• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Motorcycles In Sri Lanka

ShintaroX

Question

Hey all,

I've been keeping an eye on the local motorcycles and they're mostly Indian ones. The only sport bikes I've seen are Honda CBRs and while I get that they're well-designed and attractive, I'm not such a Honda bike guy. Well I've used a Firestorm for a while, quite happily, but my fave was the Kawasaki Ninja. I can't really explain why I liked it more, it certainly wasn't the looks, I'm not sure, I just felt like it was...well, me.

So, I've been casting my eye on the roads and I only see CBRs. I saw 1 GSX, but it looked like it was dying a slow death. I stopped at a bike shop and had a chat with the owner. In my broken Sinhala I tried to ascertain why he stocked only Hondas and he said "Honda's market have" and I asked him why he doesn't have any Kawasakis and he said, predictably "ah Kawasakis market no have". Ducattis? I asked facetiously, and he raised his palm to his forehead and uttered an "arpo...". Thats right. He facepalmed me at the mention of the Ducatti.

So I appeal to you AutoLankans...please help me make sense of all this....what is this Honda CBR fever? How come no other bike can get a foot (or wheel) in the door?

And, most importantly...will I never own a Kawasaki Ninja here on paradise isle? Must I go on living like this half-person, like my life is missing something that only a Ninja can fill (how ironic that ninjas usually take away bits of people's lives!), even if it is only a poofy 250R?

Will I never get a chance to look into the Ninja's headlight and while my wife is momentarily distracted, say "U complete me"?

p.s. apologies for the melodrama.

not sure of exact stats but i would guess hondas are the largest jap bike brand in sl. it's kinda like a toyota car scenario. brand has been here forever, means the number of specimens on the road are quite high. And also, they are pretty reliable machines and that's a key component for a automotive brand to work, especially in sl context.

So...naturally hondas are the most faved bike if you were to go by numbers. I own two myself. An older mtx200 and an XR250.

The latter went around the country hugging the coast wherever possible with other XR's in 5days :)

On local sport/street bikes... you get a shit load of CB400's, bandits etc etc.... a few kawis too.

MasterDon has some mean machines including a Kawi :)

check this

https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=13401609159

and you need to get out a bit more mate :P

• Like 1

I've seen a couple of ninjas around the country.FYI .Ducatis are beasts but for us sri lankans its hard to have and pet one . No spares,350cc restriction and so on . I'm a kawasaki fan honda and the suzuki but all in the area where they have em' motards on.You can import a ninja 250r from thailand.

hit me up on fb i have some pics of bikes i had

facebook.com/PetKKo

well i guess now the market has improved on the Yamaha's and the Suzuki's..

My Collection :

Yamaha R1 Limited Edition - 2003

Honda CBR 600RR - 2006

Yamha Yzf 125 - 2010

U like Suzuki Bandit S - 1.3L (16V DOHC)...:alc:

(Will not give more info..<COOPPS..!!> If you a lucky u'll see in Colombo)

not sure of exact stats but i would guess hondas are the largest jap bike brand in sl. it's kinda like a toyota car scenario. brand has been here forever, means the number of specimens on the road are quite high. And also, they are pretty reliable machines and that's a key component for a automotive brand to work, especially in sl context.

So...naturally hondas are the most faved bike if you were to go by numbers. I own two myself. An older mtx200 and an XR250.

The latter went around the country hugging the coast wherever possible with other XR's in 5days :)

On local sport/street bikes... you get a shit load of CB400's, bandits etc etc.... a few kawis too.

MasterDon has some mean machines including a Kawi :)

check this

https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=13401609159

and you need to get out a bit more mate :P

Thanks for the link Ripper. Very nice to see so many HC bikes and most of them in really good nick.

Thanks for the link Ripper. Very nice to see so many HC bikes and most of them in really good nick.

Yes indeed!

Still this R1 - http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=58648 advertised not having a valid license plate (or is it hidden) is a concern. Is it a good buy at that price? Say compared to this mint looking CB4 - http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=59875

Thanks!

Yes indeed!

Still this R1 - http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=58648 advertised not having a valid license plate (or is it hidden) is a concern. Is it a good buy at that price? Say compared to this mint looking CB4 - http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=59875

Thanks!

I dont think we should be discussing the vehicles that are advertised on the site... Since they are the paying customers who keep this site going.....

• Like 2

1+ on CP. we al know the laws on rather lame "restrictions".... when in doubt, use common sense :)

The restrictions are lame all rite . Then again there are so many in-experienced riders who just hit the throttle without thinking twice of how they could have any control over there precious ride. So it would be good on the safe side .

The restrictions are lame all rite . Then again there are so many in-experienced riders who just hit the throttle without thinking twice of how they could have any control over there precious ride. So it would be good on the safe side .

I say you're right, and you're wrong!

You're right, there's lots of new-riders who have no idea on proper riding, cos well frankly there's hardly any proper training.

You're wrong cos limiting everyone to a small bike doesnt help either.

In S'pore getting a license isnt as easy as it is in SL. They have 'courses' which you have to follow and you have to pass each stage before you goto the next. And they cover everything, from proper posture, to handling, to emergency breaking to whatnot. And even after all this you can only get a license for a 200cc bike. You have to hold that 200cc license before you can enroll in more courses to get a license for 400cc bikes, and then another year before you can apply for unlimited bikes. Even i feel its a major hassle at times, but in the end it really does make you a proper competent driver/rider before you even hit public roads.

The problem with giving such a comprehensive lesson is that it costs money, and as soon as its made compulsory our dumb-asses cry "ohh the government is trying to take more of our money.. boohoo"...

• Like 4

your absolutley right!

I say you're right, and you're wrong!

You're right, there's lots of new-riders who have no idea on proper riding, cos well frankly there's hardly any proper training.

You're wrong cos limiting everyone to a small bike doesnt help either.

In S'pore getting a license isnt as easy as it is in SL. They have 'courses' which you have to follow and you have to pass each stage before you goto the next. And they cover everything, from proper posture, to handling, to emergency breaking to whatnot. And even after all this you can only get a license for a 200cc bike. You have to hold that 200cc license before you can enroll in more courses to get a license for 400cc bikes, and then another year before you can apply for unlimited bikes. Even i feel its a major hassle at times, but in the end it really does make you a proper competent driver/rider before you even hit public roads.

The problem with giving such a comprehensive lesson is that it costs money, and as soon as its made compulsory our dumb-asses cry "ohh the government is trying to take more of our money.. boohoo"...

Honda offers a overall good bike. i think reliability is a key factor that Sri Lankans appreciate. i own and race a 05 R6 and a 05 Kawasaki ZX6r 636. both of my bikes are not as reliable as hondas. Yamaha looses horsepower after two years of racing and the Kawasaki starts clicking around 20k miles.

Honda offers a overall good bike. i think reliability is a key factor that Sri Lankans appreciate. i own and race a 05 R6 and a 05 Kawasaki ZX6r 636. both of my bikes are not as reliable as hondas. Yamaha looses horsepower after two years of racing and the Kawasaki starts clicking around 20k miles.

In SL or abroad?

Dude u gotta be kidding me :rolleyes: