel injected bikes due to almost perfect air/fuel ratio. since its a 1000cc motorcycle it tends to have less wear in-comparison to smaller engines that rev higher. yamaha tend to wear out faster because their peak power output is at higher RPMs. if the motorcycle has never been raced this is not a problem.

Thank you for your valuable comments bkr6 ;)

My R1 has run approx 18500kms so far. Its never been ridden on the road. Its a race spec bike. & its been on the dyno recently & still shows the same hp figures it showed 3years ago. (I got the bike in 2006)

Based on your argument, I'd say the internal wear also depends on the fuel mixtures , type & viscosity of the lubricants used & the way the bike is ridden. Not whether its carburated or fuel injected.

I beg to differ on your claim that yamahas tend to wear out faster due to their peak power output at higher rpms. It all depends on how the bike is tuned & once you put the bike on the dyno, the power delivery curve will show it.

Those who remove the exup unit, end up making their engines peakier, while those who retain the exup unit will find that their power delivery is smooth & balanced. Its not whether you race it or just ride it on the road.

By the looks of it your R6 doesnt seem to have an exup unit, which means your engine is obviously peaky. This is how you've based your opinion on all yamahas wearing out faster than other brands.

cheers

Edited by shamitz
  • Like 1

Is "RnR cycles, 45700 Woodland Rd, #160, Sterling, VA 20166" close to kottawa? I'm kind familiar with with area. There's gunasena's 'bicycle repairs' is that the place?

And next time can you blur out your face when you post photos? Cos its so dam ugly, and I just lost my appetite for lunch.

oh year its very close to kottawa! sure im ugly and you lost your appetite, at least im not a ######## like you to check out other dudes to see whether they are hot or not.

this is funny lots of haters making my day really happy. lol

oh year its very close to kottawa! sure im ugly and you lost your appetite, at least im not a ######## like you to check out other dudes to see whether they are hot or not.

this is funny lots of haters making my day really happy. lol

not many haters here... But most of them r allergic to bullshit :rolleyes:

Thank you for your valuable comments bkr6 ;)

My R1 has run approx 18500kms so far. Its never been ridden on the road. Its a race spec bike. & its been on the dyno recently & still shows the same hp figures it showed 3years ago. (I got the bike in 2006)

Based on your argument, I'd say the internal wear also depends on the fuel mixtures , type & viscosity of the lubricants used & the way the bike is ridden. Not whether its carburated or fuel injected.

I beg to differ on your claim that yamahas tend to wear out faster due to their peak power output at higher rpms. It all depends on how the bike is tuned & once you put the bike on the dyno, the power delivery curve will show it.

Those who remove the exup unit, end up making their engines peakier, while those who retain the exup unit will find that their power delivery is smooth & balanced. Its not whether you race it or just ride it on the road.

By the looks of it your R6 doesnt seem to have an exup unit, which means your engine is obviously peaky. This is how you've based your opinion on all yamahas wearing out faster than other brands.

cheers

03-05 never came equipped with a exup unit and most Yamaha are peaky engines which results in more power with increased wear. of course you wont loose any power because 18k kms are nothing for a R1. on my R6 the redline is at 16k rpms and i always shift at abourn 12-14k, installed a power comander, dyno tuned, suspension set up for my weight.

my R6 got 32186 kms and Zx6r 77248kms got mixed of road and raced miles.

not many haters here... But most of them r allergic to bullshit :rolleyes:

there is no reson for me to bullshit something negative about my own motorcycle/experience, its another story if i Bullshit unbelievably positive.

03-05 never came equipped with a exup unit and most Yamaha are peaky engines which results in more power with increased wear. of course you wont loose any power because 18k kms are nothing for a R1. on my R6 the redline is at 16k rpms and i always shift at abourn 12-14k, installed a power comander, dyno tuned, suspension set up for my weight.

my R6 got 32186 kms and Zx6r 77248kms got mixed of road and raced miles.

even if my R1's gone over 25k kms, I recon its still not going to have any power drops.

Yes I figured that your model of R6 doesnt have the exup. which makes it peakier. However that doesnt label the whole range of motorcycles in the brand (Yamaha) as faster wear on the their engines.

Btw, all 600s peak at 16k+ rpm range.

Good luck mate ;)

cheers

http://www.bikepics.com/members/shameedperera/

Honda offers a overall good bike. i think reliability is a key factor that Sri Lankans appreciate. i own and race a 05 R6 and a 05 Kawasaki ZX6r 636. both of my bikes are not as reliable as hondas. Yamaha looses horsepower after two years of racing and the Kawasaki starts clicking around 20k miles.

there is no reson for me to bullshit something negative about my own motorcycle/experience, its another story if i Bullshit unbelievably positive.

U have stated that both your bikes are not reliable as honda... Anyone who is even a tab bit knowledgeable with regard to vehicles know that there is gonna be some wear & tear. But it defers to different situations. No one can accurately pin point that a certain model looses power exactly after two years or after doing 20k miles... I think thats bull shit...

• Like 1

dude i race bikes as a hobby and my household have 9 motorcycles. i build race bikes and cafe racers . i dyno my bike before races and my r6 lost 30 horsepower before its rebuild. i speak with experience!!!!

great collection of bikes you got there.

this 30hp power loss...i'm assuming you got them back after the rebuild. was this only a top end job or did you replace the pistons as well?

And i think it's unfair to generalize just because your R6 lost power!

That can be due to multitude of reasons and i'm sure i don't need to explain that.

Anyone who is even a tab bit knowledgeable with regard to vehicles know that there is gonna be some wear & tear. But it defers to different situations. No one can accurately pin point that a certain model looses power exactly after two years or after doing 20k miles... I think thats bull shit...

1+ CP

U have stated that both your bikes are not reliable as honda... Anyone who is even a tab bit knowledgeable with regard to vehicles know that there is gonna be some wear & tear. But it defers to different situations. No one can accurately pin point that a certain model looses power exactly after two years or after doing 20k miles... I think thats bull shit...

Honda Makes the Most Reliable bikes and that's a FACT wont change!!!!! and it might be look small to you but those miles are not easy miles.

Edited by blkr6

Honda Makes the Most Reliable bikes and that's a FACT wont change!!!!! and it might be look small to you but those miles are not easy miles.

You sound like the typical auto buyer in sri lanka... Who comes up with stuff like

"dora paha thiyana van market naha"

Edited by Chooti Putha
  • Like 1

i work with Facts! not opinions. all my statements were based on factual data. egsample of an opinion: Family ecoboxes like Honda Civics should be left alone like eco-boxes not race cars.

Edited by blkr6

i work with Facts! not opinions. all my statements were based on factual data. egsample of an opinion: Family ecoboxes like Honda Civics should be left alone like eco-boxes not race cars.

well from what i can see...you're generalizing yammies loosing considerable amount of horse power in 2 years and kawis "clicking" at 20k.

and this is only based from the couple of bikes you have owned and raced. which amounts to nothing much compared to the amount of similar bikes that are out there.

There are people who bust there honda CRF's in just one race, doesn't mean the entire CRF lineup or even Honda is unreliable.

I would love to know the extent of the rebuild and what exactly was wrong with it? worn pistons? worn/damaged cams etc?

Also the the kawi "ticking" at 20k... is this the timing chain, valve noise or something else?

for the record. i dont know much about sportbikes. I'm into enduro/offroad types.

• Like 2

well from what i can see...you're generalizing yammies loosing considerable amount of horse power in 2 years and kawis "clicking" at 20k.

and this is only based from the couple of bikes you have owned and raced. which amounts to nothing much compared to the amount of similar bikes that are out there.

There are people who bust there honda CRF's in just one race, doesn't mean the entire CRF lineup or even Honda is unreliable.

I would love to know the extent of the rebuild and what exactly was wrong with it? worn pistons? worn/damaged cams etc?

Also the the kawi "ticking" at 20k... is this the timing chain, valve noise or something else?

for the record. i dont know much about sportbikes. I'm into enduro/offroad types.

valves and pistons, i refreshed the whole engine due to low compression and i friends who race pretty regularly that rebuilds there motors.

with the Kawi zx6rs there is a design flow, when you drain oil and replace the filter for the oil change it creates an air pocket and restrict oil flow to the top causing it to wear the top end. there is a trick to take the air pocket out right after the oil change, but if the bike as been worked on by somebody who dont know about the bike can lead to some damage. i bought by bike used so i had to deal with the click that caused by the previous owner.

Nice bikes Pravin. I ride a 07 R6 here and now i got around 15ks on it but still goes hard but again have never dynoed it to comment about the power but I would agree with others telling not to generalise Yammis just because of your ride. Some questions. Are you using different maps for track/ road riding? What kind of a PC are you using? (i mean PC 3?) What kind of a pipe have you got on it? I think some thing might have gone wrong after the rebuild. What was the compression before and after the rebuild? Never seen a track in my life and the max i have did is around 200km/h which is not that much. Had a Cibbie before and gave her and got this and I'm happy with my decission. Me thinks Yammies handle better and have a better riding position too. Had back pains with the Cibbie but did around 850ks in one go in this and had no dramas at all. Any ways safe riding every one.